DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini iPhone 6s won't connect

Edarotag

Reactions
Hey there, I'm a brand new pilot... I was unable to find a thread that addressed my issue, so I figured I'd make a post.

After purchasing 3 very cheap drones and being sorely disappointed, I decided to buy a reputable device.

I found the Mavic Mini Fly More package on Amazon for about $330, and I was thrilled with that price.

When it came, I was disappointed to find out that the app was not compatible with my Motorola phone. I immediately acquired an iPhone 6s.

The iPhone has no sim, and I was lead to believe that that would be ok.

I did a factory reset on it, then updated the OS and downloaded DJI Fly.

The iPhone is unable to connect to the drone.

I have attached 3 screenshots.

I am able to fly the drone with the controller, but the app is not working with the iPhone.

The only thing that I can think of is the cable might be bad, so I've ordered a new one and it should arrive tomorrow.

Is there anything else that any of you more experienced pilots may be able to suggest?

Thank you!

This is my first decent quality drone, and I was blown away by how great it handled compared to the trash that I had wasted my money on prior. I am looking forward to being able to use it as intended and getting some great shots.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    145.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    91.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0003.PNG
    IMG_0003.PNG
    102.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I just want to get the thinking confirmed here...

> The iPhone is unable to connect to the drone.

The iPhone connects to the controller, which is connected to the drone. If the controller has a green light shortly after the drone is powered up, the drone and the controller are connected.

Agreed with your analysis, therefore. The answer is likely to be the cable.

With regard to @Barry4's comment on "quality drone... quality phone?", totally agreed! However, I used an iPhone 6 for a year with my Mavic Air, and it coped very well. The only reason I upgraded it was to get a brighter screen.

I just want to get the thinking confirmed here...

> The iPhone is unable to connect to the drone.

The iPhone connects to the controller, which is connected to the drone. If the controller has a green light shortly after the drone is powered up, the drone and the controller are connected.

Agreed with your analysis, therefore. The answer is likely to be the cable.

With regard to @Barry4's comment on "quality drone... quality phone?", totally agreed! However, I used an iPhone 6 for a year with my Mavic Air, and it coped very well. The only reason I upgraded it was to get a brighter screen.
Yeah, I'm hoping that the cable is the remedy I'm looking for. Thanks for your response.

Got my new cable, no change. The app might support a 6s, however it could be that this 6s is in some way faulty. It charges fine, so I wouldn't think the charging port would be an issue.

Looks like I'm going to have to shelve the drone until I can afford a new phone or tablet. :(

Got my new cable, no change. The app might support a 6s, however it could be that this 6s is in some way faulty. It charges fine, so I wouldn't think the charging port would be an issue.

Looks like I'm going to have to shelve the drone until I can afford a new phone or tablet. :(
If the phone works with everything else, there is unlikely to be a fault. I presume you are connecting via WiFi and not Bluetooth? Are you using DJI Fly?

If the phone works with everything else, there is unlikely to be a fault. I presume you are connecting via WiFi and not Bluetooth? Are you using DJI Fly?
I am using an iPhone 6s, no sim card with a DJI Mavic Mini. I have both DJI Fly and litchi both apps yield the same results.

I connect the iPhone 6s to WiFi from either a mobile hotspot or my home. (I've also tried in airplane mode)

I plug the phone into the controller and power on the controller and the drone.

I load the dji fly app and attempt to connect it, with the results that were screen shot in the initial post.

I have attempted changing the order of operations listed above in nearly every way that I can imagine, with the same results.

I do not believe that there is a way to connect the phone to the drone via WiFi or bluetooth.

I have also attempted manually pairing the controller with the drone. I can then fly the drone, but the dji fly app is still not connected to anything.

I have found a phone repair shop nearby that of also a dji certified repair shop. I intend on taking them both in tomorrow.

Well folks, it turns out that one of my pre-owned devices needed repair. Thankfully it was not the drone.

A local repair shop replaced the charging port to the iPhone 6s and everything now works perfectly! I was able to finally realize the potential of the Mavic Mini! Such an awesome feeling. Now I just have to get over the awkward feeling I get when people pass me by.

Reactions: Thomas B
Well folks, it turns out that one of my pre-owned devices needed repair. Thankfully it was not the drone.

A local repair shop replaced the charging port to the iPhone 6s and everything now works perfectly! I was able to finally realize the potential of the Mavic Mini! Such an awesome feeling. Now I just have to get over the awkward feeling I get when people pass me by.
Glad to hear that the port fix solved the issue. I have a new iPhone SE and an old iPhone 6 which is even lower than your 6S and it works. My 4 yr old iPad Pro works, so it is possible for old hardware to run the DJI app effectively. My Original Mini is still pretty capable too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada