DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Low Power Think Tank

Hellhunter

Reactions
I've been following the Drama of the "uncontrolled decent" on the Mavic Mini.
I recently pickup one up and have been (out of curiosity) trying to replicate this anomaly.

Forgive me if this has been tried in another thread, but why cant we get folks who have experienced this behavior
to post in a single place, all of the variables known? This way we can see a clear pattern emerge.
Is it props? Is it sports mode? Is it design flaw? Is it storage method after/before flight?
Some before unconsidered vortex/aerodynamic effects of the design as it interacts with crosswind? Firmware?
Some perfect storm or combinations of all these?

Id like to see anyone who has experienced the problem to post the following:

1. Sports Mode/flying style? (seems a common theme from the multiple threads I've read)
2. Wind/Temp (obvious reasons) per occasion
3. Date of purchase
4. Flymore package or not?
5. Storage before flight in flymore case? Custom Case? Just loose and unfolded?
6. Firmware version at time of incident. Firmware when issue resolved?
7. Altitude above sea level?
8. Flight time at incident? (i.e. 15 minutes into flight...or 23% battery)
9.Habitual calibration every flight? or just when prompted?
10. Prop bands while transport?

You get the idea.

A decent sized sample of participants "should" yield some final insight into the variables of
the recipe for the behavior.

I have yet to experience the problem...flown in borderline winds...toggled sports mode..made drastic control inputs during said winds.
I have yet to fold my mini up.

It would be nice to compile some data and put this issue to rest.
Again, forgive me if such a thread exists. If it does, I missed it during
my reading.

Reactions: Dannydperez
3 things caused my drone uncontrollably descend
1. my compass and imu was uncalibrated
2. I was in sport mode
3. I was flying close to powerlines which caused interference.
before the crash, it started to spin to the side 90degrees and then back. The front arm broke and the gimbal too, but it only cost 120aud to fix

1. P mode/non aggressive
2. None/cool
3. Release date
4. Yes
5. In flymore case
6. .400(I think) /same
7. 2500
8. 16 minutes
9. I know better than to calibrate at the drop of a hat.
10. No.

3 things caused my drone uncontrollably descend
1. my compass and imu was uncalibrated
2. I was in sport mode
3. I was flying close to powerlines which caused interference.
before the crash, it started to spin to the side 90degrees and then back. The front arm broke and the gimbal too, but it only cost 120aud to fix

I'm pretty certain that none of those things caused your uncontrolled descent.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Some members have suggested that there is a design flaw that causes the problems reported. If that's the case, wouldn't all Mini's be having the same problem? Mine has been as solid as a rock so far and I have put it to the test. I don't push my luck by flying at insane altitudes with high winds, obstructed signals, etc. That's just pilot error if something goes wrong. Any poll should be aimed at all Mini owners, whether they have had a problem or not -- just so we can get a feel for the percentages, etc.

Some members have suggested that there is a design flaw that causes the problems reported. If that's the case, wouldn't all Mini's be having the same problem? Mine has been as solid as a rock so far and I have put it to the test. I don't push my luck by flying at insane altitudes with high winds, obstructed signals, etc. That's just pilot error if something goes wrong. Any poll should be aimed at all Mini owners, whether they have had a problem or not -- just so we can get a feel for the percentages, etc.
design flaw is a pretty vague term, that in and of itself does not mean much. A design flaw could manifest in some but not all units. It could be that it requires a confluence of conditions and events that trigger it.

Reactions: sar104
That's really my thoughts as well. I think it's a set of conditions rather than just a single item.
That's why I'd love to gather as much data as possible to find the common threads. I'm even open to the possibility of it being some lift interference at certain attitudes in transition. But more data is needed.
Reading the "lost mini" threads so far the only common denominator seems to be sports mode. But that isnt enough in and of itself.

Reactions: sar104

Not if the flaw were related to a certain manufacturing batch of propellers that cause an unexpected response from the FC, for example.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo