DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini click sounds while in flight

arican

Reactions
Off late I have started to notice some clicking sounds while mini is inflight. I usually hear these click sounds(like propellor) scraping A/C body though no scratches or any visual marks could be seen.

While at eye level to monitor this, i dont hear or see any thing unusual and propellors rotate at comfortable distance from body.

Frequent occurrence is when I am about to finish flight and I am bringing down drone to lower altitude. But not able to reproduce despite several test runs.

anyone facing similar experience? Ruled out gimble as it cannot produce such a hard click which is audible at a distance.

check that there is nothing in the motors ,that could be causing it i would change all the props if you can ,make sure you put them on the correct motors ,do one motor at a time ,and dont mix them up, if the props are not showing any damage keep them as spares ,if they have been on the drone for many flights then the hole in the hub can become slightly worn and this will allow the pros to flex up and down as you fly,

check that there is nothing in the motors ,that could be causing it i would change all the props if you can ,make sure you put them on the correct motors ,do one motor at a time ,and dont mix them up, if the props are not showing any damage keep them as spares ,if they have been on the drone for many flights then the hole in the hub can become slightly worn and this will allow the pros to flex up and down as you fly,
Thanks Mate, i did change all the props n even screws but still the same. I can’t see anything in motor n all of them rotate freely best of my knowledge. I have a hunch that this is some design flaw which goes unnoticed as this happens only in rapid decend. I am
planning to try do some try runs in few days in sports to rapidly decent n correlate any sounds with log data.

Have a look at Zbip57's posts and photos in Mavic Mini class action info speed error
Some of their photos are a very good reference for the position of the blade tips of good props relative to the drone body.
Do/did your prop blade tips wobble up and down as if either their mounting bore is/was worn or their mounting screws are/were lose?
Aside from the blades' screws themselves, have you checked the three screws that hold each motor to their arm. ( I must admit I never have)
How frequent is the sound, i.e. do you think it corresponds to motor speed, bear in mind that that is 1000s of rpm?
Could it be something from the gimbal?

Have a look at Zbip57's posts and photos in Mavic Mini class action info speed error
Some of their photos are a very good reference for the position of the blade tips of good props relative to the drone body.
Do/did your prop blade tips wobble up and down as if either their mounting bore is/was worn or their mounting screws are/were lose?
Aside from the blades' screws themselves, have you checked the three screws that hold each motor to their arm. ( I must admit I never have)
How frequent is the sound, i.e. do you think it corresponds to motor speed, bear in mind that that is 1000s of rpm?
Could it be something from the gimbal?
I will look at the post for reference. Yes, being a pilot I generally do brief preflight check on this small craft as well including 3 screws attaching the arms.

In your post you say you hear this most frequently during descent, is this speed of descent dependant?
I am deaf so in no way can I judge when things become audible but it occurs to me that if you can hear this whilst it is high up and descending quickly then it is descending into turbulent air (you can see drones wobble) and things may be flexing. As it gets closer to the ground the descent rate is automatically reduced and the air into which it is descending is probably less turbulent with probably less flexing of drone parts. If you hear this high up etc, then have a look at the arms and their pivots.
Smudges of biro ink on the body under the loci of the prop tips might act as contact tracers. Isopropyl alcohol will from memory remove biro ink and is non damaging to most plastics

Reactions: arican
Clicking. Brings back some memories.

Reactions: arican
IMO, the design flaw is that the props are too flexible. The tips are almost flat, and if they should bend even slightly because of wind -- enough that the angle of attack at the tip is negative and the generated thrust is downward rather than up -- that thrust can cause the prop to suddenly bend downward even more as the negative angle increases. I believe that if a back prop bends enough to significantly reduce thrust, you get the over-speed warning when the motor can't speed up enough to compensate, and if it's a front prop, it can bend enough to strike the body.

Reactions: Zbip57
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser