DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini under 250g... US & Canada, where can I not fly?

Lv2fly2

Reactions
So, I don’t have to register the craft and I don’t have to be a certified drone pilot. What does that mean as to where I can and can’t fly, compared to someone who is certified with a registered craft?

it is only the registration and test that you are exempt from all other rules and airspace restrictions apply as with bigger drones

One big plus for the MM will be for people vacationing from another country. For example, in Canada you have to apply for a SFOC if you are not a resident, but with the MM since it is under the 250g threshold, I don’t think you will need a SFOC to fly it here.

Reactions: SkyDogII
For drones under 250g, transport Canada advises: “you must never put people or aircraft in danger. Always fly responsibly.”
I agree. Just because it’s under 250g doesn’t mean rules don’t apply. You still have to fly within VLOS and not around or over people, but because it’s under 250g you don’t need a pilot’s licence or have to register it. People vacationing in Canada, particularily our neighbours to the south will no longer have to get a SFOC if they are bringing their MM. There are many posts on PhantomPilots and SparkPilots and probably here too about the hassles of applying for a SFOC.

Chri

Reactions: Mavic 57
I agree. Just because it’s under 250g doesn’t mean rules don’t apply. You still have to fly within VLOS and not around or over people, but because it’s under 250g you don’t need a pilot’s licence or have to register it. People vacationing in Canada, particularily our neighbours to the south will no longer have to get a SFOC if they are bringing their MM. There are many posts on PhantomPilots and SparkPilots and probably here too about the hassles of applying for a SFOC.

Chri

Well all 250g and below drones it’s kinda impossible to brake the rules. With this mini it’s possible. Hence why I can see rules changing yet again. Sigh.

Well all 250g and below drones it’s kinda impossible to brake the rules. With this mini it’s possible. Hence why I can see rules changing yet again. Sigh.
Agreed. I have a Tello and in addition to the limitations in software, numerous other things limit it like wind, surface it is flying over and the phones WiFi even when boosted. With the MM it is more like a Spark but with better battery life. So I can see them changing the rules or adding an addendum to the rules to cover the Mini. Time will tell.

Chris

Reactions: dronepilotbob
Agreed. I have a Tello and in addition to the limitations in software, numerous other things limit it like wind, surface it is flying over and the phones WiFi even when boosted. With the MM it is more like a Spark but with better battery life. So I can see them changing the rules or adding an addendum to the rules to cover the Mini. Time will tell.

Chris

Agreed. One of the main reasons why I’m holding out. That and early adaptor thing never worked out for me :)

Bob

Reactions: Chrislaf
In Canada, the following rules still apply:

- Stay away from airports
- VLOS
- No drone zones are still no drone zones (i.e. National Parks)
- Do not fly in a manner that might endanger people or aircraft
- Do not fly in a negligent manner
- Do not violate privacy/private property
- Drugs and alcohol

The laws you don't need to worry about as much are:

- Registration / licencing
- The distance rules from people, vehicles, buildings, etc. do not apply beyond "don't be negligent and don't endanger anyone"

The negligence/endangerment clauses do leave room for interpretation by law enforcement, so fly responsibly regardless.

So basically you can fly the Mini in a lot of places you can't fly a larger drone (neighborhoods, back yards, municipal parks, etc.) so long as you aren't being an idiot about it.

In the U.S. as I understand it all the rules apply except registration with FAA. Remember that if any attachments are used your TO weight will exceed/reach 250gm and you’ll need to be registered and affix the number to the drone.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
Under 250 grams but if you add one of the DJI attachments it easily goes beyond 250 grams.... if something happened serious enough to be investigated would the operator be in weight violation?

Reactions: theDRONEranger
In the U.S. as I understand it all the rules apply except registration with FAA. Remember that if any attachments are used your TO weight will exceed/reach 250gm and you’ll need to be registered and affix the number to the drone.
Actually, if you are part 107 and flying as such, you must register this tiny drone as well. Only if you are flying as a recreational pilot, do you not have to register. Most of us are already registered anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Thomas B
In Canada, the following rules still apply:

- Stay away from airports
- VLOS
- No drone zones are still no drone zones (i.e. National Parks)
- Do not fly in a manner that might endanger people or aircraft
- Do not fly in a negligent manner
- Do not violate privacy/private property
- Drugs and alcohol

The laws you don't need to worry about as much are:

- Registration / licencing
- The distance rules from people, vehicles, buildings, etc. do not apply beyond "don't be negligent and don't endanger anyone"

The negligence/endangerment clauses do leave room for interpretation by law enforcement, so fly responsibly regardless.

So basically you can fly the Mini in a lot of places you can't fly a larger drone (neighborhoods, back yards, municipal parks, etc.) so long as you aren't being an idiot about it.
Great answer! Just what I wanted to know. Thanks for that! Are there any other countries besides US and Canada where this drone opens some doors to travelers wanting to enjoy the hobby while on vacation?

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Great answer! Just what I wanted to know. Thanks for that! Are there any other countries besides US and Canada where this drone opens some doors to travelers wanting to enjoy the hobby while on vacation?

Some European countries have little to no restrictions on drones under 250g, and some even under 500g (which opens the door for the Mavic Air as well). I certainly don't know all of them though :)

Some European countries have little to no restrictions on drones under 250g, and some even under 500g (which opens the door for the Mavic Air as well). I certainly don't know all of them though :)
Thanks for that. I intend on following the rules and flying responsibly. I’m just happy that I can fly a drone in Canada and the US without having to deal with
Thanks! I intend to fly responsibly, and it’s good to know that I can fly my Mavic Mini (for now) in the US and Canada without having to deal with bureaucracy.

The 249gr is obviously intended to make life more simple for people, especially when travelling, and presumably to minimize restrictions in Europe.

JtL

Well all 250g and below drones it’s kinda impossible to brake the rules. With this mini it’s possible. Hence why I can see rules changing yet again.
Not sure how this would make sense. How is it possible to brake the rules with a Mini and not any other drone under 250g? Also, you still need to obey _all_ rules/laws even if the drone is under 250g so breaking the rules/laws is not limited by weight anyway. As mentioned, the only difference (currently) is that you don't need to register the drone (not that it matters, the registration is obviously a farce anyway).

Reactions: Mavic 57
He means It's hard to break VLOS or distance/height rules with less capable
By the way, do rubber-band powered planes qualify as a UAS?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3