DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini fast charging from powerbank. 24w (12v, 2a)

dsmith2

Reactions
Might be useful for anyone wanting to fast charge the Mini out in the field.
My Huawei powerbank can charge the batteries (in the hub) at the max power 24w, 12v, 2a. Well, close enough, got about 23w max.
The model is Huawei 12000mAh 40W SuperCharge Power Bank CP12S.
The standard AC charger that comes with the Mini can do 18w max, so this powerbank can charge it quicker.

IMG_20200115_141013.jpg

My Huawei powerbank can charge the batteries (in the hub) at the max power 24w, 12v, 2a. Well, close enough, got about 23w max.
The standard AC charger that comes with the Mini can do 18w max, so this powerbank can charge it quicker.

View attachment 90866
Nice! Cool little meter as well

This has piqued my interest as I'm sure when I tested various other powerbanks and supplies they only hit 18w as if the mavic battery pack was limiting it rather than the other way round.
Going to have to dig out my toys now!

Well I've managed to draw 12w from the battery pack which is quite impressive and managed 20w from another supply. I think my batteries were too full to allow it to go faster

Last edited:
@

View attachment 90866

Big question is, how fast were the charge lights blinking?
Fast as the stock charging brick?

Some what on topic, is there a big difference in charge times between 18w and 24w? Is it a third quicker?

@

Big question is, how fast were the charge lights blinking?
Fast as the stock charging brick?

The lights flash at least as fast, if not faster than the stock charger.

Some what on topic, is there a big difference in charge times between 18w and 24w? Is it a third quicker?

I would say it is quicker to charge with the Huawei. I ran my Mini battery down to 0%, (which is 3.2v per cell under load). Then fully charged back up to 100%.
It was at about 90% charged after 45mins.
It then ramps down the charge rate to top off the battery and gets to 100% after about 1hr.
So if you were in a hurry, you could be out flying in 45mins with a 90% battery.
I believe the stock charger takes about 90mins for a full charge, so it is around a third quicker.

Approx 90% charged from 0% after 46mins. (showing 16.5Wh. Mini battery is rated at 17.28wh, but there will be some losses in charging)
IMG_20200115_143655.jpg

Approx 100% charged from 0% after 62mins (showing 18.95Wh. Mini battery is rated at 17.28wh, but there will be some losses in charging)
IMG_20200115_145342.jpg

Reactions: pmshop
One little gotcha with fast charging on power banks is they lose even more efficiency than they do in regular charging speed. If you want max capacity from your power bank charge slower.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR