DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Range TEst

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109934

Last night I noticed on my "PredictWind" app for sailing that wind will be super light today and decided to do "range test" It was really nice and warm 4C.

I received a few "weak signal points your controller towards AC" signal strength was still 100%, but I decided to leave some fun for the next day and returned back. Also, I forgot to check the cell phone tower location and didn't want to go the wrong direction.
I have noticed my new toy is very addictive. I came from flying in the backyard taking selfies to range tests in just a few days, I'm scared what will happen in a few months, pilot license and buying biggest drone I can get my hands on, crossing the pond in 2025:)?

This is a fun hobby for sure, and really amazing forum.

So what did it do at 2545m, is tht where YOU chose to stop the flight ?
I know you had the 2500m target, so probably.

I just didn't see any messages etc about wireless loss there.

So what's next, 3000m ?? :)

One thing I have noticed in almost all of these types of tests is a lack of thought as to how to conduct the flight.
Eg. I've seen range tests in urban environments, where not only can there be lots of signal interference, but if there was a problem, it could get nasty below.
Wifi connected drones are more prone to this too.

Your flight was good in that regard, but why not try these tests paralleling the lakes edge, say 10m / 20m over the water, at 60m altitude.
If something did go wrong, you could probably guide it over land at least.

So what did it do at 2545m, is tht where YOU chose to stop the flight ?
I know you had the 2500m target, so probably.

I just didn't see any messages etc about wireless loss there.

So what's next, 3000m ?? :)

One thing I have noticed in almost all of these types of tests is a lack of thought as to how to conduct the flight.
Eg. I've seen range tests in urban environments, where not only can there be lots of signal interference, but if there was a problem, it could get nasty below.
Wifi connected drones are more prone to this too.

Your flight was good in that regard, but why not try these tests paralleling the lakes edge, say 10m / 20m over the water, at 60m altitude.
If something did go wrong, you could probably guide it over land at least.

I reached my target and didn't want to press my luck, plus I left more fun for next day :) I knew there are few cell towers below but didn't know exactly where.
I was thinking about doing exactly what you suggested, but I was afraid of more interference from wi-fi houses by the shore. This flight was designed and executed as per my "wind plan". Winds on this is lake change and are not equal across the distance, I picked the route to go upwind and fly back with the wind, this was my only goal, kinda warming up and testing for longer attempts :)
I was also thinking next time to fly at starting altitude 0m, this way drone would not be hit at all by ground wi-fi from the shore, but I would have to move to the edge of the cliff (there was a lot of signs not to do it and something about 5000$ penalty, so I was good boy, and didn't want to fall down, at list before I hit some bigger numbers ;)

Urban tests are kinda hit and miss in my opinion, you never know how many gamers houses with strong access points you will hit on the way, to make more scientific I would need to take my laptop with wi-fi stumbler and drive around to create wi-fi survey with signal strength\noise and then choose "best" path otherwise is like playing darts blindfolded...

3000m next :) can't wait.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters