DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini disconnecting from RC

Davidmito

Reactions
Hi all, I have had a recent issue with my mini with the last two flights. While flying the video feed is very laggy, even at a short distance away, ie 300ft. I was out during the week with it, done my pre flight checks etc. I was also flying in open countryside, so no interference. The drone was about 400ft away, the video feed began breaking up/getting laggy, my wifi signal was full, then the picture just went and said unable to connect to aircraft and I was unable to reconnect. As I was in vlos I was able to fly back. I thought it was just a one off, until the exact same thing happened today, again within range, full signal. I have checked the firmware etc, all upto date, checked phone software, again up to date. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200613-172330.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-172330.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20200613-172317.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-172317.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20200613-172323.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-172323.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200613-180258_Software update.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-180258_Software update.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20200613-180311_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-180311_Settings.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi David!

You have already mentioned flying in open countryside and doing pre-flight checks etc - I assume with this, you weren't sheltering under a car boot or anything metal/aluminium, or near a network grid etc?
Also when having the drone connected and navigating to the 'Transmission' tab, are these settings set to 'auto' or 'manual'? One final question from me - how many channels was it picking up?

... the picture just went and said unable to connect to aircraft and I was unable to reconnect. As I was in vlos I was able to fly back.

Any ideas?

So you still had the connection between controller and drone to fly it back, but lost the app / phone ?
Obvious things to check are the connection between phone and controller, and any issues with the phone - too many things running in the background, low battery, overheating ... ?

Took off away from car, so no interference. Transmission was on auto, but all bars were green and low, so not busy. Normally if I was to go out of range I would get a weak signal warning, then the rth message etc, this did not happen, sreen just went blank and stated aircraft not connected to rc, but yes I was still able to fly back. I had the drone hovering next to me and it was responsive to the control commands, however the app was telling me I was not connected. Before I fly I close all apps on my phone and make sure it has plenty of charge. It's just that this has happened now on two consecutive flights.

sreen just went blank and stated aircraft not connected to rc, but yes I was still able to fly back.
"rc not connected" also appears when the phone is not connected to the controller (it's on my phone now and the controller is unplugged). If the drone responds to the sticks then there is a link between it and the controller, which leaves the phone and its link to the controller (which includes the interface in the controller itself)

Reactions: 72evenant
"rc not connected" also appears when the phone is not connected to the controller (it's on my phone now and the controller is unplugged). If the drone responds to the sticks then there is a link between it and the controller, which leaves the phone and its link to the controller (which includes the interface in the controller itself)

When the the controller is not connected I get a message saying "RC not connected to mobile device" as below:
Screenshot_20200614-111404.jpg

This was not the message I was getting. During the flight when the screen went blank, the message read "Aircraft not connected to RC":
Screenshot_20200613-172330.jpg

I have refreshed the firmware and uninstalled and reinstalled the DJI app. Will take for another flight today and see what happens.

It makes an interesting point. If the aircraft is not connected, how were your control inputs having any effect ?

You can fly the drone without the phone connected - I have had one similar experience, when I had only had the mini a few days and I can't be 100% I'm remembering correctly. I was flying over a field where I'd been getting familiar with everything, I'd previously flown into an area where the signal seems to die, and seen failsafe RTH in action, but this time the drone was only 50M away and I get signal error messages and a disconnect. I check the antennas and all seems fine, the drone goes a few metres more, disconnects, and stays disconnected. And just hovers. And hovers. And I start thinking there's something wrong with either controller or drone and my new toy will need to go back. And why isn't the drone returning home ? After quite a long pause (thinking the software inside the drone had got stuck and I would have to wait for the battery to run out) I pressed RTH and the drone obeyed. I powered down and disconnected the cable. Restarted the phone, reconnected, and things have been fine ever since. I don't know if it was the app , the phone, the cable or the part of the controller which talks to the phone. But the controller was able to issue commands to the drone - so the link between them had to be working.

Just to tag on and see if this is related, I've now had the RC disconnected issue twice. In the first case it was a remote area nowhere near any electrical or structural interference. Never regained control and the bird went into RTH. Unfortunately it didn't see the tree below it and got hung up 60' feet in the tree. Wound up retrieving it.
Second happened last night. This is my normal flying spot and have perhaps hundreds of flights from here. Got the RC disconnect and I tried detaching cable to phone, trying to take control, etc. It seemed intermittent and the RC did register that it was going into RTH mode. Thankfully I was not far away. It also gave me odd error messages about obstacle avoidance being disabled. I will pull the logs and post to see if anyone can make heads or tails as to why this is happening. It is extremely infrequent so I am not sure it can be replicated.
btw, MP2 flying with Samsung S8, DJI Go version 4.3.25

Hi all, I have had a recent issue with my mini with the last two flights. While flying the video feed is very laggy, even at a short distance away, ie 300ft. I was out during the week with it, done my pre flight checks etc. I was also flying in open countryside, so no interference. The drone was about 400ft away, the video feed began breaking up/getting laggy, my wifi signal was full, then the picture just went and said unable to connect to aircraft and I was unable to reconnect. As I was in vlos I was able to fly back. I thought it was just a one off, until the exact same thing happened today, again within range, full signal. I have checked the firmware etc, all upto date, checked phone software, again up to date. Any ideas?

I have had the same problem with my mini several times. I finally ordered a new cable from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KG6RLH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but my DJI Fly app says "accessory not supported" although it seems to work OK.

I then ordered an OEM DJI cable (Amazon.com: Mavic RC Cable Compatible with DJI Mavic Drone Smartphone Adapter (Lightning), CP.PT.000496: Camera & Photo) that is supposed to come today. Ill check back with results.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22