DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini vs Spark for experienced pilots

Bebopperoo

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi, i have just had my Spark stolen. I fly the MPP, MP2 zoom, spark, and parrot bebop 2 power.
I have several years of experience.
The spark is not available here at present. (SHORTAGE)
Please can experienced pilots advise whether i should replace it with the MM?
Weight is not an issue in my country, and my concern is the lack of power talked of in the mini. I don't need obstacle avoidance, or 30 min batteries, but want to know which is more fun to fly?
Also, any areas other than wind susceptibility where the mm is inferior to the spark?
Thanks

Hi, i have just had my Spark stolen. I fly the MPP, MP2 zoom, spark, and parrot bebop 2 power.
I have several years of experience.
The spark is not available here at present. (SHORTAGE)
Please can experienced pilots advise whether i should replace it with the MM?
Weight is not an issue in my country, and my concern is the lack of power talked of in the mini. I don't need obstacle avoidance, or 30 min batteries, but want to know which is more fun to fly?
Also, any areas other than wind susceptibility where the mm is inferior to the spark?
Thanks
unless you have a specific need for a small drone,then the MM is probably not really for you ,don't get me wrong it is very capable and flies well in certain conditions,there are not many auto flight features on the MM, so in that regard ,you will be unhappy if those features are what you use a lot of the time,
if you can wait and see if the firmware improves some of these issues then that would be my advice for what it's worth

Besides the wind and battery chemistry issues, I think the mini has some bugs, released far too soon before it was honed.
The lack of attitude when needed is particularly a concern I feel.
I've seen people lose connection at around 800m to a km in threads, when it's supposed to get 4km, and it might in open terrain.

Your country, is there terrain you'd fly over 3000m altitude ?
The mini is supposed to be ok to about that, the Spark goes 4000m.

The Spark is well established and a very capable aircraft.
I travel with mine over the M1P most times, although the Pro kit I have is so much more comprehensive.
The goggles work with both Pro and Spark too, don't think they work with mini (if that may interest you in future).

As you're probably aware, the Spark is very nimble and loads of fun to fly.
I guess the mini is too, both have almost identical speeds in P and Sports modes.

Maybe you can find a good 2nd hand Spark ?
Did you lose all your gear, controller, batteries and accessories, along with the drone ?

Good luck with finding a replacement, and may the thieves get their karma sometime soon.

Last edited:
Just to cut it short ...

:D If you're amused of thrills coming from risk of loosing your investment or damage thing's by going under powered in conditions similar to those the Spark could handle ... then the Mini is the right one for you.

If not ... then stay away for awhile until DJI get's things sorted.

The MM is definitely light and won't cope with wind in the same way as the Bebop 2 does, I simply take notice of the weather and the warnings that the Fly app presents me with(high wind speed and overtaxed engine warnings),and fly accordingly. The MM is fantastically portable and sure beats carrying my Bebop 2 about in its rucksack,and I haven't had a single issue with it so far. I think a lot of users expect more from it than it's design philosophy dictates. I've seen a lot of inexperienced pilots complaining about it's behaviour but whenever you read flight data,or see what they are doing on YouTube it's clear to me that they are ignoring warnings or panicking from lack of experience. It's a great highly portable drone with a superior camera to the Spark,just be mindful of it's lack of heft.

If you can’t get a Spark, how about a Mavic Air?
Avoid the Mini. In my opinion, DJI should have ignored the weight goal of 249g they seem to think is so important and stuck with the Spark.

Thanks for the excellent responses. Confirms the issue that the mm has no purpose in countries other than USA, and the spark was still more fun than the serious drones. Thanks also for reference to usability with goggles. 99 percent of my flights are fpv, and the goggles are essential equipment. When i point out to local sellers that weight means important parts left off, weaker engines, etc, just to try placate there faa, for batteries that cost more than the mpp, the mm make little sense to me.
My concern with the Mavic air, apart from the ridiculously high price, is it sounds like a swarm of bees attacking a screaming banshee, with short flight time. The mpp is still the favourite for just flying and looking.
Appreciate all input, thanks

Thanks for the excellent responses. Confirms the issue that the mm has no purpose in countries other than USA, and the spark was still more fun than the serious drones. Thanks also for reference to usability with goggles. 99 percent of my flights are fpv, and the goggles are essential equipment. When i point out to local sellers that weight means important parts left off, weaker engines, etc, just to try placate there faa, for batteries that cost more than the mpp, the mm make little sense to me.
My concern with the Mavic air, apart from the ridiculously high price, is it sounds like a swarm of bees attacking a screaming banshee, with short flight time. The mpp is still the favourite for just flying and looking.
Appreciate all input, thanks
It's a shame they didn't update the Spark with longer life batteries and a superior camera,the MM - as has been said already- was made to that all important weight,and suffers in some ways for it. Bet it's made DJI a lot of lovely cash though?

Hobbyking have the Spark in stock. I think they ship world wide.

What i notice, especially on a large screen or fpv, is that the sparks image is more appealing than the mpp and mp2. The colour just seems richer in raw form. On a side by side with the mm and the pros, i still thought the best raw image was the sparks, and 2.7k just means more memory used for non professionals like me.
My one like of the mm is it seems to be dji s quietest drone, a huge feature.
I managed to get a demo spark, so now I'm going to sit and regret not buying the mm, probably.

What i notice, especially on a large screen or fpv, is that the sparks image is more appealing than the mpp and mp2.

I read early on in my drone life that the Spark has better in dorne processing than the M1P, without processing . . . would suit a lot of hobby flyers just wanting to record some basic video / photos.

Hobbyking have the Spark in stock. I think they ship world wide.

This deal posted today is really good too, not sure if they ship outside USA though (or the OPs country, which I think wasn't mentioned ?).

Dji spark combo dji official refurb sale!
Refirb Spark with Flymore for US$349, pretty good deal.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I read early on in my drone life that the Spark has better in dorne processing than the M1P, without processing . . . would suit a lot of hobby flyers just wanting to record some basic video / photos.

This deal posted today is really good too, not sure if they ship outside USA though (or the OPs country, which I think wasn't mentioned ?).

Dji spark combo dji official refurb sale!
Refirb Spark with Flymore for US$349, pretty good deal.
Yeah, they do. I bought from them a few times and I'm in the UK. They have warehouses all over the place.

The spark is a beast. The best vlos flyer I love mine been flying her for two years now..

Yeah, they do. I bought from them a few times and I'm in the UK. They have warehouses all over the place.

DJI Drone Services in the US ?

Edit, oh you probably meant Hobby King, carry on.
I don't get a price come up when I found it online . . . Edit again, discontinued product !!

DJI Drone Services in the US ?

Edit, oh you probably meant Hobby King, carry on.
I don't get a price come up when I found it online . . . Edit again, discontinued product !!

Yep, hobbyking. Came up for me the other day £370. Must have sold out.

Yep, hobbyking. Came up for me the other day £370. Must have sold out.

= about $488.60 US, not sure what normal US base pricing is.
I had a quick look around, MANY places are saying discontinued or out of stock.

Is the mini just not being made now ?
Or possibly just put on a lower priority to newer drones ?

It could also have something to do with the chinese new year / coronavirus.

I have all three, the Mavic Air, the Spark and the Mini.

I can tell you I can't feel as confident flying the Mini as I feel flying the Spark or the Air.

I've never had a strong wind warning with the Spark or the Air. But with the Mini is a thing of every time I fly it. Remember , you can have a 5 mph wind at ground level but it could drastically change at 100 ft above. That's the main problem with the Mini. It is way underpowered. If you have a fly away and it showed the message Strong Wind on your screen forget about DJI replacing your lost drone.

This message appears on my screen at any time 95% of the flights.

Go with the Spark or if you have the resources, upgrade to the Air.

Reactions: Lastrexking

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa