DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini v01.00.0500 update, sport mode max speed reduced?

ThorDar

Reactions
I don't really use sport mode but according to the original manual, sport mode max speed is 13 m/s or 46.8 kph. After the .0500 update, a quick test in sport mode maxed out at 35.7 kph or 9.9 m/s. Has anyone else noticed this? P-mode is still max 8 m/s.

1587988226742.png

I have not noticed. Sport mode always seemed slow in my opinion on the mini but never mattered enough to change my opinion on the aircraft.

Update remorse?
Not at all. I don't use sport mode so it doesn't matter to me but the subject came up in a Facebook group I'm a member of and it got me curious so I started digging into it. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else so that's why I'm asking here. It would make sense considering it seems several of ths issues people report seem to be related to using sport mode.

I've peaked at 12.7m/s on the latest firmware (0500) and app version (1.0.8), and gone above 10m/s multiple times while in S mode in the 2 flights I've managed to do since update. Certainly not noticed it going slower that pre-update.

I've peaked at 12.7m/s on the latest firmware (0500) and app version (1.0.8), and gone above 10m/s multiple times while in S mode in the 2 flights I've managed to do since update. Certainly not noticed it going slower that pre-update.

That's because it's not limiting pitch or speed - it's limiting motor speed. If you don't have prop problems then you are not going to see it.

Reactions: scro
@sar104 Makes sense. I haven't had any of the symptoms of the dreaded "uncommanded descent" issues yet so I think all my prop blades are "healthy" still.

@ThorDar An interesting test would be for you to try flying backwards in S mode and see what speeds you get. If your rear props are a bit deformed it might just go a bit faster than 9.9m/s?!

@ThorDar An interesting test would be for you to try flying backwards in S mode and see what speeds you get. If your rear props are a bit deformed it might just go a bit faster than 9.9m/s?!
I'm not sure it works like that. I'm thinking that if the rear props are not providing as much lift as they should, the front props would also be dialed down to match the rear ones. Otherwise, the drone would just topple backwards.

I'm not sure it works like that. I'm thinking that if the rear props are not providing as much lift as they should, the front props would also be dialled down to match the rear ones. Otherwise, the drone would just topple backwards.

No - this is an issue with the rear props, and so the rear motors end up needing to run much faster than the front motors to produce similar lift. It will work fine going backwards, since that involves dropping the rear motor speed and raising the front motor speed. You can see that in action here:

No - this is an issue with the rear props, and so the rear motors end up needing to run much faster than the front motors to produce similar lift. It will work fine going backwards, since that involves dropping the rear motor speed and raising the front motor speed. You can see that in action here:

ah, ok, so when running forward the rear props at max motor speed were not providing enough lift to keep the drone tilted. Makes sense.

@sar104 Just out of interest, have you noticed in your many flight log analyses if the trailing pair of motors typically do more work than the leading pair when the drone is moving (whether flying fwds, backwards, sideways)? I can understand that the trailing motors need to do more work initially to get the drone tilted in the direction of travel and accelerated, but after establishing the desired angle of tilt do they continue to take a higher share of the work or does it even out?

@sar104 Just out of interest, have you noticed in your many flight log analyses if the trailing pair of motors typically do more work than the leading pair when the drone is moving (whether flying fwds, backwards, sideways)? I can understand that the trailing motors need to do more work initially to get the drone tilted in the direction of travel and accelerated, but after establishing the desired angle of tilt do they continue to take a higher share of the work or does it even out?

As you can see from the graphs - they stay higher, presumably to combat the aerodynamic downforce that acts more towards the rear of the aircraft.

I stand corrected. I did another test flight today and was able to get up to 42.8 kph in sport mode. I misinterpreted the meaning of the line "Reached maximum speed of..." in the screengrab. It just means the maximum speed reached during that particular flight.

s-mode 42-8.JPG

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada