DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Reviews--- Why aren't they comparing to the Mavic Air? .. and.... strange marketing.

Firejay27

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So I've watched a dozen Mini reviews so far. Only one has even mentioned the Mavic Air and they keep comparing it to the Mavic Pro. Almost gives me the impression that DJI has given the reviewers directions to not compare the two so the Air isn't promoted anymore. (ie discontinuing the air).

I've also noticed that all the reviewers are promoting the quick settings like Orbit and all as some new big thing... but the air has had them all along.

AND it appears that DJI is anticipating even more regulations as 1/2 the reviewers stressed the fact that it can be flown anywhere and is not required to be registered with the FAA. I can see more entry level people causing problems for the responsible people.

Thoughts on all/any of the above?

Well, there's nothing to compare really. ISO is 50% of a Mavic 2, only has 2.7 K video, no RAW stills, only 264 video no 265 option... it's really just a cheap and hopefully DJI reliable little drone. Its big thing is that anyone can buy and fly without jumping through hoops and probably get some stable images. But there's no real comparison to a Mavic 2 or the bigger Mavic Series drones.

It replaces the Spark apparently... here's the comparison chart for that:

Last edited:
At 249g without the propeller cages it doesn’t have to be FAA ‘registered’, unless:
1. You add any accessories to the basic airframe and battery.
2. You want to fly in controlled airspace where you need a LAANC authorization.

Note: the Mini has DJI Flysafe/GeoZone built in.

That being said, all USA recreational flyers will have to take the (upcoming) aeronautical knowledge test in order to fly outdoors.

All the reviews I've seen also SKIP the spec that we all want to know. RANGE! We all know Wifi can't do 4KM as advertised. I assume it will be similar to the MavicAir, since it sounds like it has the same 5.8Ghz Wifi communications for video. I'm hoping someone from this forum actually does a range test when they get one. But I guess for me that doesn't matter anyway, since it only writes video at 40mbps, a show stopper. The sample videos I've seen today are blurred when recording tough stuff like water waves, grass that's 10-20' away, along with shrubs. 95% of the video looks acceptable, it's the 5% that disappoints with blurring, evidently from the slow write speed.

Reactions: AMGKid
what about the tracking feature ? does it have follow me feature ? no one mentioned it ... its kind of deal breaker

They showed tracking in the promotional video. I haven't seen any review actually mention it.

Mavic Mini = Mavic Lite.

It is a stripped down Mavic Air for less money. No new tech, simply a lot of tech and safety features removed for a reduced price.

Reactions: AMGKid and Mavic 57
It's just a Spark 2, that happens to look like a Mavic.
I think they promote it as a Spark replacement since they no longer sell the Spark.

Reactions: MavicVA
I think the proper comparison is to the Tello, and I am not sure it wins that faceoff. No tracking and, worst of all, you cannot fly without the RC? Are you joking? How is that portable and convenient? No gesture control as in the Spark or Air either. No thank you. What a major disappointment.

It has gesture control. See the FlytPath review.

So I've watched a dozen Mini reviews so far. Only one has even mentioned the Mavic Air and they keep comparing it to the Mavic Pro. Almost gives me the impression that DJI has given the reviewers directions to not compare the two so the Air isn't promoted anymore. (ie discontinuing the air).

I've also noticed that all the reviewers are promoting the quick settings like Orbit and all as some new big thing... but the air has had them all along.

AND it appears that DJI is anticipating even more regulations as 1/2 the reviewers stressed the fact that it can be flown anywhere and is not required to be registered with the FAA. I can see more entry level people causing problems for the responsible people.

Thoughts on all/any of the above?
In my opinion they don't compare it to the Air since it is really no match to the Air. They can't compare it to the Spark, since the Spark seems to be a better package if you compare the two on specs. So then the only left "comparison" is with the Mavic 2
Pro, and that is fine from a commercial point of view, because the Mini is so much cheaper than the 2Pro, that a reviewer can say: "Yes, it misses a lot of features compared to the Pro, but LOOK AT HOW SMALL AND CHEAP IT IS!!!"...

Reactions: Shon
These reviewers are getting more and more ridiculous. I no longer see any of them as reviewers and more like paid sales people. They avoid comparing the Mini to the Air and avoid talking about range. Something tells me we'll see a disappointment but they'll defend all their BS by saying, "But LOOK at that PRICE!" The fact that you still need to bring a remote along makes it just as "convenient" as bringing a Mavic air along. I rather keep the Air. Besides, the way all of them are acting like grown little kids, taunting and making fun of the FAA for the 250g weight limit, I'm sure they'll quickly change the regulation.

Spot on, Supermachoalpha! Spot on. Now that the dust has settled, I am feeling sad that DJI missed the mark on this so badly. I was pretty excited to have something to look forward to under the Christmas tree this year. Not so much :-(

what about the tracking feature ? does it have follow me feature ? no one mentioned it ... its kind of deal breaker
Per the website it does not have active tracking. I was kind of bummed out about that since I do like to use that feature on my Mavic Pro. I really do like the size since I typically carry a bunch of camera gear when out that having something this size would help considerably but still doesn't have the features my pro has and the pro isn't all that big still.

I think most everyone here is missing the point. DJI didn't make the mini to sell to us who all ready have a better drone. Their trying to get new people interested in drones, so they made a watered down Mavic at a real lower price in hopes that new people will buy them see how much fun they are and then se oh wow if I had a 1200 dollar drone I could go farther and faster and take better pictures and bla bla bla . Its a marketing strategy and a pretty good one IMHO :rolleyes:

I have no idea why many think the Mini should be compared to the Air. It's not in the same class. The closer comparison is with the Spark.

As for 100mbs, that is for 4k. Max resolution on Mini is 2.7k. No 4k, no need for 100mb.

I have no idea why many think the Mini should be compared to the Air. It's not in the same class. The closer comparison is with the Spark.

As for 100mbs, that is for 4k. Max resolution on Mini is 2.7k. No 4k, no need for 100mb.
Yeah I agree with you there. The price speaks for itself.

As far as the Mavic Mini goes, I think it's all in the name...MINI. The Tello and the Spark are not pocket drones. I think DJI thinks people want an inexpensive very compact drone and I see their point. They (DJI) probably figure people on foot or bike are looking more for a small drone with longer range and longer flight time and willing to sacrifice few other features the Spark has. At this point in time I'd give up follow me or the hand features for smaller size, speed, distance, and flight time that the Mini does because it suits my needs more. Oh and at a reasonable cost.

I do wonder why they didn't allow for an app that operates it w/o the Mini's controller similar to how the Tello can. Not that I like using my phone to control my Tello (I actually hate flying it with my phone), but for short close by operation, it would have been a nice feature for the Mini to have. Talk about super compact. But it's not even close to the Air, something costing more that twice the price of the Mini.

Can you tell me where you saw that? I've watched the review twice and see no mention on Gesture control. Sorry if I am being dense here.

Thanks

At 2:57

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent