DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini crashed on an island. ?

MavicMaverick92

Reactions
I was keeping my drone in line of sight, not looking at my screen and when I went forward I crashed into the side of an island. I can see it but can't get to it other than trying to pick it up with my Spark and a coat hanger. I have to wait for low tide but that's either at 7am or 10pm, or wait a week so low tide is in the afternoon. I don't expect anything here other than some F for respect posts, which I'm ok with. Just here to vent really cuz losing that drone was a straight punch in the nads. Sigh. I think this experience has turned me off of drones for good.

Sorry for your loss. While I have purchased the Care/Refresh insurance for DJI I recently insured my M2P with State Farm, just in the event that I had an unrecoverable crash. It was $60 for the year. I've just called them to see how much it would cost to add my Mini to the policy. I've just seen too many tales of crashes into islands, on mountain sides to ignore the reality. I could feel your pain as I read your story and I don't think I want to be in that position.

I hope you are able to recover it somehow. No chance of renting a boat or canoe and going over to get it?

****, if I had known drone insurance was a thing I'd have bought it. Lol. Especially if it would cover this. Doubtful though cuz it was 100% user error caused by following the line of sight rule. If I had looked down at my screen it would have prevented it, but if I had crashed while looking at my screen I've heard DJI refresh doesn't cover that, and I feel insurance companies would use that against me aswell. Makes no sense in my opinion cuz due to keeping it in line of sight, I couldn't tell from the angle I was at that I wasn't clearing the side of the island, but as I said if I was looking at my screen I would have known.
As for the boat or canoe, it's on the coast and the waters are choppy. A kayak would be better but the kayak rental place near there actually forbids people from going that route cuz every year someone dies doing it. I'd have to come up at the backside of the island and like I said, the water is super choppy even at low tide so no boat owner is gonna risk that. Plus there's a very narrow land bridge to cross to get the part of the island with my drone if I enter from the back/north side of the island. I wish I could ask state parks or the local fire department but I have a feeling they'd say no and then give me a fine for littering. My only hope is having a friend climb it, I would but I'm not in great shape, or using a drone. I've found the Spark can lift two of it's own batteries, not very long but it can, so I think it can lift my Mavic Mini for a minute while I lift it up and start my descent down to the beach nearby. Only problem is the beach is washed out at high tide and the next afternoon low tide is gonna be windy day. Times like this I wish there was a coastal drone retrieval service. Lol.

Many in front of you and many to come for this type of occurrence.
Hope you get it back.

Reactions: Modra
****, if I had known drone insurance was a thing I'd have bought it. Lol. Especially if it would cover this. Doubtful though cuz it was 100% user error caused by following the line of sight rule. If I had looked down at my screen it would have prevented it, but if I had crashed while looking at my screen I've heard DJI refresh doesn't cover that, and I feel insurance companies would use that against me as well.

Drone insurance isn't really "Drone" insurance. It's a Personal Articles Property Policy. It has been well known in DJI drone forums at least for several years. It isn't available in some states I have heard. Insurance isn't concerned on who's fault it is in this situation.. You file a claim...they pay you money...simple, you don't need a drone to prove anything to recover.

DJI Care Refresh is again somewhat similar. It is a replacement insurance, you pay your premium..you have a crash, you pay your deductible. DJI Does require the drone back however (In how ever many pieces :p) You can file this twice in a year, but your second deductible is a bit higher. Again they don't care what happened.

Sorry your stuck and crashed...do hope you get her back. :)

Reactions: MavicMaverick92
Well, I done ****** up. I was keeping my drone in line of sight, not looking at my screen and when I went forward I crashed into the side of an island. I can see it but can't get to it other than trying to pick it up with my Spark and a coat hanger. I have to wait for low tide but that's either at 7am or 10pm, or wait a week so low tide is in the afternoon. I don't expect anything here other than some F for respect posts, which I'm ok with. Just here to vent really cuz losing that drone was a straight punch in the nads. Sigh. I think this experience has turned me off of drones for good.
Its only money and we learn from our mistakes. A more expensive drone may have avoided that with a warning.

Sorry for the loss, I fly VLOS, all the time, plus have a co-pilot with me to keep a eye out for birds, low flying aircraft. Mostly fly in the western suburbs of Chicago, away from the air fields. The other day I was flying under 400 feet, and a helicopter was flying at the same height, my co-pilot warned me to drop down fast. Their is a device that you can buy called a Mantis Claw, which can be purchased very reasonably. Have never used it. but have been tempted to buy it to play with.

Reactions: MavicMaverick92
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu