DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini inaugural flight and first impressions

OldGuy

Reactions
My MM Combo arrived last Monday thanks to Amazon.es. I ordered it on the 1st Nov. and it arrived on the 18th as promised. I was most impressed by the service as due to the demand for this new drone I had my doubts that I would get one this year!

I spent the fist day checking over every thing, charging batteries, reading posts from you guys and watching YouTube videos. On the second day I took it to the hill where I often fly. The first criticism I have is the fact that none of my three mobile devices iPhone 5, Samsung Tab 4 or my CS Ultra are compatible with this new drone. I had to borrow my wife's iPhone 6 (very embarrassing) in order to download the DJI Fly app. Based on this I called into a local electronic store on the way home and purchased a Lonovo TAB 7 which just fits into the arms of the remote for €60!

The next thing I noticed when trying to fly the MM was the delay in picking up the required number of satellites (I think it’s 9) in order to take off. This has never happened with my M2Z. Once in the air this tiny drone quickly disappeared from sight at 100 m or just over which brings me to the issue of LOS or lack of it. This tiny drone is not much use for LOS flying in my opinion unless you are happy to have it buzzing around your head on 3 batteries for one and a half hours!! I next tested RTH which worked ok however the accuracy on the 5 attempts was a bit out as it only landed on the pad once. The other landings were over a meter away and one was about 5 meters away?

Noise level was impressively low and the MM was reasonably steady in hover in a stiff breeze although a bit skittish as you could see it was fighting to maintain position.

First flight took me out 500 m at which point the loss of signal warning came up. I did a RTH then tried again. Once again a warning at 500 m. I increased the Max Distance on the Fly app to No Limit then flew in a different direction with the result that I got out just over 1 km before the loss of signal warning came up. Don’t know for sure if this was the problem with the 500 m tests? Video feed back was steady on all 3 flights. I shot two videos and lot of photos all of which came out good. The 3 axis gimbal works well.

I still have more testing to do depending on the weather. However here is my list of the good and bad so far. For: Excellent battery life, low noise, good camera and gimbal, highly portable, nice carrying case. Against: Not compatible with many phones or tablets. The 3 cables supplied only fit phones. To connect a tablet you need a longer micro USB to micro USB cable (I’ve ordered one from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow). Range issues. RTH accuracy. Open motors allowing dust inside the winding's (already there are motor covers for this on various web sites but don’t know if they will affect the cooling or not?) Fiddly battery release mechanism.

Do I like the MM and do I thinks it’s value for money? Absolutely.!I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. It will fit in nicely with my M2Z. I will fly the MM mostly from my garden or in areas where it will not annoy anyone or attract attention as much as the M2Z.

in areas where it will not annoy anyone or attract attention as much as the M2Z
that is my primary motivation as well, actually, it is a small discreet model, will be quite nice to have it with you. just, a true pity they did not do any panorama shots modes in it, it is a true oddity. it would not add any weight at all. as well as having raw files option.

Even M2 had issues being off target on RTH, until they added Precision Landing 6 months later.

Be sure you have latest app. Build 491 improved compatibility for Androids.

Increasing max distance had nothing to do with signal range. Your going in a different direction had more to to with it. Remember, you're on enhanced Wi-Fi.

Be sure the cable you ordered is OTG. It probably is as there's no other reason to go from micro to micro. When you insert it into RC, be sure to insert the correct way. But in having a Zoom, you're probably familiar with that.

Even M2 had issues being off target on RTH, until they added Precision Landing 6 months later.

Be sure you have latest app. Build 491 improved compatibility for Androids.

Increasing max distance had nothing to do with signal range. Your going in a different direction had more to to with it. Remember, you're on enhanced Wi-Fi.

Be sure the cable you ordered is OTG. It probably is as there's no other reason to go from micro to micro. When you insert it into RC, be sure to insert the correct way. But in having a Zoom, you're probably familiar with that.
I am keenly aware that I am on enhanced Wi-Fi but you are probably right about a change in direction and an increased signal range. Thanks for the heads up on Build 491. I will look into it for my Android devices. I remember well when my M2Z didn’t have Precision Landing. Hope DJI will have a fix for the MM in the near future. It doesn’t matter how much experience you have it is still nice to watch a drone returning and landing squarely on the pad all by itself.

people are lazy ad expect odd things from the automation. the purpose of RTH is to bring drone where you can hear/see it well - then it is just a common sense to intercept it and drive it back manually.

people are lazy ad expect odd things from the automation. the purpose of RTH is to bring drone where you can hear/see it well - then it is just a common sense to intercept it and drive it back manually.
I don’t think it’s a question of laziness. I often fly my drones back manually but sometimes at the end of the day it is nice to hit the RTH button and watch the drone come back and do it’s thing. It always impresses friends and the occasional onlookers as well especially when it lands squarely on the pad where it took off from.

Can you confirm that Lenovo tab 7 works fine with the app? At £39 it might be a great solution for a dedicated flying tablet, it has gps so it makes it much better option than iPad at fraction of cost

Can you confirm that Lenovo tab 7 works fine with the app? At £39 it might be a great solution for a dedicated flying tablet, it has gps so it makes it much better option than iPad at fraction of cost
I bought and paid for the Lenovo Tab 7 last Tuesday but they had sold the last one that very morning. They promised that mine would be here by Friday. So will let you know asap if it works ok with the MM/Fly app. By the way £39 is a very good price mine was €60!

I bought and paid for the Lenovo Tab 7 last Tuesday but they had sold the last one that very morning. They promised that mine would be here by Friday. So will let you know asap if it works ok with the MM/Fly app. By the way £39 is a very good price mine was €60!
They are on Amazon UK at that price at the moment......I have a Lenovo Tab 3 laying around and tried to instal the app this morning but unfortunately it didn't work, I couldn't even instal it.. I wonder if it works on Tab 7.. Please, keep us posted! Thanks

Also I can confirm that the Lenovo Tab 7 fits into the arms of the remote as I had my remote with me and the demo Tab 7 just squeezed into it nicely. You will need a longer cable though. Mine arrives tomorrow along with the Tab 7.

They are on Amazon UK at that price at the moment......I have a Lenovo Tab 3 laying around and tried to instal the app this morning but unfortunately it didn't work, I couldn't even instal it.. I wonder if it works on Tab 7.. Please, keep us posted! Thanks

As mentioned previously I have a CS Ultra, iPhone 5, Samsung Tab 4 and Moverio BT 300 glasses and I can’t install the Fly app on any of them at the moment!? Hence the purchase of the Tab 7. By the way it’s €62 down here on Amazon. I ordered mine from Worten.

lenovo7 did not work well with mavic pro and go4 but MM ?
I am expecting mine today so will let you and others know. The MM spec calls for Android 5.0 or higher. The Lenovo Tab 7 is Android 7.1 so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Picked up the Lenovo Tab 7 this afternoon but couldn’t load the DJI Fly app on it for my MM (it doesn’t show up in Google Playstore?) However my IT friend was available and side loaded the app. for me from the APKPure.com website. So now it works. I have flown indoors only but everything seems to be ok. Hope this is helpful.

lenovo7 did not work well with mavic pro and go4 but MM ?
You were right. I had problems with the Lenovo TAB 7 for the MM as I couldn’t find the Fly app in Play Store. GO 4 was there but not Fly? However my IT friend solved the problem by side loading the Fly app. so now it’s working ok.

Trick to get Fly to appear in Play:
Select another DJI app and show details.
Click on publisher link below app title.
List of all DJI apps appear including Fly.
By doing this, you ensure getting build updates. Don't go by the app version. It's shown 1.0.1 from beginning, but at least 3 build revisions were released.

Trick to get Fly to appear in Play:
Select another DJI app and show details.
Click on publisher link below app title.
List of all DJI apps appear including Fly.
By doing this, you ensure getting build updates. Don't go by the app version. It's shown 1.0.1 from beginning, but at least 3 build revisions were released.
It’s correct what you are saying and the Fly app does appear but it won’t let me install it!?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike