DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini support is the worst I’ve ever had to deal with and still nearly a month later I have no resolve!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Owsley

Reactions
Yes I just wanted to post my story to let others here before buying a mavic mini drone and throwing their money away. I just recently purchased the 550 dollar fly more package and after only four days of having the drone it lost signal while directly overhead. For some reason my screen went black and showed aircraft disconnected on I phone. What was even worse is it took off in opposite direction with me doing everything possible to try and turn it around. No luck, I jumped in my car following the drone as far as I could see till I ran out of road. I thought I’d never se it again and then remembered the find my drone app. Upon using the app I did find my drone but unfortunately it went pass home point and crashed in the lake. Once the drone had traveled so far out it went into fail-safe return to home mode. I called DJI and they made it sound simple at first and told me to send it in for repair or replacement. Everything seemed to still workon the drone but it displayed a navigation error and would not let it take off. After a week of travel to California and a couple days of evaluation I got an invoice for 330 dollars the price of a new drone. I was pissed how could they not stand behind their product which malfunctioned in more than one area. I sent the telometry data and their telling me it was my fault it landed in the lake. I don’t see how t could be me fault cause when loooking at the data you can clearly get tell I was trying to turn it around and it continued to fly in a straight line. Once it got to far out it went into safe mode and return to home which I had no clue it was doing cause I had only a blank screen to look at and it had gotten out of visual range.
I’ve spent countless hours talking to technicians that don’t know what their talking about and have been given the run around for nearly a month now. I’ve even asked them to return my drone and all I can still get is an invoice for 330 dollars. If I’d known that DJI was so impossible to deal with I would of simply returned it to Best Buy cause they have a fifteen day return policy. Now it looks like I might be at total loss since I’ve been left in limbo for nearly a month.

I just bought mine yesterday, and when I fly it at night in my house I have noticed that this unstable one goes to the sides and I have 12 satellites, and then I fly in the same place by day and normal, I suppose it must be the magnetism, I hope DJI put more focus on the DJI Fly app that shows more revealing data, there is a lot of data from DJI GO 4 that does not show in DJI Fly, I regret your loss of money, I think that buying a drone or any object that has just come out is a bad idea , it is rare that DJI spent almost 1 year without drones and the only drone they take is failing too much.

Reactions: drw52jc
Okay, So from what you told me practically, this drone has Ryze Tello technology but with GPS and Gimball ... and Quickshots, Thanks for info , Likewise, I think that in future firmware they will correct these problems, the problem is that being a new product it is normal to have failures.

i don't know tello, sorry, but i observed this behavior on my mini, at the begining i thought the drone is defective, but after that i have read the manual and i understand that and i tested again with precaution, it is normal

i don't know tello, sorry, but i observed this behavior on my mini, at the begining i thought the drone is defective, but after that i have read the manual and i understand that and i tested again with precaution, it is normal

Okay, I think I should start there, because at least I have not read the manual I think before flying I should read it ... thanks for warning

Reactions: Thomas B and WooZie
you must have enough light for stability
Wish I had that figured out the first time I flew mine. Somehow I figured it'd be safer to fly indoors while I learned and I quickly found out that going from a well lit living room to a darkish stairway was not a transition that the Mini liked, lol. Luckily the props only got a little scuffed and that was it even though it tumbled down the stairs and bounced off the handrail. Suffice it to say, lesson learned and I got off easy.

this drone has Ryze Tello technology but with GPS and Gimball
Exactly. Same visual positioning system used on the Tello that is based on a video camera that requires light to function and do the stabilization.

DJI has been wrong before about pilot error, and sometimes reverses themselves after our experts look at the logs and determine its a flight control problem.

OP might not have sufficient data in his log if he lost AC connection so soon in the flight, although later he shows he did regain connection, otherwise Find My Drone would not have shown the correct location.

VPS with DJI is not exclusive to the Tello. That's been around at least as far back as Phantom 3. If anything, the Tello inherited the technology from Phantoms and Mavics. However it is limited on the altitude. GPS is used more when available, with VPS fine tuning the location when it can. Over water which is fluid, VPS can actually be a detriment.

Note that the Mini can take a while to acquire enough satellites for its FC to consider reliable enough. It will not set a home point until that happens. Therefore don't take off until it does. If you're impatient, then it may acquire sat and HP much later in flight and different location than you expected.

Heed the warning "take off with caution".

DJI has been wrong before about pilot error, and sometimes reverses themselves after our experts look at the logs and determine its a flight control problem.

OP might not have sufficient data in his log if he lost AC connection so soon in the flight, although later he shows he did regain connection, otherwise Find My Drone would not have shown the correct location.

VPS with DJI is not exclusive to the Tello. That's been around at least as far back as Phantom 3. If anything, the Tello inherited the technology from Phantoms and Mavics. However it is limited on the altitude. GPS is used more when available, with VPS fine tuning the location when it can. Over water which is fluid, VPS can actually be a detriment.

Note that the Mini can take a while to acquire enough satellites for its FC to consider reliable enough. It will not set a home point until that happens. Therefore don't take off until it does. If you're impatient, then it may acquire sat and HP much later in flight and different location than you expected.

Heed the warning "take off with caution".

Being honest this info has helped me a lot, I am already new in this world of professional drones and the truth is that I came from a Tello (which left me bad experiences)

I had my flight flight yesterday and I had to wait about 4 mins until I had enough satellites. Being a newbie I thought it would be near instant.

in theory for is GPS not? so that the drone is stable by that means and not using the VPS
GPS is not as precise as the VPS - even under best conditions you probably won't be below 0.5m GPS accuracy which means the drone can sway 1m easily whilst still being "on spot".
And this is independent from in- or outdoor, IMHO it just becomes more obvious indoors.

flight flight yesterday and I had to wait about 4 mins until I had enough satellites.
That's pretty normal for any GPS device on first startup at a new location, far away from the previous one. Shouldn't take that long the next time...

Reactions: Antaire
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS