DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 3 Pro vs Mavic 2 Zoom for my purpose

NamRoy

Reactions
Hi

I own a game ranch in Africa and we’re hammered by poaching. I currently have a phantom 4 which is giving problems so I want to replace it with a newer drone. One of my problems with the PH 4 is that it cannot zoom a bit closer to the ground. I know that the Mavic Mini Pro only has a digital zoom where the Mavic 2 zoom has both so I’m leaning to the Mavic 2 zoom but I would like to hear what you guys think before I make the purchase. I fly generally about 20 to 30 meters high and would like to zoom in on a spot if I see something suspicious. I know it’s not going to be teh perfect zoom but I think both of them will be better than the Ph4. Also which remote do you guys recommend, the one that you use your cellphone on or the one that has the built in screen.

I would like to hear what you guys think before I make the purchase.
Have you considered the Mavic 3 ?
It's 7 X camera and lens offers significant magnification beyond that offered by the standard camera.
Here are examples shot from the same position with both cameras.
i-WSQLfxx-XL.jpg

i-txZwRw2-XL.jpg

The Mavic 2 zoom is an actual optical zoom to 2X and not digital. Optical zoom is better for maintaining quality Recording in 1080 you can zoom from 24mm to 96mm (the 48-96mm is digital cropping in on the sensor). I shoot a lot of high detail architectural features on historic buildings where it is a good policy to keep a sensible distance from target. The M2Z has never given me cause to curse it. The bigger Mavics are noisy, not good for sneaking up on very quiet seasoned hunters. The mini 3 pro is definitely more discreet. The Mavic 2 range is technically obsolete now, getting spare batteries that are genuine OEM is only going to become more difficult. You will spend less on a 2nd hand M2Z compared to the Mav 3, but you need to bear in mind that you'll always inherit someone else's problems buying from a private individual. Best to look at a genuine refurb unit.

Additional ..... Spending a couple of grand on a drone, you have to ask yourself if you're willing to let some poacher take pot shots at it. For me: that would rule the Mav 3 out straight away

I would begin by asking what budget do you have?

Reactions: Slawaw
The other thing to factor in, is that the Mavic 3 primary camera is a micro-4/3 sensor, if you cropped that down to get 2x zoom (albeit digital), it's still going to be better than what the mavic 2 zoom provides.

Also while the older Mavic 2 Pro did have a 1" sensor, the 2 zoom uses a 1/2.3" sensor which just happens to be the same sensor size used for the mavic 3 7x zoom camera. So either cropping from the main camera or using the 7x zoom, you're still going to get better than what the 2 zoom gives.

Reactions: Derek H
Additional ..... Spending a couple of grand on a drone, you have to ask yourself if you're willing to let some poacher take pot shots at it. For me: that would rule the Mav 3 out straight away
Other factor to consider is that it is harder to hit something that can be much further away due to the 7x lens, than something that needs to get closer having a maximum of 2x reach.

Reactions: rmajoran
So many options depending on budget.
Id tend to lean towards them mav3T for finding them poachers. Great zoom and thermal

Hi

I own a game ranch in Africa and we’re hammered by poaching. I currently have a phantom 4 which is giving problems so I want to replace it with a newer drone. One of my problems with the PH 4 is that it cannot zoom a bit closer to the ground. I know that the Mavic Mini Pro only has a digital zoom where the Mavic 2 zoom has both so I’m leaning to the Mavic 2 zoom but I would like to hear what you guys think before I make the purchase. I fly generally about 20 to 30 meters high and would like to zoom in on a spot if I see something suspicious. I know it’s not going to be teh perfect zoom but I think both of them will be better than the Ph4. Also which remote do you guys recommend, the one that you use your cellphone on or the one that has the built in screen.
I've had the Mavic 2 Zoom for years and love it. It's very good at fighting the wind and can fly in conditions the Mini couldn't. I have the Smart Controller (original one) and it works out very well, and you can be in the air in 30 seconds with no cables to mess with, which I would think would be a big plus in your case. When using Litchi (which works great in the SC) you can fly programmed missions, which you could setup a surveillance route to fly at any time. It's an older package, but still very good and is available at pretty reasonable prices.

The Mavic 2 zoom is an actual optical zoom to 2X and not digital. Optical zoom is better for maintaining quality Recording in 1080 you can zoom from 24mm to 96mm (the 48-96mm is digital cropping in on the sensor). I shoot a lot of high detail architectural features on historic buildings where it is a good policy to keep a sensible distance from target. The M2Z has never given me cause to curse it. The bigger Mavics are noisy, not good for sneaking up on very quiet seasoned hunters. The mini 3 pro is definitely more discreet. The Mavic 2 range is technically obsolete now, getting spare batteries that are genuine OEM is only going to become more difficult. You will spend less on a 2nd hand M2Z compared to the Mav 3, but you need to bear in mind that you'll always inherit someone else's problems buying from a private individual. Best to look at a genuine refurb unit.

“Additional ..... Spending a couple of grand on a drone, you have to ask yourself if you're willing to let some poacher take pot shots at it. For me: that would rule the Mav 3 out straight away”

Fly higher!
With the Zoom and clarity the Mac 3 maintains, the pilot can readily afford to fly higher and/or from a greater distance from the object in question

“Additional ..... Spending a couple of grand on a drone, you have to ask yourself if you're willing to let some poacher take pot shots at it. For me: that would rule the Mav 3 out straight away”

Fly higher!
With the Zoom and clarity the Mac 3 maintains, the pilot can readily afford to fly higher and/or from a greater distance from the object in question
I think the OP has a specific budget already in mind - that's why they asked which is better between the mini 3 pro and the mav 2 zoom.

Reactions: Matrix64
It's not zoom at all.
The Mavic 3 has two cameras, each with their own lens.
I'm seeing the term "zoom" used incorrectly more and more, when what they really mean is telephoto. Apple advertises a 3x "optical zoom" but it's actually a separate fixed-lens camera you can switch to.

I'm seeing the term "zoom" used incorrectly more and more, when what they really mean is telephoto. Apple advertises a 3x "optical zoom" but it's actually a separate fixed-lens camera you can switch to.
While I think most of us actually understand that, DJI themselves is/was advertising it as 'zoom'. In the context of the Mavic 3, they even say "7X" even though as a fixed lens that doesn't really mean anything. So it's a bit of a waste trying to fight it when I think almost all of us in this thread understands what the feature entails.

Here they wrote about the possibility of poachers shooting at a drone if it falls into the visibility zone. Matrice 300 RTK is now used in Ukraine to correct artillery. Quite often, the Russians try to shoot down the Mavic 3 with automatic fire, but they simply do not see the Matrice. Because it works with 1 -1.5 kilometers. Matrice 300rtk can be used with cable power, up to 2-3 hours in the air.

While I think most of us actually understand that, DJI themselves is/was advertising it as 'zoom'. In the context of the Mavic 3, they even say "7X" even though as a fixed lens that doesn't really mean anything. So it's a bit of a waste trying to fight it when I think almost all of us in this thread understands what the feature entails.
I wasn't trying to fight anything, just agreeing with the earlier commenter and pointing out that the misuse has become very common, even from manufacturers.

Reactions: Jam0ne

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3