DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini RC antenna configuration. (Which is which)

bymoerch

Reactions
Hello everyone.

I have searched around a lot, but doesn't seem to be able to get a straight answer.
I'm trying to figure out the antenna configuration on the mavic mini RC.
On the mavic pro, left antenna is TX/RX and right antenna is RX only. That makes it possible to just boost the left antenna.
Does anyone have any clear answers to the setup on the mini?
I have attached pictures of the antenna, but both seem to be dual band antennas.

If no one have any confirmed answers, then I'll hopefully start to experiment next week.

Cheers from Denmark.

Attachments

• 20200123_202051.jpg
    20200123_202051.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 259
  • 20200123_202109.jpg
    20200123_202109.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 257
Don’t know on the mini but do know with the WiFi Phantoms
1 was 5.8 and the other was 2.4.

Reactions: bymoerch
Pro isn’t WiFi though.

I have just done a little experiment for you. I put my Mini in the kitchen and took the RC outside the apartment. When I wrapped my palm around the right antenna ( the one closer to the on/off switch ). The message "remote controller signal is lost" always pop up immediately indicating the loss of uplink. Depending on how far I was out, sometimes I got a black screen on DJI FLY and sometimes not.

If I wrap my palm around the left antenna ( the once close to the RTH button ), screen black out occurred mostly without the "remote controller signal is lost" message.

I therefore have the feeling that the right antenna is for TX/RX while the left one is for RX diversity.

BTW, my Mini is the single-band model running on 5.8 GHz only.

Last edited:
I have just done a little experiment for you. I put my Mini in the kitchen and took the RC outside the apartment. When I wrapped my palm around the right antenna ( the one closer to the on/off switch ). The message "remote controller signal is lost" always pop up immediately indicating the loss of uplink. Depending on how far I was out, sometimes I got a black screen on DJI FLY and sometimes not.

If I wrap my palm around the left antenna ( the once close to the RTH button ), screen black out occurred mostly without the "remote controller signal is lost" message.

I therefore have the feeling that the right antenna is for TX/RX while the left one is for RX diversity.

Good info.

Good stuff :)
I tried with copper tubing around my antennas, one at a time and both of them, got full signal all the way, hehe.
Havn't tried with some distance.
I'll do some tests as soon as i have mounted RMA så i can disconnected the antennas.

Pro isn’t WiFi though.

i have a 4hawks antenna mod on my tx so I can disconnect each antenna. I tested the output on left and right antenna and the left antenna was not outputting any signal at all. So then totest diversity I connected to the drone and disconnected the right antenna and got a complete signal loss. I reconnected the right antenna and the signal came back. Itried disconnecting the right antenna and power cycling the tc.no connection until reconnecting the right antenna.

the left antenna appears to be doing nothing at all.

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
i have a 4hawks antenna mod on my tx so I can disconnect each antenna. I tested the output on left and right antenna and the left antenna was not outputting any signal at all. So then totest diversity I connected to the drone and disconnected the right antenna and got a complete signal loss. I reconnected the right antenna and the signal came back. Itried disconnecting the right antenna and power cycling the tc.no connection until reconnecting the right antenna.

the left antenna appears to be doing nothing at all.

But Guys,

I think that the test Minis were both/all the FCC models(US ones), so what if the left antenna is for 2.4ghz TX/RX and the right one for 5.8ghz TX/RX. I have a CE model Mini and would love to add to this experiment today after work. I'll do the same and see what happens, block the left antenna check and then the other way around with the other antenna. Maybe if we use the 2.4ghz band channels the your results will be flipped around! Meaning that the left antenna would be TX/RX and right one will start doing nothing, or less stuff at least.

What if the let antenna is for the CE models, so they can use their 2.4ghz?! Not sure if the CE models use the same right antenna for the 2.4ghz band channels.

That will be very interesting to find out - as I'm a CE Mini owner and would like to have 2km of range in and out the city.

cool cool

:)

Reactions: bymoerch
But Guys,

I think that the test Minis were both/all the FCC models(US ones), so what if the left antenna is for 2.4ghz TX/RX and the right one for 5.8ghz TX/RX. I have a CE model Mini and would love to add to this experiment today after work. I'll do the same and see what happens, block the left antenna check and then the other way around with the other antenna. Maybe if we use the 2.4ghz band channels the your results will be flipped around! Meaning that the left antenna would be TX/RX and right one will start doing nothing, or less stuff at least.

What if the let antenna is for the CE models, so they can use their 2.4ghz?! Not sure if the CE models use the same right antenna for the 2.4ghz band channels.

That will be very interesting to find out - as I'm a CE Mini owner and would like to have 2km of range in and out the city.

cool cool

:)

Curious to find out. Mines fcc only so no way to switch to 2.4. If this is the case then everyone using two amplifiers can toss one of them. I’ll be receiving an amplifier tomorrow to test that scenario.

And the left one?

This is not done by me but a local guy. He probably has tried the left one and found that to to be not tramsitting so he focused on measuring the right one. The readings he got are :

Japan : 18 dBm
US : 30 dBm
China : 28 dBm
Hong Kong : 30 dBm

This is not done by me but a local guy. He probably has tried the left one and found that to to be not tramsitting so he focused on measuring the right one. The readings he got are :

Good info. I was not able to get a reading directly connecting my immersionrc rf meter. I don’t now why. The only way I can get anynreading at all is with an antenna on the meter itself and crank the attenuator way up. So I have no idea what the real power is I’m just getting “something”

does this mean that this amplifier is not going to work for the mini? It says maximum input is 20 dBm:

Sunhans eSunRC 2000mW 5.8Ghz 33dBm WiFi Signal Booster Compatible with DJI, Yuneec, 3DR, XIRO,Parrot, JTT and Blade Drones Amazon.com: Sunhans eSunRC 2000mW 5.8Ghz 33dBm WiFi Signal Booster Compatible with DJI, Yuneec, 3DR, XIRO,Parrot, JTT and Blade Drones: Toys & Games

what about the CE Models, what readings do they have, and is the left antenna for the 2.4ghz transmission on the CE models?! it would be cool if someone could measure the CE model, I have one but not sure what device I need and how to use it to measure correctly.

cool cool

Interesting subject. I was thinking the same thing whether to amplify only 1 side of the antenna. Mine was modded but not amplified and is using CE version.

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa