DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2 Regulations in Barcelona, Spain.

DBonilla21

Reactions
Does anyone know what the actual laws are? I keep going to a bunch of different websites and I keep reading a bunch of contradictory information. I have a Mavic Mini 2 which is 249g and plan on using it recreationally. Do I need to register as a foreigner, do I need to get a certification? Where can I fly? How do I get authorization to fly in specific locations? Where in Barcelona can I fly it? I already know all the regulations in terms of flight altitude and VLOS but can't find anywhere to show me where to get authorization or start the process to be able to fly it.

I will be traveling outside of Barcelona to Montserrat as well as Besalu, and some other outer towns. Is there an app to get authorization or something? Can someone help me out with this, please?

Does anyone know what the actual laws are? I keep going to a bunch of different websites and I keep reading a bunch of contradictory information. I have a Mavic Mini 2 which is 249g and plan on using it recreationally. Do I need to register as a foreigner, do I need to get a certification? Where can I fly? How do I get authorization to fly in specific locations? Where in Barcelona can I fly it? I already know all the regulations in terms of flight altitude and VLOS but can't find anywhere to show me where to get authorization or start the process to be able to fly it.

I will be traveling outside of Barcelona to Montserrat as well as Besalu, and some other outer towns. Is there an app to get authorization or something? Can someone help me out with this, please?
It’s extremely complicated. The easiest part is doing the A1/A3 test. I did that through a Luxembourg website and it took about 2 hours (98% pass rate).
The harder thing is trying to get an operator ID. The Spanish system proves very difficult as it’s asking for a TAX ID/NIE but I am not taxed or domiciled in Spain. I am based in the UK.
ENAIRE is what you need to check before you fly anyway not the DJI app. Barcelona has a lot of no fly zones and no photographic zones. I’m having a similar issue near Estepona and I haven’t even managed to get the operator ID issue resolved yet.

It’s extremely complicated. The easiest part is doing the A1/A3 test. I did that through a Luxembourg website and it took about 2 hours (98% pass rate).
The harder thing is trying to get an operator ID. The Spanish system proves very difficult as it’s asking for a TAX ID/NIE but I am not taxed or domiciled in Spain. I am based in the UK.
ENAIRE is what you need to check before you fly anyway not the DJI app. Barcelona has a lot of no fly zones and no photographic zones. I’m having a similar issue near Estepona and I haven’t even managed to get the operator ID issue resolved yet.
Thank you for the reply. Do I have to do all of this even for my Mavic Mini 2? It weighs less than the 250g limit for most registrations. I do check ENAIRE and pretty much all of Barcelona is a no-fly zone, so I'm probably not going to fly it there and fly it more in the country side when I visit outside the city.

Thank you for the reply. Do I have to do all of this even for my Mavic Mini 2? It weighs less than the 250g limit for most registrations. I do check ENAIRE and pretty much all of Barcelona is a no-fly zone, so I'm probably not going to fly it there and fly it more in the country side when I visit outside the city.
You should use ENAIRE and check that before flying not the DJI app. The DJI app really helps with showing airports and airspace that is a complete no go.
The Mini 2 has a camera so isn’t classed as a toy - test and operator ID is required. If you can figure out the operator ID please let me know 😅

You should use ENAIRE and check that before flying not the DJI app. The DJI app really helps with showing airports and airspace that is a complete no go.
The Mini 2 has a camera so isn’t classed as a toy - test and operator ID is required. If you can figure out the operator ID please let me know 😅
Will do! Already started the testing process. Do you know if you can request authorization to fly in the ENAIRE app? I can't seem to find it.

It’s best to view it on a laptop/pc. Check the area and see what restrictions there are. Sometimes it’s more than one organisation i.e: airport airspace (red) and restrictive flight zone RFV. Can get very complicated for recreation.

I'm recently back from a trip to France & Spain. My understanding is that you register your drone and take the training in 1 geography and the same registration is used throughout the EU. I registered and completed training in France website without problems, so that could be an option. Using the Enaire (on laptop) or IcarusRPA app on iphone will let you know where you can fly. Unfortunately, large areas in Spain are marked as no RPA flights allowed without specific clearance. I was not able to find a spot to launch my drone in Spain. Finally, sub 250g doesn't change anything, you still need to register etc...

I'm recently back from a trip to France & Spain. My understanding is that you register your drone and take the training in 1 geography and the same registration is used throughout the EU. I registered and completed training in France website without problems, so that could be an option. Using the Enaire (on laptop) or IcarusRPA app on iphone will let you know where you can fly. Unfortunately, large areas in Spain are marked as no RPA flights allowed without specific clearance. I was not able to find a spot to launch my drone in Spain. Finally, sub 250g doesn't change anything, you still need to register etc...
Wow! I went on the French website and its much easier than the Spanish counter part. France seem to have two codes though? They have a code for Valid aircraft which starts with UAS-FR-xxxxxx which needs to go on the drone. However UAS Operator has another code which is FRAxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Which one has to be stuck on the aircraft? I already passed the A1/A3 test in Luxemburg but why does France have two codes?

Wow! I went on the French website and its much easier than the Spanish counter part. France seem to have two codes though? They have a code for Valid aircraft which starts with UAS-FR-xxxxxx which needs to go on the drone. However UAS Operator has another code which is FRAxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Which one has to be stuck on the aircraft? I already passed the A1/A3 test in Luxemburg but why does France have two codes?
So I was able to do the exam on the Luxembourg site as well. I was also able to find the registration site for Spain. So this site is a general page with all Drone links in regards to Spain. At the bottom there is a section for registering your drone. Drones | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento

This is the main site for registering as clicking the thumbnail on the above link takes you to another page where you have to request access. Here is the direct application form: AESA - aplicación UAS / UAS web application

Lastly here is a general purpose link to all EASA countries and their respective sites for registration/guides etc.

Reactions: Gallego1
So I was able to do the exam on the Luxembourg site as well. I was also able to find the registration site for Spain. So this site is a general page with all Drone links in regards to Spain. At the bottom there is a section for registering your drone. Drones | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento

This is the main site for registering as clicking the thumbnail on the above link takes you to another page where you have to request access. Here is the direct application form: AESA - aplicación UAS / UAS web application

Lastly here is a general purpose link to all EASA countries and their respective sites for registration/guides etc.
I have no idea how you did the UAS web application because firstly natural person is someone who lives in Spain (I tried this but putting my Uk details and it got declined). The second option is Legal entity which is what it should be but they ask for tax information as if you are a limited company or company operating in Spain.

The French site is so much easier and simpler. I’ve already done it all there and registered as an operator and registered my drone. I can’t register again now so might pop over to France before I head over to Spain.

How you did it? I have no idea….

I have no idea how you did the UAS web application because firstly natural person is someone who lives in Spain (I tried this but putting my Uk details and it got declined). The second option is Legal entity which is what it should be but they ask for tax information as if you are a limited company or company operating in Spain.

The French site is so much easier and simpler. I’ve already done it all there and registered as an operator and registered my drone. I can’t register again now so might pop over to France before I head over to Spain.

How you did it? I have no idea….
For NIF I just input my passport number. Now granted I literally just did this 20 minutes ago so I'm not sure I will get approved or not. They had a section where you needed input a copy of your NIF/ID/Passport so because it was all 3 categorized I figured that NIF above had to be my passport number.

In regards to the French site does that mean your registration there will work in Spain since they are part of the EASA? Can you provide me a link if this is true incase I get denied. I would really appreciate it.

For NIF I just input my passport number. Now granted I literally just did this 20 minutes ago so I'm not sure I will get approved or not. They had a section where you needed input a copy of your NIF/ID/Passport so because it was all 3 categorized I figured that NIF above had to be my passport number.

In regards to the French site does that mean your registration there will work in Spain since they are part of the EASA? Can you provide me a link if this is true incase I get denied. I would really appreciate it.
It looks like you have filled in the natural persons form. That’s for Spanish citizens only so you’ll most likely be declined. Under legal entity yes there is a section for passport which is correct but the two fields above are for tax and company details.

ALPHATANGO is where you can register as an operator for France. Once you have an operator ID for an EU country it will apply to all EU countries and you can’t register again. It says you must fly in the destination country first but with covid and all the travel nonsense I doubt they are going to police that.

Did you fly at all in Spain?

The ENAIRE and IcarusRPA show different information.

For instance, choose Prohibited Areas and look how sparse the map is. Or Restricted Areas, which is also very limited.

I would be surprised if Spain and Portugal have so few Prohibited or Restricted areas for drone flights.

You can click Full Map instead and it's still a LOT LESS than what the ENAIRE web app shows.

Did you fly at all in Spain?

The ENAIRE and IcarusRPA show different information.

For instance, choose Prohibited Areas and look how sparse the map is. Or Restricted Areas, which is also very limited.

I would be surprised if Spain and Portugal have so few Prohibited or Restricted areas for drone flights.

You can click Full Map instead and it's still a LOT LESS than what the ENAIRE web app shows.
I didn’t fly in the end as I was at a golf academy working on my game and the course was in a restricted photo zone. I could have flown my drone near Estepona beach areas (some) but didn’t bother as just went for a nice walk.
ENAIRE is the safest option to see where you can fly. It includes ICArus data as well. The fines in Spain are ridiculous so it’s not worth it taking a risk unless you have the go ahead flight wise from the government authorities.
I did fill out a form and got a response saying it’s this department you have to talk to for that zone. It asks for exact time and length of flying, exact coordinates. It’s quite lengthy and very strict. I could do it but to just get a few shots of the golf course (plus I would have to ask the golf course as well).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura