DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini - Hit a Tree in Quickshot Mode

DD660911

Reactions
I hit a tree in Helix quickshot mode. I thought I cancelled it before it hit the tree. DJI says that I only stopped the video and didn't cancel the quickshot mode. Is it possible to stop/cancel the video only when in quickshot mode?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-02-16_[15-29-08].txt
    455.3 KB · Views: 23
Flight log attached.

Attachments

• 2020-02-16_15-27-27_FLY021.DAT
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-02-16_[15-29-08].txt
    455.3 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Garpaul
I was thinking that, but it didn't show an edit.

@DD660911
Welcome to the forum!

Stay away from Trees they are Mavic Magnets. ;):)

Rod

Last edited:
So back on track ... this is what I can depict out from the log & a bit from the manual regarding the Mini's quickshot modes.

This is towards the end of the Helix lap ... or near the beginning of the end :confused: :rolleyes:

At black line 1. the lap has been finalized & the AC is braking seen by the drop of heading speed & the blue graph bulge up which is rolling opposite direction, camera is on & rolling until black line 2. where according to the manual the video auto stops as the Helix is finalized & the remaining, soon to start action of the quickshot is to go back to the original position. At approx black line 3. & soon after yaw, roll & pitch shift rapidly ... most probably here it starts to shew into the branches & rotate.

1582666791069.png

So ... did the OP do anything? Well, no stick inputs is seen & no signals what I can find exist in the logs indicating that the pilot have manually stopped any video recording or the quickshoot itself.

But reading in the manual a bit makes me understand that the video starts & stops automatically and you only have the choice to stop the quickshot itself with the RC pause button or the X in the app. This makes me think that DJI's statement sounds odd, saying you just stopped the video recording ... I would ask them for a clarification there.

1582667696745.png

The unfortunate in this is though what's more stated in the manual on what to observe in relation to using the quickshots ... have color marked the obvious things from the manual above. The thing is here ... the Helix mode itself wasn't finished, the AC had still to go back to the start point ... through the tree :confused:

How badly you try to turn this around this is more or less a pilot error in the end, not taking the surroundings into consideration ...

Reactions: russellg and RodPad
The information from DJI was incorrect. The video was stopped automatically at the end of the quickshot mode, at 142 seconds. The aircraft hit the tree at 143.5 seconds as it was completing the maneuver.

View attachment 95128
Did you find any info in the logs clarifying if the quickshot was manually stopped or not ... the question mark for me is that the Helix takes it's lap auto recording & then returns to start point per user manual description.

In the log are info about recording start/stop & flyCState ... but shall that include the return trip or not. In this case it doesn't look like that ... so does that mean that the quickshot was manually aborted?

Did you find any info in the logs clarifying if the quickshot was manually stopped or not ... the question mark for me is that the Helix takes it's lap auto recording & then returns to start point per user manual description.

In the log are info about recording start/stop & flyCState ... but shall that include the return trip or not. In this case it doesn't look like that ... so does that mean that the quickshot was manually aborted?

I don't know whether it was completed or canceled, but its path intersected a tree. Does it make a difference?

No dif
I don't know whether it was completed or canceled, but its path intersected a tree. Does it make a difference?
No difference at all for the outcome ... just curious to learn if something clearly showing us that in the logs :)

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N