DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini prop guards - relevant to future FAA regs on flying over people?

Maviac

Reactions
It seems reasonably certain that a new Mavic will be announced tomorrow (and probably will have been by the time most read this). Looking at the leaked pictures, the included prop guard seems very substantial, more so than on prior DJI products. Is it possible that this is to try to comply with future/anticipated regs about flying over people? I‘ll admit I haven’t studied the proposals closely (and I’m looking at somewhat fuzzy photos) but it occurred to me that maybe this was some forethought on DJI’s part to give more freedom to future flyers (the 249g weight indicates they’re obviously cognizant of and responding to regs). I know prop protection was part of the FAA discussion, and none of the DJI guards I’ve seen previously would comply with what has been discussed. I defer to those who have followed this more than I.

(As a side note, I think any discussion about a Mavic 3 or MA 2 is probably premature because DJI is probably waiting to see how this shakes out before releasing a more expensive larger drone, but that’s a subject for another thread).

An equally plausible explanation would be that since this is intended to be a beginner drone, without obstacle avoidance, they wanted to include a beefier guard to avoid an epidemic of folks flying the aircraft into themselves or someone else while playing around at low altitude.

Anyway, just throwing this out there.

Sincerely, your friend,

Maviac

Reactions: georgerandybass
interesting thought. I think the prop cage is included in the fly more combo to negate the fact that theres no obstacle avoidance. My $0.02

Reactions: Thomas B
It seems reasonably certain that a new Mavic will be announced tomorrow (and probably will have been by the time most read this). Looking at the leaked pictures, the included prop guard seems very substantial, more so than on prior DJI products. Is it possible that this is to try to comply with future/anticipated regs about flying over people? I‘ll admit I haven’t studied the proposals closely (and I’m looking at somewhat fuzzy photos) but it occurred to me that maybe this was some forethought on DJI’s part to give more freedom to future flyers (the 249g weight indicates they’re obviously cognizant of and responding to regs). I know prop protection was part of the FAA discussion, and none of the DJI guards I’ve seen previously would comply with what has been discussed. I defer to those who have followed this more than I.

(As a side note, I think any discussion about a Mavic 3 or MA 2 is probably premature because DJI is probably waiting to see how this shakes out before releasing a more expensive larger drone, but that’s a subject for another thread).

An equally plausible explanation would be that since this is intended to be a beginner drone, without obstacle avoidance, they wanted to include a beefier guard to avoid an epidemic of folks flying the aircraft into themselves or someone else while playing around at low altitude.

Anyway, just throwing this out there.

Sincerely, your friend,

Maviac

Was thinking the same thing... also wondering if this would work with the 5.5 Crystal Sky...

I wonder if the prop guards will make the take off weight more than 250 grams?

BINGO! The noted weight of the aircraft is with battery with WITHOUT the prop guards. Adding them will push the weight over the 250 point and put the aircraft in the MUST BE REGISTERED for Hobby Flights section again.

It's important to note that if it's flown for Part 107 it must be registered anyway. Part 107 makes no allowance for under 250g aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos