DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini No Licence requirement question

fjc

Reactions
Since the mini requires no registration or licence to operate, does that mean one can use it for commerical purposes as well? Since you need no licence I would assume the licencing rules do not apply as they would to drones weighing more than 250 grams. And since you need no licence, that would preclude you from having to know the rules in the first place. Thoughts?
Thanks
FJC

Welcome to the forum .
No you would still have to have your part 107.

...And since you need no licence, that would preclude you from having to know the rules in the first place. Thoughts?

Welcome :)

Yeah, thoughts or actually facts ... you as a pilot are always fully responsible for your flight, it isn't a matter of registrations or licenses. You can never say that you didn't know or say that somebody else didn't put up a sign or explicit told you ... and get away with it.

Rules & regulations is for everybody, as simple as that ...

Welcome :)

Yeah, thoughts or actually facts ... you as a pilot are always fully responsible for your flight, it isn't a matter of registrations or licenses. You can never say that you didn't know or say that somebody else didn't put up a sign or explicit told you ... and get away with it.

Rules & regulations is for everybody, as simple as that ...
Hi, thanks, I guess I should have indicated that I'm in Ontario Canada, and rules might be a little different. But still it makes little since to have to follow licensing rules if you need no license in the first place to operate it. Thanks.

Reactions: japharl
Hi, thanks, I guess I should have indicated that I'm in Ontario Canada, and rules might be a little different. But still it makes little since to have to follow licensing rules if you need no license in the first place to operate it. Thanks.
So you have looked into the Canadian rules ... what does they say?

--> Drone Laws in Canada | UAV Coach (2020)

Rules.jpg

Reactions: maverickRKJ
So you have looked into the Canadian rules ... what does they say?

--> Drone Laws in Canada | UAV Coach (2020)

View attachment 93687
Thanks, yes, I have researched and the rules are ambiguous at best. The rules are clear for drones 250 grams and above. In fact new rules were introduced in June of last year governing drones 250 grams and more, the lighter drones weren't addressed. The rules clearly state commercial work for drones over 250 grams require special licensing certificate but nothing about commerical work involving drones less than 250 grams. So does that mean one can do commercial work with these smaller drones? There really is no clear answer. That is why I've come to this forum to get an answer if at all possible. Thanks

Hey fjc, check out micro-drones on this page:

The section says:
Micro drones (under 250 grams) and drones that weigh more than 25 kilograms

Micro drones (under 250 grams) and drones that weigh more than 25 kilograms do not fall into the basic or advanced operations categories. If you have a micro drone, you must never put people or aircraft in danger. Always fly responsibly.

If your drone weighs over 25 kilograms or you want to fly outside the rules, you will need to get special permission from Transport Canada before you fly.

Thanks, yes, I have researched and the rules are ambiguous at best. The rules are clear for drones 250 grams and above. In fact new rules were introduced in June of last year governing drones 250 grams and more, the lighter drones weren't addressed. The rules clearly state commercial work for drones over 250 grams require special licensing certificate but nothing about commerical work involving drones less than 250 grams. So does that mean one can do commercial work with these smaller drones? There really is no clear answer. That is why I've come to this forum to get an answer if at all possible. Thanks
Why not contact Transport Canada regarding commercial flights to be on the safe side... the only thing you gain by flying a drone under 250 gram is as pointed out that you doesn't have to follow the special Basic/Advanced rules.

Basic.jpg

Last edited:
Hey fjc, check out micro-drones on this page:

The section says:
Micro drones (under 250 grams) and drones that weigh more than 25 kilograms

Micro drones (under 250 grams) and drones that weigh more than 25 kilograms do not fall into the basic or advanced operations categories. If you have a micro drone, you must never put people or aircraft in danger. Always fly responsibly.

If your drone weighs over 25 kilograms or you want to fly outside the rules, you will need to get special permission from Transport Canada before you fly.
Hi and thank you for your kind reply. Yup, I know pretty much all of that, I have my TCCAD licence. But a simple questions such as mine is still hard to find an answer to. A clear one. The questions is very basic.. Can a person without a licence (since you don't need one for a 249 gram drone) do commerical work without getting a special certificate for commercial purposes... sure, you need one for drones 250+ but it's unclear is you do for ones under that weight, and I tried calling Transport Canada as well, the their phone just rings and rings, nobody answers. That's why I came here for some help, but it's still clear as mud. Thanks again.. FJC

Reactions: Mrveronn
I think you are making the mistake in thinking that a sub-250g drone is unregulated. In the U.S. anyway, they are still subject to all regulations, including the one that says you need a Remote Pilot certificate to do any commercial work. Registration of the drone is a separate issue.

Reactions: CareyL
I was checking this today and see that in Canada, sub 250 gram drones are not regulated for Basic or Advanced Operations. Advanced Operations being commercial work.

See the new vs the old regulations jpg from that site. From that I believe micro drones can be used commercially - until they put a new regulation to stop it.

That graphic also shows that VLOS and Beyond VLOS do not apply......

Attachments

• regulatory-structure.jpg
    regulatory-structure.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 39
Can a person without a licence (since you don't need one for a 249 gram drone) do commerical work without getting a special certificate for commercial purposes... sure, you need one for drones 250+ but it's unclear is you do for ones under that weight

No.
Any commercial work requires part 107 in the US, regardless of weight.
(Edit at least I think that applies, not sure after reading above post re Canada)

With sub 250g all FAA drone rules apply, just no need for licensing or registration, very much like many countries worldwide.
Why it’s a great travel drone (once all the bugs are squished !!).

Reactions: CareyL
I was checking this today and see that in Canada, sub 250 gram drones are not regulated for Basic or Advanced Operations. Advanced Operations being commercial work.

See the new vs the old regulations jpg from that site. From that I believe micro drones can be used commercially - until they put a new regulation to stop it.

That graphic also shows that VLOS and Beyond VLOS do not apply......
HI, yes..absolutely, that is how I read it as well, although it still leaves a little daylight for interpretations. I'm thinking you're good to go with a sub 250 gram drone to do commercial work without any need to apply for anything at all..certificates wise or permits etc. I tried calling Transport Canada all day, but they never answer their phones.. thanks.

I wouldn’t take a phone call chance. I would e mail em and save the return for proff.

I found this on the U.S. Library of Congress site, but it's about Regulation of Drones: Canada:
[B. Nonrecreational Use

Canadian Aviation Regulations define an “unmanned air vehicle” as “a power-driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft, that is designed to fly without a human operator on board.” [21] According to section 602.41 of the Regulations, “[n]o person shall operate an unmanned air vehicle in flight except in accordance with a special flight operations certificate or an air operator certificate.” [22]

Therefore, operators of UAVs used for nonrecreational purposes—namely, work or research—are legally required to apply for an SFOC.[23] According to Transport Canada, “[t]his applies to all UAVs used for anything but the fun of flying and regardless of how much they weigh. Transport Canada inspectors will review your SFOC application and determine what safety conditions are needed to reduce the risks.” [24]

After June 1, Minis may be the only drones sold in Canada with all of the new regulations. You will have to have aviation maps present, be in contact with ATC, delineate a large take off spot. The rules are so different in each country and the globe has gotten so small it’s almost as if an international treaty is needed.

Since the mini requires no registration or licence to operate, does that mean one can use it for commerical purposes as well? Since you need no licence I would assume the licencing rules do not apply as they would to drones weighing more than 250 grams. And since you need no licence, that would preclude you from having to know the rules in the first place. Thoughts?
Thanks
FJC

Technically you can do your comerical work with MM. Having said that, you will be very limited due to wind and bad weather. Will you be postponing the shoot due to bad weather and high winds? You will not have your business for long... Plus luck of RAW files will limit you as well.
Showing up with MM for comerical shoot is like showing up with point and shoot for a wedding session. I would kick you out and not take seriously. Plus when MM falls and hits someone your business will be on the hook, mavic mini or not.
Get the right tools for a job, don’t try to cut corners and undercut competition.

Reactions: ajkm
When I SPOKE to a Transport Canada rep a month ago, there is absolutely no commercial requirements for any drone licence whether basic,advanced or micro.You can fly ANYTHING commercially as long as you meet the licensing requirements based on size of drone and rules governing basic/advanced.
We USED TO have to apply for a permit to fly and film commercially.That was superceded by the rules brought into effect last year.

Always helps to talk to a representative on these matters rather than a forum member,as rules can change overnight....record the time,date and name of the person you talked to to CYA....

Reactions: CareyL and Stryder
Technically you can do your comerical work with MM. Having said that, you will be very limited due to wind and bad weather. Will you be postponing the shoot due to bad weather and high winds? You will not have your business for long... Plus luck of RAW files will limit you as well.
Showing up with MM for comerical shoot is like showing up with point and shoot for a wedding session. I would kick you out and not take seriously. Plus when MM falls and hits someone your business will be on the hook, mavic mini or not.
Get the right tools for a job, don’t try to cut corners and undercut competition.
Sounds like you realize the MM can easily take away business, in Canada, under the current regulations. The whole point of the sub 250g category is safety. If it hits someone, the harm will be de minimus, compared to your commercial heavy lifter! If the job can be pulled off with a MM, it is the right tool for the job! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Cookedinlh

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair