DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini lens hood crash protection

cweam

Reactions
I installed my newly acquired lens hood on my Mavic Mini and made a video of a local landmark. Before I left I decided to add a Helix to include in my final edited version. I made a fatal mistake in not positioning myself far enough away from two very large spruce trees before initiating the flight. As I was watching the Helix progress on my cell phone display I realized my mistake too late and watched on my phone as the Mini successfully passed the first tree then hit the second tree half way up then tumbled down through the branches to hide at a lower level. A twenty minute search finally located the drone about twenty feet above the ground. As it was nearing sunset I decided to drive the 15 miles home and return early the following morning with a ladder and assorted tools to retrieve the little drone. I set up and tied off the ladder to make a safe ascent up into the large tree. I dreaded the thought of discovering major damage to my little drone. When I was able to reach the branch I shook it and the Mini fell to the ground. When I got down to it and examined it I found no apparent damage. Also, my new lens hood had protected the camera as it fell through the branches and it survived unscathed. It seems that the lens hood can protect the photos and videos from unwanted flare and can also give it some protection during a collision. When I got home I tested everything with a short backyard flight and all was well. The drone is tougher than I expected it to be, especially with the lens hood installed. Needless to say I will not make that mistake again.

Reactions: slup
I installed my newly acquired lens hood on my Mavic Mini and made a video of a local landmark. Before I left I decided to add a Helix to include in my final edited version. I made a fatal mistake in not positioning myself far enough away from two very large spruce trees before initiating the flight. As I was watching the Helix progress on my cell phone display I realized my mistake too late and watched on my phone as the Mini successfully passed the first tree then hit the second tree half way up then tumbled down through the branches to hide at a lower level. A twenty minute search finally located the drone about twenty feet above the ground. As it was nearing sunset I decided to drive the 15 miles home and return early the following morning with a ladder and assorted tools to retrieve the little drone. I set up and tied off the ladder to make a safe ascent up into the large tree. I dreaded the thought of discovering major damage to my little drone. When I was able to reach the branch I shook it and the Mini fell to the ground. When I got down to it and examined it I found no apparent damage. Also, my new lens hood had protected the camera as it fell through the branches and it survived unscathed. It seems that the lens hood can protect the photos and videos from unwanted flare and can also give it some protection during a collision. When I got home I tested everything with a short backyard flight and all was well. The drone is tougher than I expected it to be, especially with the lens hood installed. Needless to say I will not make that mistake again.
i am glad your MM survived, i always use a lens hood on my MPP and MM, and for me they serve a two fold action, they do help with glare, but as you have found out they do offer some protection to the camera and gimbal ,and on the MPP, i find that the design helps to funnel air into the grill behind the gimbal, to help keep things cool inside the drone

Reactions: Pushkur
I have the impression I have read a couple of threads where drones have been shaken etc. out of trees and hit the ground as a result.
It makes me wonder why people don't rig up some sort of catch net in the probable line of fall?

Anyway, glad you got the mini back, can you post a link to your lens hood please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jam0ne
I find the bigger drones get damaged easier than smaller drones after a crash. Mostly the camera gimbal. I guess the smaller they are they lighter the fall as apposed to the bigger they are etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser