DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini 2 with possible Ocusync

Tobbias

Reactions
Hi All ,

Can I just ask for bit of advice please guys , I have just bought the mavic mini fly combo , now with the mini 2 coming out with rumours of Ocusync, .

Main Question is does Ocusync work with a mobile phone or will I need a new remote control , and am therefore better off keeping my mm1 or outlaying £579 for the DJI Ocusync remote.

Sorry for being so naive, still new to the drone world.
Thanks for any advice/info

Happy Flying

Reactions: KayBayquoi
I have a Mini and a Mavic 2 Pro with Occusync. The connectivity is pretty much the same. You attach your phone the same way and turn everything on the same way. Your current Mavic Mini is not currently able to use an Ocusync remote. While Ocusync provides a more solid connection, there is nothing wrong with the Mini's current system if you stay within parameters.

If you can still return your Mini and wait for the next generation, that would probably be the smart thing to do as the 4k video upgrade itself will make it worth the wait along with the Ocusync. I have to wonder if DJI will come out with firmware that will give the Mini 1 some of the upgraded features of the Mini 2? They use the same camera sensor, so is there really a reason why they couldn't upgrade the Mini 1 to 4k video?

I have a Mini and a Mavic 2 Pro with Occusync. The connectivity is pretty much the same. You attach your phone the same way and turn everything on the same way. Your current Mavic Mini is not currently able to use an Ocusync remote. While Ocusync provides a more solid connection, there is nothing wrong with the Mini's current system if you stay within parameters.

If you can still return your Mini and wait for the next generation, that would probably be the smart thing to do as the 4k video upgrade itself will make it worth the wait along with the Ocusync. I have to wonder if DJI will come out with firmware that will give the Mini 1 some of the upgraded features of the Mini 2? They use the same camera sensor, so is there really a reason why they couldn't upgrade the Mini 1 to 4k video?
Thanks for the reply, as I say bit new to his hobby .

So with Ocusync I wouldn’t need to buy the DJI smart controller, think missus would shout if had to pay another £579 out , so. Can connect my iPhone to the remote and use Ocusync reception am I correct.
The mavic mini 1 is only 1week old and still boxed as I’m on hols at mo haven’t used it so was thinking if worth it taking back and upgrading to mm2 , have heard that the mm2 is about 14% more expensive than the mm1 so if this is case would be worth it .

Thanks again

the mavic mini 2 ,will not be a good investment if it does not have the New c marking to take advantage of the new rules coming in in the new year
and as far as occusync is concerned, then it will give a more stable link between RC and drone but it wont make it any easier to see the drone at distance or make it fly any better in the wind

the mavic mini 2 ,will not be a good investment if it does not have the New c marking to take advantage of the new rules coming in in the new year
and as far as occusync is concerned, then it will give a more stable link between RC and drone but it wont make it any easier to see the drone at distance or make it fly any better in the wind
Thanks for the reply,

I am based in UK so have the CE model and although appreciate the rules of flying to a he view of the eye have heard that with the lower power reception you can loose reception from as little as 500mtr .

I have seen that a set of parabolic reflectors help with reception so was considering these to boost reception whilst still obeying line of sight-on the drone .

Thanks again , think the mm1 looks a great start drone but didn’t want to get left behind for sake of few £ more

Reactions: Gary R
Thanks for the reply, as I say bit new to his hobby .

So with Ocusync I wouldn’t need to buy the DJI smart controller, think missus would shout if had to pay another £579 out , so. Can connect my iPhone to the remote and use Ocusync reception am I correct.
The mavic mini 1 is only 1week old and still boxed as I’m on hols at mo haven’t used it so was thinking if worth it taking back and upgrading to mm2 , have heard that the mm2 is about 14% more expensive than the mm1 so if this is case would be worth it .

Thanks again

IF you can return it, I have a suggestion, while it may cost you a bit more money might save you some buyers remorse going forward... Unless registration and rules make it odious or cumbersome, take the Mini back and buy the Mavic Air 2. I think the Mini is a wonderful drone in many situations and the Mini 2 will be even better. But you will avoid the mistake that I made, wanting to upgrade only weeks into Mini ownership. The biggest weakness of the Mini which will not change in the Mini2 is the motor power and ability to overcome strong winds. I found myself not flying half the days I would have otherwise flown due to wind gusts with the Mini. Within 4 weeks of owning the Mini I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro. Had I gotten the Mavic Air2 I think I'd have been extremely happy and wouldn't have thought of upgrading further for a long while.

One of the advantages of the Mini that prevent me from selling it is that it is small enough and agile enough to be flown indoors. I suspect the Mini2 will be even more responsive with Ocusync 2.0, but I'm only guessing on that. I do know that my Mavic 2 is more responsive than my Mini which allows me to whip it around quicker and tighter.

Bottom line: If you can return the Mini and wait for the MM2 or just buy the MA2 now. JMO...YMMV

if you can see a MM at 500mts (1645ft ) then you have very good eyesight ,you would struggle to see a M2P at that distance
any drone you buy now in the uk ,will become a legacy drone when the new rules come in, and in two years they will be even more restricted
even the MM will need to be registered and flown with a flier ID

if you can see a MM at 500mts (1645ft ) then you have very good eyesight ,you would struggle to see a M2P at that distance
any drone you buy now in the uk ,will become a legacy drone when the new rules come in, and in two years they will be even more restricted
even the MM will need to be registered and flown with a flier ID

I couldn't agree more.
I'm not familiar with the rules and their impact on pilots in the UK, but here in the US if your drone is over 249 gms, weighed with any accessories attached it needs to be registered. I knew I'd be putting strobes on it and maybe other things so I registered mine on day 1. In the US I don't think it's a big deal at this time and only costs $5. Because the registration here doesn't even ask for the model or serial of the drone you could conceivably use the same registration number on multiple drones. So how are the UK rules and restrictions different than in the US?

Having said that, and acknowledging what @old man mavic said, if registration in your area isn't a big deal, then I say buy at least one strobe for your Mini (or whatever drone you fly) and register it (not that anyone is going to come around with a jewelry scale to find a 10gm difference). As said, just a few feet away and your drone is a spec in the sky. Additionally, as we all know, the stick handling is directly related to the drone's orientation toward you. So it's probably important that you know what direction it's pointed in, especially if you're not adept as spotting position and orientation on the map. One solution is a headlight strobe so you can see when it's pointed at you. Below find a photo with one solution to visually identify orientation toward you.

Arc_headlight.jpg
Not the strobe isn't seated flush. I ordered the strobe unmounted so I could use it in other positions without the mount. I modified the mount later so i would sit flush inside, held by velcro.

Reactions: old man mavic
Thanks guys , I was just using this he 500 mtr as a rough guide where the reception disconnected as I haven’t flown my mm1 yet as I’m on hols as was only going by a few yt videos I have seen .

As for the weight I have a CAA flyers licence and ID so the weight isn’t a problem I think it’s anything between 250g and 20kg so I’m ok with adding accessories.

the MM will need to be registered after the end of December this year ,and a flier ID test done to fly it ,its not so much the weight, but because of the fact it has a camera on it ,i am in the process of doing my A2 CofC qualification ,not because i want to fly commercially , but , because it will mean i can fly with less restrictions on distance from uninvolved people and built up areas ,during the two year transitional period with my legacy drones

Reactions: Gkinghrn and WooZie
I think the fly more at the recent $399 sale price is still a good deal, even with the Mini 2 looming on the horizon. I have an Air 2 that I love, but picked up a mini for flying around the house and out front. Mainly it will be for practice and for fun, but also because a smaller drone won' make the neighbors as nervous. I think the mini will retain enough value, even after the MM2 comes out, that I can still sell it for a decent amount if I find I want the newer one, or decide it isn't getting used enough.

I also wanted to introduce my 9 year old and 7 year old to flying. I got them a Tello, but it really isn't much more than a toy, so they may have more interest with the MM2.

I can tell you this, a new Mavic Mini 2 with the fly more combo won't be selling for $399, that's for sure, so I'm sure you could even make a case for the existence of both bundles. DJI did a smart thing letting Amazon blow the MM2 bundle out. Right about Xmas time there will be 250,000 new MM owners contemplating the MA2 or the M2 Pro after realizing the MM limitations.

With the mini 2 coming out I would wait. I had the original mm and tbh the wind here in the South coast U.K. was a real issue for it .. the mini 2 will have the same issue ... the Air 2 would be the one to go for ..

the weight limit on the MM is irrelevant as OMM has said ..it’s got a camera so it needs registered..

I think the fly more at the recent $399 sale price is still a good deal, even with the Mini 2 looming on the horizon. I have an Air 2 that I love, but picked up a mini for flying around the house and out front. Mainly it will be for practice and for fun, but also because a smaller drone won' make the neighbors as nervous. I think the mini will retain enough value, even after the MM2 comes out, that I can still sell it for a decent amount if I find I want the newer one, or decide it isn't getting used enough.

I also wanted to introduce my 9 year old and 7 year old to flying. I got them a Tello, but it really isn't much more than a toy, so they may have more interest with the MM2.

I can tell you this, a new Mavic Mini 2 with the fly more combo won't be selling for $399, that's for sure, so I'm sure you could even make a case for the existence of both bundles. DJI did a smart thing letting Amazon blow the MM2 bundle out. Right about Xmas time there will be 250,000 new MM owners contemplating the MA2 or the M2 Pro after realizing the MM limitations.
Thanks for that ,

the mm1 in the UK didn’t seem to be discounted unless was a fix by Amazon , the fly more combo was £659 even though the price in Argos was £459 so think in the UK Amazon did a dodgy price on the mm1 , they have now dropped the price to £459 same as Argos .

my dilemma is my mm1 is still boxed so I can take back under the 30day exchange period and get the mm2 if it’s worth it , depending how much the price increase is , I would love the air 2 just thought would start with something smaller ,all the videos on yt all look really impressive with the mm1 looks a veryimpressive bit of kit to start with .

Only when the new EU/UK regulations come out at the end of the year.
You mean next month? Probably take that long to arrive ?

Thanks for that ,

the mm1 in the UK didn’t seem to be discounted unless was a fix by Amazon , the fly more combo was £659 even though the price in Argos was £459 so think in the UK Amazon did a dodgy price on the mm1 , they have now dropped the price to £459 same as Argos .

my dilemma is my mm1 is still boxed so I can take back under the 30day exchange period and get the mm2 if it’s worth it , depending how much the price increase is , I would love the air 2 just thought would start with something smaller ,all the videos on yt all look really impressive with the mm1 looks a veryimpressive bit of kit to start with .

2 things...
Amazon's pricing isn't always the lowest around. In fact, in Amazon US I have, more than once, seen a price or coupon in the description window only to have a higher price or the coupon not applied upon checkout. Often the prices are just plain higher.

The dilemma you're experiencing is about patience and evaluating how badly you want a drone NOW. Repeating myself for emphasis here... IF YOU'RE NOT IN A HURRY TO HAVE A DRONE... return the Mini and wait for the MM2 if this is the drone for you. Based on the quick upgrade from the original release my guess is that DJI probably recognized the expanded market for the Mini, especially knocking off some of the cheap Chinese drones that people are buying to test the waters before putting more money in, but anticipates with 4k video and 3 axis gimbal and the glowing reports of the MM1, they'll capture even bigger market share with newcomers. JMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary R
If you are an Amazon Prime member in the US and purchased the MM Fly More Combo for $399 plus state sales tax if any, on Prime Day, using any credit card and opted for the 5 payment plan, you can return the MM, sealed or unsealed for until Jan 31, 2021. Also, if anyone applied for an Amazon Prime credit and used it to purchase the MM they received an extra $100 off lowering the MM Fly More Combo to $299 plus state sale tax. To me that was a no brainer choice since you'd have 3-1/2 months to wait for DJI to debut an MM2 plus ample time to check out both written and YouTube reviews as well as in the field practical tests where potential problems or bugs with the MM2 would surfaced giving a buyer ample before deciding to buy the MM2 and returning your MM or pass on the MM2 and keep your MM.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent