DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini: Ratio # flight batteries vs one charge Remote Control?

wolframmitbach

Reactions
I received my Mavic Mini fly more Combo just this week. I made just one flight and was quite satisfied with the flying time. However the speed how the remote Control discharged concerned me somewhat. Does anybody have already some experience how many flight batteries can be flown with one charge of the remote Control?
Thanks for input

Probably U have Android phone? Controller charges Android devices thats why remote controll is discharging so fast. On my one charge of remote controller i'm able to flight about 4-5 MM batteries.

Hi Kuczas thanks for the Info - yes I have an Android device. Is there a way to avoid this?

My problem after just two flights of about 15 minutes the battery in my iPhone went down to critical levels. I started with 95% charge on the phone and full charge on the MM battery and controller with the iPhone in airplane mode. what is happening.

It's a limitation of the Android API that apps have to use to access Android control, and USB minimum specs that an A mode device (OTG mode, RC in this case) must provide a B mode device (Android in this case) with 500mA. Many Androids will ignore the USB if no power is provided to it.
Some manufacturers have included full charge control. They can because they have root access for their built-in apps and settings. User apps do not.

Some experimenting was done to passively limit current by using a resistor. So far that's been unreliable.

Reactions: Ramacher
My problem after just two flights of about 15 minutes the battery in my iPhone went down to critical levels. I started with 95% charge on the phone and full charge on the MM battery and controller with the iPhone in airplane mode. what is happening.
I have an iPhone 6, started out today with 78%, three batteries (68 mins) iPhone now at 32%. Controller at 3 lights , it’s had a total of 6 flights now since charge. It’s 4 deg here in the UK at the moment.

Reactions: BlackTR48
I am curious as to why my iPhone battery discharges very fast while flying the Mini when it is in Airplane mode

I know from experience iPhone batteries are terrible in cold conditions, I fitted an OEM battery last year as the original battery would plummet when cold. I only had wifi and Bluetooth off.

are you saying that you replaced the original battery

I know from experience iPhone batteries are terrible in cold conditions, I fitted an OEM battery last year as the original battery would plummet when cold. I only had wifi and Bluetooth off.
The app puts a heavy load on the phone: CPU/GPU/display. It isn't getting any help in power from the RC.

I received my Mavic Mini fly more Combo just this week. I made just one flight and was quite satisfied with the flying time. However the speed how the remote Control discharged concerned me somewhat. Does anybody have already some experience how many flight batteries can be flown with one charge of the remote Control?
Thanks for input
I use a 10k power bank Velcro'd to the back. Keeps the MC at 100% and charges the phone enough so that I can keep it at the brightest setting. It is a micro USB, (charging +data), that I hot glued on. Works like a charm. Note - get thick cables.

Attachments

• MC OTG.jpg
    MC OTG.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: wolframmitbach
I use a 10k power bank Velcro'd to the back. Keeps the MC at 100% and charges the phone enough so that I can keep it at the brightest setting. It is a micro USB, (charging +data), that I hot glued on. Works like a charm. Note - get thick cables.
Can you elaborate on this... does "MC" means "mini controller"? also, where are you plugging the power bank into? the charge port of the controller?

I had the same problem with iPhone 6, changing the phone battery resolved the issue. Batteries are cheap and it only takes couple of minutes to change

Can you elaborate on this... does "MC" means "mini controller"? also, where are you plugging the power bank into? the charge port of the controller?
There is only one port on the Mavic Mini. Their rectangle plug for data and find your own micro usb for charging. This latter will do both and in order to save wear on the MC I have hot glued it on the side.

Attachments

• 20191118_202415.jpg
    20191118_202415.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 20191118_202850.jpg
    20191118_202850.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 48
  • MC OTG.jpg
    MC OTG.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 45
Note that when the RC port is in A/OTG mode, the RC outputs 5v@ 500mA. Trying to overwhelm the output power while in data mode to apply charge current to the RC is not recommended.

Guys, Not too sure I understand the whole issue here. So the controller is charging the phone/tablet and drawing down its own battery? Is that the issue?

IF that is the problem,, a few thoughts...

... How about opening the controller, and placing a jack in parallel with its battery? Then "plug in" an external battery / power pack, greatly increasing the RCs available battery capacity, and in turn, the phone/tablet. Would that be an issue? Seems like that would solve the problem...

Am I missing something here?

Yes, the issue is that Androids do not provide a means for apps to disable charging, and USB standards state that a USB host, RC in this case, needs to provide at least 500mA to a target device, the phone/tablet in this case. So, the Android goes into slow charge when connected to the RC, drawing up to 500mA from the RC.

In other Mavic models, you could connect the phone/tablet to a USB A port on the bottom, and a power bank on the side port in the same way you'd be charging the RC.

For the MIni though, there's only one USB port, the one on the side. It can only be in one of two modes:
A/OTG mode: acts as if it is a PC from the phone's perspective, providing power to the connected device.
B mode: Accepts power for charging, also accepts connection as a device, usually with a PC for transferring files from the SD card, and communication with Assistant for firmware updates.

Reactions: netsonic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird