DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Gimbal replacement

OliverMM

Reactions
From youtube to forums, i never see any successful post regarding gimbal replacement with software calibration. Have anyone been successfully replace a gimbal and calibrated it? please share, i believe there are many hoping to hear and learn how to succesfully replace a gimbal.

Nope, I had to return it to Costco... and eat the cost of the new Gimbal. If I can not repair MY Mini, I do not own the drone. I will never own a DJI drone again....

From youtube to forums, i never see any successful post regarding gimbal replacement with software calibration. Have anyone been successfully replace a gimbal and calibrated it? please share, i believe there are many hoping to hear and learn how to succesfully replace a gimbal.
Unfortunately you need to have access to propitiatory DJI software connecting to their servers via vpn to successfully “flash” a swapped gimbal for it to work. We do this for every gimbal swap
We can do it for you if you’d like... create a ticket we cover the freight both ways

Last edited:
Reactions: m80116
This is the same as John Deere; so we do not own the drone or tractor if we can not fix it ourselves. I call it a racket... just like the automobile industry.

If you are reading this and pissed about it... send a letter to your state rep. list of states with "Right to Repair Bills Introduced": Advocacy — The Repair Association

Next, don't buy from these companies or if you can; return your drone like I did.

This is the same as John Deere; so we do not own the drone or tractor if we can not fix it ourselves. I call it a racket... just like the automobile industry.

If you are reading this and pissed about it... send a letter to your state rep. list of states with "Right to Repair Bills Introduced": Advocacy — The Repair Association

Next, don't buy from these companies or if you can; return your drone like I did.

This is a bit disheartening for sure, DJI has never done this before on prior aircraft. I have replaced plenty of their prior gimbals/cameras. The Mini is the first I have heard of this issue. There must be a reason they went this route and I can't believe it was for money as DJI-DS has the fix available outside of DJI service. I feel for you O&P.;) Doing some research I found a few old threads on this...don't know how I have missed this issue, but nonetheless it can be fixed now..@DJI DS are you at liberty to post price for this "Flashing" only? I would like to spread the word on your service on another well known site. :)

Last edited:
This is a bit disheartening for sure, DJI has never done this before on prior aircraft. I have replaced plenty of their prior gimbals/cameras. The Mini is the first I have heard of this issue. There must be a reason they went this route and I can't believe it was for money as DJI-DS has the fix available outside of DJI service. I feel for you O&P.;) Doing some research I found a few old threads on this...don't know how I have missed this issue, but nonetheless it can be fixed now..@DJI DS are you at liberty to post price for this "Flashing" only? I would like to spread the word on your service on another well known site. :)
It typically takes about 1/2 hr-1hr depending if all firmware up to date (wont work w/o latest firmware)

so

if software up to date $30
if software needs updating $50

this is assuming the gimbal sent in is works and not defective otherwise a new gimbal can be bought here

Side point this is also a common issue w/ the dreaded "camera 3" error on the mavic air after gimbal swap. Need that vpn which plugs into DJI servers to clear it

Last edited:
It typically takes about 1/2 hr-1hr depending if all firmware up to date (wont work w/o latest firmware)

so

this is assuming the gimbal sent in is works and not defective otherwise a new gimbal can be bought here

Side point this is also a common issue w/ the dreaded "camera 3" error on the mavic air after gimbal swap. Need that vpn which plugs into DJI servers to clear it
Thank you sir, that seems a great price...BTW I just called "you guys" on my P3P Should be opening a ticket shortly :)

Reactions: DDS

so

I crashed my mini, had to replace the gimbal and ribbon. It works but I have an IMU Gimbal error 40021 and the new gimbal leans to one side and will not level when I fly it. Will your software update fix this problem?

Unfortunately you need to have access to propitiatory DJI software connecting to their servers via vpn to successfully “flash” a swapped gimbal for it to work. We do this for every gimbal swap
We can do it for you if you’d like... create a ticket we cover the freight both ways
Thank you, however due to the distance, i would source local service and repair thank you.

so

The pricing is reasonable, would it be similar prices for a Mavic Air 2?

I have a Mavic Air 2 that I have replaced the gimbal and camera, and I get the the dreaded 40021 and 40011 errors. The Mavic flies and takes video and photos, just the errors come up on the DJI Fly app.

The pricing is reasonable, would it be similar prices for a Mavic Air 2?

I have a Mavic Air 2 that I have replaced the gimbal and camera, and I get the the dreaded 40021 and 40011 errors. The Mavic flies and takes video and photos, just the errors come up on the DJI Fly app.
same deal need access to dji main server in china

we are able to clear the error

Yes, I am still getting a video feed, but the gimbal after the initial start-up when the gimbal rotates, it seats at an angle and remains that way in flight.
i can try...should clear it but w/o the drone in hand hard to say for sure...why not send in for free inspection?

i can try...should clear it but w/o the drone in hand hard to say for sure...why not send in for free inspection?
I have a ticket, just need to get it by the FEDEX store early this week before the FEDEX label expires. It will be great if you can do it. I hate watching video at an angle, lol.

I have a ticket, just need to get it by the FEDEX store early this week before the FEDEX label expires. It will be great if you can do it. I hate watching video at an angle, lol.
Hey everybody! I sent my MM to DJI Drone Service Friday and received it today. I took it out and test flew it. No error 40021, and the gimbal is operating as it did when I purchased it. They charged $99 for the software fix and covered the shipping. I highly recommend DJI Drone Service as the turn-around was quick.

Reactions: DDS and Thomas B
Yes! I replaced a busted gimbal due to a crash. Once I started back up for a functional check flight, I received an IMU/gimbal error 40021 and the gimbal tilted to one side. I went on another forum where others had the same error and no one came up with any solutions other than a link to a website that had confusing and complicated lists of fixes. A shop came on the thread stating that they have the software fix directly from DJI that should solve the problem. They emailed me a FEDEX label, I sent my MM and within 6 days I received my MM with no error and gimbal operating normally. The cost was $99 plus free shipping. I highly recommend DJI Drone Service out of NJ for the quick turnaround. So they were able to program the new gimbal to the IMU and made it work normally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143