DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini manual take off.(Desmond Mavic)

DesmondMavic

Reactions
I am new to this forum, this is my first posting, but have read lots of other pilots threads. Thank you for all the help that you give other pilots. From a novice point of view I have learnt a vast amount from other pilots on this forum.
To day I put the MM on the launch pad ( in my back yard ) went through all my checks , Calibrated the compass. Waited until I had 11 signal etc.and was ready for take off.
My intention was to fly through an obstacle course I had set up in the back yard.
I started the MM by pulling the sticks down towards the centre . The prop motors started. I then proceeded to lift off by pushing the left stick slowly up . The MM lifted off up and started flying backwards without me doing anything. I panicked as I thought the MM was going to crash into our house wall and grabbed the MM . The result, cut my finger quite deep on the one prop. Lesson learnt never try and catch the MM when flying backwards unless you know how. I guess this was a natural reaction from a novice. ( making excuses for my self)
What do you guys think I did wrong. ( apparat from being an idiot and trying to catch the MM) .
After fixing up my finger, with plaster and duct tape over it (as the bleeding would not stop and was messing up my controller) I tried to take off using the manual method many times after that . I noticed that the MM does move backwards quite a bit when taking off . But does not shoot backwards once in the air. It does not take off and go up without moving forwards, backwards or sideways in both directions.
I take off using this manual method with my MP2pro and it just lifts off the pad and goes up until I stop moving the LH stick up.It does not move backwards.
My Mini never used to do this. I used to push the stick up and it went up.
The Mavic mini once in the air hovers and is very stable , it does not move until you make it move.
I await your replies. You guys be Safe.

Perhaps an IMU calibration is in order. Could try RC/stick calibration, as perhaps it is sending a bit of right stick down signal.

i know this may sound a daft question,but is the launch pad completely level,and also was the wind blowing in the direction the drone was going as it got air,born,
both these things can cause the MM to move in a particular direction as it lifts off i would do an IMU calibration make sure that it is completely level when you do that

Reactions: WooZie
Thank you Old Man Mavic for your reply. The launch pad was on my back lawn which is virtually flat .( not spirit level flat ) but I have taken off with the MM before and it has never just lifted and then moved backwards. I tried to take off again indoors last night. it also moved backwards before stabilising. Its lifts first and then moves back and stabilises. I have now decided until this problem is sorted to turn the MM around with its back facing the direction that I am going to fly. when it moves back and stabilises I will turn it around and carry on with my flight.
I measured the wind just before I takeoff it was 3mph across the the launch off pad. The MM did not lift off and then ,move sideways, it came back towards me. I will deffinatively calibrate the IMU calibration. Thank you so much for your advice. I have been reading the Mavic Pilots forum for some time now and I always not your construtive contribution to this forum. I just like to say Well Done and Thank You. You keep safe ( from a 70 year old)
I am new to this forum, this is my first posting, but have read lots of other pilots threads. Thank you for all the help that you give other pilots. From a novice point of view I have learnt a vast amount from other pilots on this forum.
To day I put the MM on the launch pad ( in my back yard ) went through all my checks , Calibrated the compass. Waited until I had 11 signal etc.and was ready for take off.
My intention was to fly through an obstacle course I had set up in the back yard.
I started the MM by pulling the sticks down towards the centre . The prop motors started. I then proceeded to lift off by pushing the left stick slowly up . The MM lifted off up and started flying backwards without me doing anything. I panicked as I thought the MM was going to crash into our house wall and grabbed the MM . The result, cut my finger quite deep on the one prop. Lesson learnt never try and catch the MM when flying backwards unless you know how. I guess this was a natural reaction from a novice. ( making excuses for my self)
What do you guys think I did wrong. ( apparat from being an idiot and trying to catch the MM) .
After fixing up my finger, with plaster and duct tape over it (as the bleeding would not stop and was messing up my controller) I tried to take off using the manual method many times after that . I noticed that the MM does move backwards quite a bit when taking off . But does not shoot backwards once in the air. It does not take off and go up without moving forwards, backwards or sideways in both directions.
I take off using this manual method with my MP2pro and it just lifts off the pad and goes up until I stop moving the LH stick up.It does not move backwards.
My Mini never used to do this. I used to push the stick up and it went up.
The Mavic mini once in the air hovers and is very stable , it does not move until you make it move.
I await your replies. You guys be Safe.

Thank you Old Man Mavic for your reply. The launch pad was on my back lawn which is virtually flat .( not spirit level flat ) but I have taken off with the MM before and it has never just lifted and then moved backwards. I tried to take off again indoors last night. it also moved backwards before stabilising. Its lifts first and then moves back and stabilises. I have now decided until this problem is sorted to turn the MM around with its back facing the direction that I am going to fly. when it moves back and stabilises I will turn it around and carry on with my flight.
I measured the wind just before I takeoff it was 3mph across the the launch off pad. The MM did not lift off and then ,move sideways, it came back towards me. I will deffinatively calibrate the IMU calibration. Thank you so much for your advice. I have been reading the Mavic Pilots forum for some time now and I always note your construtive contribution to this forum. I just like to say Well Done and Thank You. You keep safe ( from a 70 year old)

Reactions: old man mavic
Perhaps an IMU calibration is in order. Could try RC/stick calibration, as perhaps it is sending a bit of right stick down signal.
Thank you for you reply I will try calibrating the IMU , I have never heard of RC/stick calibration. BTW Old Man Mavic
also recomended IMU calibration. Will let you know what happens when I have calibrated the IMU and right stick calibration when I find out how to do the R stick cal. Stay Safe thank you.

thanks for your comments,you take care in these trying times my friend ,just a thought have you tried using the auto take off mode on the device screen to see if it moves backwards

thanks for your comments,you take care in these trying times my friend ,just a thought have you tried using the auto take off mode on the device screen to see if it moves backwards
I never tried using auto take off . I have been of the onion that I have more control with manual take off. I may be wrong. I will try it and let the forum know. It this does work does it mean that my IMU has been calibrated correctly and there could be a problem with why R stick calibration. The question that I ask when i take off manually there is no input from the right stick. But I will try the following . 1) calibrate the IMU. 2) Calibrate the R stick . 3) Test what happens when I use auto take off . This is just a process of elimination ? Thank you every one for hour input

Old Man Mavic and Danman 32 . Feed back on your suggestions. 1) I calibrated the IMU, 2) Calibrated both sticks. 3) Used auto take off to see what happens.
I then placed the MM on the launch pad ( not 100% ) level, did all my pre launch stuff, pushed the Auto take off button.
The MM lifted and moved back a couple of inches and then started climbing straight up, stoped and then hovered . I can live with this, no more shooting backwards. I then started take off manually. it was the same as auto take off . lifted slightly moved back a couple of inches and then went straight up. I can live with this as well.
So thank you so much for you info, both of you are an asset to this forum. Be safe and take care.

glad we could help,a slight movement is perfectly ok the motors dont all start at exactly the same moment but they should keep the craft pretty much in one spot once air born
so it sounds like calibrating was the answer and you now know what to do in future
take care and happy flying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50