DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 3 Pro and the new DJI RC - Significant limitations?

sdcinvan

Reactions
When I ordered my DJI Mavic Mini Pro 3, I was excited about the DJI RC... I really wanted to eliminate the hassle of attaching my phone to the DJI remote control, so I thought that the DJI RC was going to be a cool upgrade.

But now I am rethinking the wisdom of this "upgrade."

These are the problems that I think I am going to encounter:

1. I will no longer be able to use the amazing DroneLink app. Nooooo! DroneLink gives the DJI drone super-powers!
2. The only way I will be able to update the controller and drone firmware is by creating a personal hotspot with my phone. Maybe that's not such a big deal.
3. The DJI RC is basically a locked-down Android "phone." Would I have been better off purchasing a regular controller and a cheap Android phone, so that I free up my regular phone?
4. There is no external antenna. Is that going to be a disadvantage in regards to signal strength and needing to point the whole controller to maximize reception?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: PalmPilot
Yes to all though Nº.2 you can do it via WiFi also
4 should be ok considering it's going to be FCC controlled, not CE as in Europe but the signal for the latter is crap and external antennae improve signal immensely

Reactions: pescobar61
Yes to all though Nº.2 you can do it via WiFi also
4 should be ok considering it's going to be FCC controlled, not CE as in Europe but the signal for the latter is crap and external antennae improve signal immensely

Which external antennas do you use?

Retrofitted old RC1/* antennae into the controller and removed the stupid DJI hidden designed
There is a more robust way of fitting other ones but these go well and don't look out of place but give a far better signal from a back garden in a UK village

DSC_0349.JPG

Reactions: sdcinvan
May be of interest
I've missed out on a few details but I've ended up with aDSC_0116.jpg controller I'm happier with than the bog standard one and have tested both to see the difference and it is my mod that comes out the clear winner

I've been out 4500 ft with my minip3 and had no signal loss. I did have LOS tho. Not sure how far I can go with out it

When I ordered my DJI Mavic Mini Pro 3, I was excited about the DJI RC... I really wanted to eliminate the hassle of attaching my phone to the DJI remote control, so I thought that the DJI RC was going to be a cool upgrade.

But now I am rethinking the wisdom of this "upgrade."

These are the problems that I think I am going to encounter:

1. I will no longer be able to use the amazing DroneLink app. Nooooo! DroneLink gives the DJI drone super-powers!
2. The only way I will be able to update the controller and drone firmware is by creating a personal hotspot with my phone. Maybe that's not such a big deal.
3. The DJI RC is basically a locked-down Android "phone." Would I have been better off purchasing a regular controller and a cheap Android phone, so that I free up my regular phone?
4. There is no external antenna. Is that going to be a disadvantage in regards to signal strength and needing to point the whole controller to maximize reception?

Thank you.
1. Not sure if you could side load it, or jail break the RC?
2. You can connect the RC to any Wi-Fi network, home or mobile.
3. It amazes me how much easier it makes life having an all in one controller. I never want to go back to separate devices. The RC is a great piece of kit.
4. I’ve had no issues here in my part of the UK.

It's good but not great
I’m allowed to have a different pinion to you.
I’ve been flying DJI drones since the first Phantom - in my opinion, it’s great.

I really like the s controller too. Your up and flying in seconds my air 1 takes me a couple mins to get in the air plus its bulky with the mini ipad sun screen and all

Reactions: AusGeoff
My only issues:
1. I use crab fingers and I regularly hit the hamburger menu in the top right corner when flying - too close to the joystick. (I've ordered longer joysticks.)
2. New workflow for extracting completed footage, as RC is like a data island, whereas phone was a stepping stone to PC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143