DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini old vs new props

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109934

I did noise test few days between old stock props and new aftermarket props. After installing new props I was amazed. New props were 3-4dB quieter, and MM hovered much better on new props, it was lock in one place. Seems like MM props are very delicate, and even from just carrying drone in your pocket, props might get used. Did anyone notice the difference in how MM hovers after using it for a few weeks? Maybe you have a video when new and now? New set of props is only 14$.

Reactions: fificap
Which props did you get, I’ve seen some very bad experiences with after market on YouTub.

I got them on eBay, from seller prechen_store

I can't recommend them, they are junk. I think one would need a milligram scale and some work, to weight them and match them properly. I did a small destruction experiment with them as I would not fly them outside anywhere further/harder. My red set just arrived today, but after quick visual inspection, it is worst then yellow, maybe because it was from different sellers.

I got them on eBay, from seller prechen_store

I can't recommend them, they are junk. I think one would need a milligram scale and some work, to weight them and match them properly. I did a small destruction experiment with them as I would not fly them outside anywhere further/harder. My red set just arrived today, but after quick visual inspection, it is worst then yellow, maybe because it was from different sellers.

Thanks for this feedback ! It will save some $ for some of us.

I did noise test few days between old stock props and new aftermarket props. After installing new props I was amazed. New props were 3-4dB quieter, and MM hovered much better on new props, it was lock in one place. Seems like MM props are very delicate, and even from just carrying drone in your pocket, props might get used. Did anyone notice the difference in how MM hovers after using it for a few weeks? Maybe you have a video when new and now? New set of props is only 14$.

Never saw 3--4db difference. Looked like one to two db with either set of blades in all directions.

Never saw 3--4db difference. Looked like one to two db with either set of blades in all directions.

That is correct this video shows a test between 2 new sets, 3-4dB difference between an old and new set.(earlier video)

If this experiment is going to have any resemblance to accuracy you need to be a fixed distance away for all measurements. Your hand holding is way too close. I would suggest mounting your dosimeter on a tripod at 8 or 10 feet, (2-3m), and at head height or have both the drone and dosimeter at an equal distance from side walls and floor & ceiling.

You cannot arrive at the conclusions that you are by your flawed methodology.

I'm thinking that it must be the props are significantly less efficient causing the mini to spin the motors quicker to maintain lift, thus causing the increased noise. I wonder if setting the drone on a padded surface (no vibration being transferred onto surface) and measuring the noise when it doesn't need to maintain lift (spinning at the normal idle).

I'm thinking that it must be the props are significantly less efficient causing the mini to spin the motors quicker to maintain lift, thus causing the increased noise. I wonder if setting the drone on a padded surface (no vibration being transferred onto surface) and measuring the noise when it doesn't need to maintain lift (spinning at the normal idle).

At normal idle aftermarket new props were quieter from old DJI stock props by 2-3dB and 1dB between new stock and new aftermarket.

Reactions: bfindlay
If this experiment is going to have any resemblance to accuracy you need to be a fixed distance away for all measurements. Your hand holding is way too close. I would suggest mounting your dosimeter on a tripod at 8 or 10 feet, (2-3m), and at head height or have both the drone and dosimeter at an equal distance from side walls and floor & ceiling.

You cannot arrive at the conclusions that you are by your flawed methodology.

The closer to the drone the more precise sound levels I was able to capture, at list in conditions I had. The further away I go, the more bounced and external signal I would capture.
I used a calibrated sound level meter, not a dosimeter.
Ideally, I wish I have a quiet room with acoustic panels, etc. but this was a simple test just to see if I can even detect the difference between them. I have repeated the whole process 3 times and got very similar results, so consistency in level difference was there. Accuracy as to absolute dB number surely might be off a bit.

Has anyone received their buymore kit and received only three blades.

My drone is about .16 db less than the ones you got there!!! They really run smoothly and how it hovers... you can hardly hear it!

Hello
I picked up a set of the Carbon Fiber After market props. to see how well they work.
First I was not impressed with how the drone handled. it was all over the air. I was just hovering and it would not stay in one place. I flow it for about 4 minutes and then took them off. a lot louder and you should hear the motors not being able to idle down. contacted the seller asked for my money back ( $18) for the set. He asked for a picture of it not flying correctly. Not sure how I was going to do that. SO I put the CF props back on and out in my drive way trying to get a little video of it. it was hovering better this time and then it took off backward into my garage hitting a cardboard box and falling 3 ft. lucky no damage. So I put it back out and tried again this time it idled out and was hovering great. Not sure if it just needed time for the computer to get use to the new props or what. I did a 9 minute flight and no problems. The CF props are shaped the same as the stock ones just NO flex. Wind is blowing and we are to get rain ( very little) for the next 4 days. What I'm hoping for is a few things one better handling in little wind, two more flight time. here are some pictures of me weighing the stock props and the CF props. a full set of stock props with screws are less then 1 gram. SO I dropped it down the grains. used my beam scale for reloading. You can figure out how many grains to a gram.. It added 2 grams to the drone.
And it was early don't laugh at my toes.
:p
4.jpg20200310_080418.jpg20200310_080425.jpg20200310_080435.jpg20200310_080441.jpg20200310_080536.jpg20200310_080807.jpg20200310_080812.jpg20200310_080819.jpg20200310_081013.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: m80116
If the rear motors are maxed out earlier you risk a blow-away case with anything but the calmest wind. Do you tests before proper flights.
I'd really like to observe a side blade profile (close up) of those CF props compared to regular DJI ones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom