DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini remote controller don't starts properly.

Lebensgefahr

Reactions
When I turn on the power by pressing the button it starts blinking with all leds. Remote controller is not appear as usb device. It looks like it is not boot into firmware. Of course I can't flash it with DJI Assistant. It is not detectable by DJI Fly.
Maybe there is a way to turn it into backup mode (for example if video record button and photo button are holded and then you will turn RC on it starts blinking by two central LEDs by rotation). And if this mode is the mode I can flash it directly should be the way to do that. Thanks.

Have you tried the button pressing manual linking proceedure for connecting the drone to the controller that is given in the manual? Page 29 point 2) https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200212/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf

oooops

Are you using the correct version of the assistant? Mavic Mini - Specs, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI
my Windows 7 does not see a working mini controller at all until "DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic" is running. Indeed the controller will time out switch off if left connected to the computer long enough with out the DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic running

Last edited by a moderator:
Your link is pointing onto Release_notes there is no page 29 there.
I tried to connect RC to the linux pc. Remote controller should appear in dmesg log if it is Ok. I connected it to the linux machine many times and it appear as usb device. But now it is not. It looks like its boot-loader was damaged. Remote controller is in a brick mode :)
ANd my phone is not reacting on remote controller connecting as earlier.

Last edited:
How many times have you flown successfully ?
The RC needs to be powered on for it to be detected as a usb device have you tried it with a windows 10 pc ?

I charged every of my three batteries about 12 times :)
I tried it with linux, windows 7 and phone. It is not accessible anywhere. What is the normal state of the remote controller after powering on without aircraft? It should show its battery status with its leds?
I have some strange things with it. I will make video soon.

Do you have same reaction of remote controller on actions shown in the video? As far as I can remember when it is powered off and power on button pressed it shows battery level. So my is fully charged. But what it shows if I pressed both side buttons at the same time and press power button? The last state in the video looks like it is ready for hard flashing.

Last edited:
This is what I see
I do not understand what you are using the Dlink DUB e100 for unless you are possibly connecting the computer and controller via network? If that's the case, why? A std USB cable was probably supplied for the purpose.
That said I have never had much luck with network connections between a computer and a device so I tend to stay away from them.

Reactions: Capt KO
Push button 2x (short/long) to turn on and off. ? relink if needed.

Thanks for this video. I know how to power it on and off. But now I know that leds are flashing as they must. And there is no something suspicious in it's flashing.
I tried to investigate internal system of the RC. I have a bit knowledge about linux so I tried to look closer in mavic mini internals. It was yesterday. I connected dub e100 to it and read some scripts, system configuration files, tried to mount mtblock[1-7] and others. Tried to connect to mavic aircraft with telnet from the RC. It is possible that I damaged on of the partition of the RC disk drive, but I don't guess how can I.
When I connected dub e100 to normally functioning RC internals scripts will load kernel module asix.ko and this device appear as ath0 in the system and it will get network address 192.168.3.10/24.
But today I discovered that this connection is not working. I investigate issue and discovered that RC doesn't appear as usb device. I checked cable and it's ok. Then I tried to turn on mavic aircraft to check connections with RC and nothing. So that means RC is not functioning properly. I guess the boot-loader of RC is broken. This is the reason it is not appear as usb device.
I have the same issue with brand new arduino board. It does not appear as com-usb device until I flash it with boot loader.
My last hope is that RC has restore mode I can initiate. Instead I should disassembly RC and look closer to it's main board, but I guess I can't deal with that.
Of course I tried to pair but nothing. I told you that DJY fly is always in "RC is not connected" state. It doesn't matter is it connected or not. It is not boot properly into system so this is the reason it is not working as USB device. Aircraft is still working as USB device in two different state as expected.
Maybe you know what type of chips are used in RC?

Last edited:
I bought used RC and it works fine. I dumped all partitions of it. First of seven partition is u-boot and the second its environment variables (actually kernel boot parameters).

If you have connected a working controller to a Linux system via USB where does the system see or place the controller. I haven't used Linux is a decade (Mandrake (long gone I think)) but just added it (Mint) a week or so ago and may start using it.
/etc/fstab seems out of favour now so I am somewhat without a map

If you have connected a working controller to a Linux system via USB where does the system see or place the controller. I haven't used Linux is a decade (Mandrake (long gone I think)) but just added it (Mint) a week or so ago and may start using it.
/etc/fstab seems out of favour now so I am somewhat without a map
When I connected RC to USB port of my linux PC dmesg shows me the following.
[71426.174449] usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.31--LSDK-9.2.0_U11.14-g580e8c6-dirty wi #this kernel is in the RC firmware.
[71426.208962] cdc_acm 1-3:2.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[71426.210414] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[71426.210415] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

But I don't know how to connect to it. I tried but it seems like there is a special protocol there.

I'am connecting to working RC thorough the Dlink DUB e100 usb to lan adapter.

DJI support answered to me. They tell my I should send it back to china both of them (AC and RC). So I made a decision to disassemble bricked RC.

I checked all of the pins on the main board, buttons board (not under the chip covers) and nothing. There is no rx/tx pins. How did they flashing it at the factory... It should have an easy access to its serial.
I checked all pins of the ribbon cable. It has 10 pins of GND, 10 are connetcted to the USB, 4 buttons + 4 LEDS. This ribbon cable connector has 30 pins.
The last hope is RX/TX are located on the opposite to AR9342 chip side. I will check it soon.

Hello Leben,
I am super new (like in terms of hours!) to the whole drone/Mavic thing, but when I first set up my controller and and Mini, they would not pair. And the DJI Fly app itself started complaining it was running on unsupported hardware (that would be my iPhone XS with 13.7 iOS). I reinstalled DJI Fly, then installed Assistant 2 on a PC (running Win10), connected both Mini and controller, and updated the FW on both. Afterwards I was able to pair.
If your controller is "bricked" in some way, maybe A2 on Windows might help you to flash/reflash current FW to it. I am not sure what functional differences are for A2 between Win10 and Linux. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Reactions: ff22
Hello Leben,
I am super new (like in terms of hours!) to the whole drone/Mavic thing, but when I first set up my controller and and Mini, they would not pair. And the DJI Fly app itself started complaining it was running on unsupported hardware (that would be my iPhone XS with 13.7 iOS). I reinstalled DJI Fly, then installed Assistant 2 on a PC (running Win10), connected both Mini and controller, and updated the FW on both. Afterwards I was able to pair.
If your controller is "bricked" in some way, maybe A2 on Windows might help you to flash/reflash current FW to it. I am not sure what functional differences are for A2 between Win10 and Linux. Just a thought.

Good luck.
Hello. It is not possible because RC is not detected by any kind of operational system. It can't start linux kernel and as the result it is not available as any suitable for A2 device. I thought that should be serial port somewhere on PCB. But I didn't find it. That means RC is totally bricked and there is no way to turn it back to life without DJI support.
When you turn your RC on u-boot starts firstly. U-boot is an open source bootloader. Then linux kernel should be started by u-boot. This is how any OpenWRT routers works. DJI RC has leftovers of TPLINK routers firmware (default root password is 5up located in cat etc/shadow). Router u-boot is available through serial console. It is possible to watch on boot process deeper and it can be debugged and fixed if any error occures. Mavic mini rc is not available as their older remote controllers like Phantom 3, so there is now way to investigate this issue.

How are you able to get into the OS level of the MM RC?

I would be surprised DJI borrowed from a router for their controllers. The controllers are pretty much ready to go almost immediately after power on. Not really true for a router.

Hello Leben,

Good luck.
Welcome to the forum. And thanks for immediately providing info which might help that user and others. Long years flying.

How are you able to get into the OS level of the MM RC?

I would be surprised DJI borrowed from a router for their controllers. The controllers are pretty much ready to go almost immediately after power on. Not really true for a router.

Watch this video
I just want to warn you that works only adapters based on ASIX old chips. For example DLINK DUB E100 adapters.

Of course I am not sure they are using openwrt but I found default TPlink password in the shadow file. Moreover RC based on the same chip as one of the TP link router.
RC firmware has no a lot of scripts used in routers. Of course they chop unneeded kernel modules, libraries and executables. RC firmware is easier than router firmware. All functions develped by DJI are located in 3 binaries apsrv/monitor/net_check.
Another proof of tplink firmware based RC is another my thread. I discovered RC can be powered on in a special mode. I've got the answer from the DJI support. They don't know about this mode. Of course support guy can lie to me.

Hi just want to know if you have tried running the RC to pairing mode?

Just press and hold the power button again for a few seconds after turning it on.
It should beep continuously with sequential led lights.
Do the same with the MM they should pair-up again.

With no aircraft connected i am able to access the controller via asix chipset 10/100 usb adapter.

That led status just for me is an indicator that RC is not connected properly to aircraft.

Regarding the protocol used. Im sure you already find it but heres the one i got..

DUML: DJI Unified Markup Language. It's basically the language that the RC/AC talk.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000