DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini controller keeps charging my android phone.

technoflyer12

Reactions
Hello guys,

My mavic mini controller keeps charging my phone when im flying with the mavic mini.
Now the the battery drains quickly and im not abel to fly for more then 70 minutes.
If any of you know how to fix this problem this would be fantastic!
Thanks in advance!

Others report similar problems, though I have a Samsung S9+ and I can easily fly 4-6 batteries worth of MM flight time before the RC needs to be recharged. So, not sure if this is a problem that only specific Android models have or not.

Reactions: technoflyer12
Others report similar problems, though I have a Samsung S9+ and I can easily fly 4-6 batteries worth of MM flight time before the RC needs to be recharged. So, not sure if this is a problem that only specific Android models have or not.
Aha im not the only one good to know! I have the samsung s7 myself. Tomorow im gonna try to disable fast charging on my phone see if it adds more time.

Reactions: Nonprophet
You need a cable that only passes current in one direction like the short DJI cable that comes with the Mini.
You can order one on Amazon that's meant for the Mini.

You need a cable that only passes current in one direction like the short DJI cable that comes with the Mini.
I am using the original cabel thad comes with the mini. I have tried usb c and micro usb and they both charge my phone.

This is the one I ordered from Amazon a while ago 1
JSAUX Micro USB OTG Adapter, [2-Pack] Micro USB Male to USB 2.0 Female OTG cable Compatible for Samsung S7/S7 Edge/S6/S6 Edge, Note 5/4/S4/S3, Huawei P Smart/P8/Honor 8X, Sony Xperia XA/Z5.
It can be used with the charging cable that comes with the Mini. Put this short cable plugged into the controller and the charging cable into the Tablet.

This is the one I ordered from Amazon a while ago 1
JSAUX Micro USB OTG Adapter, [2-Pack] Micro USB Male to USB 2.0 Female OTG cable Compatible for Samsung S7/S7 Edge/S6/S6 Edge, Note 5/4/S4/S3, Huawei P Smart/P8/Honor 8X, Sony Xperia XA/Z5.
It can be used with the charging cable that comes with the Mini. Put this short cable plugged into the controller and the charging cable into the Tablet.
Thanks for your advise! I wil look in to it!

Hello guys,

My mavic mini controller keeps charging my phone when im flying with the mavic mini.
Now the the battery drains quickly and im not abel to fly for more then 70 minutes.
Thanks in advance!
States in the manual, MM controller will charge android phones. As far as I know, no fix.

Hello guys,

Thanks in advance!
Your Android phone/tablet draws power from the MC when MC is turned on. Picture shows the solution. When the MC is turned off both it and your phone/tablet will charge. (In my case this is QC2.0). The phone/tablet will draw charge from the power bank within the confines of the phone/tablet and power bank limits. Sometimes after turning on the MC you have to unplug the power and re-plug to make the Fly app connection.

An added advantage of Hot Gluing your micro usb to the body of the MC is there will be no risk of damaging the ridiculous interface that DJI made. (Mavic Mini).

I run my Samsung tab 8 at max brightness and it stays charged at 100%. After going through all 3 Mini batteries it's MC is still over half charged. On a bench test of one hour: no battery; MC drained to one light and with power bank to 75%, (three solid lights).

Attachments

• MC OTG.jpg
    MC OTG.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 83
Noop the one that comes with the drone does take charge to the controler also.
I use it all the time to charge the controller so that i dont have to take out the cable everytime.

Perhap DJI programmed the cotroller to charge the phone to prevent a shutdown of the Fly app while flying the drone...that would be bad to happen!

Perhap DJI programmed the cotroller to charge the phone to prevent a shutdown of the Fly app while flying the drone...that would be bad to happen!
Nope. Not some secret conspiracy. Android draws about 550 mA when connected. Here's the solution:

When the MC is turned off both it and your phone/tablet will charge. (In my case this is QC2.0). The phone/tablet will draw charge from the power bank within the confines of the phone/tablet and power bank limits. Sometimes after turning on the MC you have to unplug the power and re-plug to make the Fly app connection.

An added advantage of Hot Gluing your micro usb to the body of the MC is there will be no risk of damaging the ridiculous interface that DJI made.

I run my Samsung tab 8 at max brightness and it stays charged at 100%. After going through all 3 Mini batteries it's MC is still over half charged. On a bench test of one hour: no battery; MC drained to one light and with power bank to 75%, (three solid lights).

Attachments

• Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
Reactions: Khayman
CareyL can you take a picture with everything set up as in the above photo BUT with an ammeter in line between the controller & the spilter cable and with the phone running one of the DJI contoller apps and showing an live camera view please?
When both the controller and the phone are on and the additional battery is connected how does the cable 'know' which to charge?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Galaxy s10 and can run 4 full flight batteries (approx 88mins flying) and still have some juice left in the RC battery. It might just do 6 batteries, but I've never tried. That's using the supplied cable unmodified, and starting with a phone battery at least 80% and not disabling fast charge.

Apple devices don't drain the RC battery like android devices, so that may be a fix to your problem, if you have an ipad or iphone to use instead.

I use the stock mini cable, and it charges my S10 non stop, haven't found a way to turn it off. I only have 3 drone batteries, and can easily fly through them, without the controller battery being dead.

CareyL can you take a picture with everything set up as in the above photo BUT with an ammeter in line between the controller & the spilter cable and with the phone running one of the DJI contoller apps and showing an live camera view please?
When both the controller and the phone are on and the additional battery is connected how does the cable 'know' which to charge?
The cable doesn't know anything. It is passive. The devices either accept a charge or not. I did find that a couple of thin (cheaper) cables did not work.
When the MC is turned off both the MC & Android device will charge. When the MC is turned on, as in the picture, data flows to/from the MC & Android device; all works as expected. The android device also charges at a rate of just under 500 mA from the power bank. The MC is no longer charging the phone/tablet.

PS: I no longer have a Mini just a Mavic Pro. Its MC has two ports so both devices can charge while on.

Attachments

• 20191204_163649.jpg
    20191204_163649.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Can you go into phone settings and just do a file transfer? Usually you'll get a drop down menu that asks if you want to "charge only'

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929