DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Lens Hood - Worth it?

junkee902

Reactions
Hi all,

I recently came across lens hood options for Mavic Mini and I managed to narrow down my choice down to two.

Has anyone used a lens hood for drones before? Does it actually work as advertised?

Also, if anyone has purchased these products, I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Attachments

• option 2.PNG
    option 2.PNG
    449.7 KB · Views: 208
  • option 1.PNG
    option 1.PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 204
i always use one on my MPP and i got your option 1 for my MM i find that apart from keeping some of the bright sun off the lens they also act as a gimbal guard

Hi all,

I recently came across lens hood options for Mavic Mini and I managed to narrow down my choice down to two.

Has anyone used a lens hood for drones before? Does it actually work as advertised?

Also, if anyone has purchased these products, I'd greatly appreciate your input.
Can you please provide links purchase?
Thanks

Reactions: MagnaC28
Just a bit of helpful info....

If you crash your drone with one of these on and it’s visible in anyway then DJI won’t repair under warranty or under care refresh if you have it.

option 1 is available on amazon as well...

keeping some of the bright sun off the lens they also act as a gimbal guard
is that really a noticeable gimbal protection or rather a mental "peace of mind" protection? From the pictures I'd say it doesn't really help keeping the gimbal further away from the ground and it has an open bottom anyway - so how protective could it be?

option 1 is available on amazon as well...

is that really a noticeable gimbal protection or rather a mental "peace of mind" protection? From the pictures I'd say it doesn't really help keeping the gimbal further away from the ground and it has an open bottom anyway - so how protective could it be?
I’m not sure... I want to purchase one mainly to prevent sun glare in my photos and videos. I presume that the hood will have some protective effect if I ever crash though, since the hood will minimize the impact on the gimbal itself

I got the Pgytech model, mainly for crash protection

I think the first one is ready to accept some bent plexiglass sheet. I plan on buying one to make me a gimbal cover for the winter (to use it in-flight) :)

Lens hoods work well for photography because you are stationary.
But with me shooting 97% videos, I found when you accelerate forward motion, the hood acts as if it were an eyelid closing and opening on the camera.
This happens because of the AC tilt to accelerate the forward motion.

If you crash your drone with one of these on and it’s visible in anyway then DJI won’t repair under warranty or under care refresh if you have it.

Are you sure? DJI Care Refresh is something we actually pay for, its not free! DJI wants our broken/crashed drone in order to get a Care Refresh replacement one for $40! This camera hood makes no difference at all, and I'd imagine that having it on doesn't count as modification - as the product is sold by DJI is it not?

Anyway, if I had one of these hoods on and I crashed and DJI told me that I can't use my Care Refresh that I've paid for, and on top of everything I'll be paying a $40 fee!

You may be correct though, that's why I'll just keep my Mavic Mini all naked, not even a skin on it, not even dust... lol

Are you sure? DJI Care Refresh is something we actually pay for, its not free! DJI wants our broken/crashed drone in order to get a Care Refresh replacement one for $40! This camera hood makes no difference at all, and I'd imagine that having it on doesn't count as modification - as the product is sold by DJI is it not?

Anyway, if I had one of these hoods on and I crashed and DJI told me that I can't use my Care Refresh that I've paid for, and on top of everything I'll be paying a $40 fee!

You may be correct though, that's why I'll just keep my Mavic Mini all naked, not even a skin on it, not even dust... lol
I'm absolutely sure my friend. It happened to a Spark owner a while back. The post is on the Spark Forums. If you have any add on item on your drone they can (and will) use it as an excuse not to repair under warranty. This includes a skin.

This is taken directly from the DJI warranty documents:

× Damage caused by reliability or compatibility issues when using unauthorized third-party parts.

Last edited:
Hi all,

i cant see it working any better as you can adjust the light going into the camera without it ,

I was concerned about this and so I just spoke to DJI on their web chat service, they will fix the drone, just not the attached accessories, so basically if it doesn’t come in the box then you’re out of luck.

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
hi all

I'm confused now...Do I go with what Lastrexking said or with what Shinotama said?

I honestly think that you can have any accessory on the drone as long as it does not self activate the Payload Mode, cz that will be in the logs obviously. Then when you crash it and wreck it, you just take off the added accessory and use your DJI Care Refresh. I see it this way, as long as Payload Mode is not self activated(unless you really intend on flying in Payload Mode and then say that you're using the prop guards and that's why), and as long as the added accessory is not the actual real reason for the crash - then you should have nothing to worry about.

I live in Bulgaria - in Sofia its mostly at least 4 to 20 floors building, I live in a 4 floor one on the last floor in a mini pent-house(double floor lil appartment) and I live near a stadium(also a lil one) and they train some sports on this stadium every night under these super bright projectors. So for me it's very very tempting to fly out my balcony these 200 to 300 meters away to the stadium and do some nice sports training videos, like test the 1080p 60f & 50f & 30f & 25f and the 2.7K 30f & 25f (should have just said all the video modes, lol) - BUT I'm really really scared, terrified to be honest just to hover outside my building and control from my balcony!

It's been a dream of mine ever since I was a lil kid to be able to send out my "drone" or "helicopter" flying out my balcony! Now I have the chance, I have Care Refresh also, and yet I'm just too afraid to fly even 1 m outside from the actual window. My Mavic Mini in obviously the CE version - that adds to my signal loss worries! I fly it bare(free of any-party add on or modification), just the normal, original, 249 grams weighing Mavic Mini. Actually the only real 3rd party add on I have is my 128GB 100mbs (I know the Mini is 40mbs but it's good to have a bit more) memory card. But I did weigh the lil fella and he does weigh exactly 249 grams. I really hope that I never have to use Care Refresh - I'm real careful with my Mini!

Do you remember the Spark user, what is it that he actually had added on as an accessory - if you remember?

I was concerned about this and so I just spoke to DJI on their web chat service, they will fix the drone, just not the attached accessories, so basically if it doesn’t come in the box then you’re out of luck.

Really, does it have to be in the original box? Is this important that if I crash and wanna use my Care Refresh I have to send the wrecked Mini in its original box? I didn't get the Fly More Combo because it was all sold out everywhere around Christmas, so just got the normal version in the lil box. I use my Box when I take my Mini out with me in my backpack, and the box is in perfect condition - its just what would happen if I still had my old girlfriend and she threw it away?!

in Sofia its mostly at least 4 to 20 floors building, I live in a 4 floor one on the last floor in a mini pent-house(double floor lil appartment) and I live near a stadium(also a lil one) and they train some sports on this stadium BUT I'm really really scared, terrified to be honest just to hover outside my building and control from my balcony!

It's been a dream of mine ever since I was a lil kid to be able to send out my "drone" or "helicopter" flying out my balcony! Now I have the chance, I have Care Refresh also, and yet I'm just too afraid to fly even 1 m outside from the actual window. My Mavic Mini in obviously the CE version - that adds to my signal loss worries!

Have you flown much around your building (and other buildings) ?
I’m thinking it could be wifi hell for mini signal.
Also wind problems for the mini at 4th floor level or higher clearing local buildings might be worth keeping in mind.
Hope you can fly around like you say, keeping in mind local regulations etc, though I think Bulgaria is fairly lax in their drone regulations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout