DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini White Balance

Why is it getting warmer as you increase the K instead of cooler?

The higher the Kelvin number the warmer the shot.
The lower the Kelvin number the cooler the shot.

The chart in the video is the opposite way around showing which color is removed.
So as you increase the K value the less Blue there is in the shot, as you decrease the K value the less yellow there is in your shot.

Hope this helps.

The chart in the video is the opposite way around showing which color is removed.
So as you increase the K value the less Blue there is in the shot, as you decrease the K value the less yellow there is in your shot.

Hope this helps.
I think the confusing bit it that we think of blue=cold and red=hot, but for light sources it's the other way around: a warmer source emits more blue light than a cooler one. White-hot is hotter than red-hot, and it's white because it's emitting more blue photons. Anyway, all we have on the Mini is a slider that we can move around until it "looks better" so all the rest is academic. :p

Thanks for posting the video.

The other new feature with the update allows you to change what the MM does when there is a loss of signal. Previously it would initiate return to home. Now you have the option to return to home, hover or descend.

Reactions: sli-woody
Thanks for posting the video.

The other new feature with the update allows you to change what the MM does when there is a loss of signal. Previously it would initiate return to home. Now you have the option to return to home, hover or descend.

Yeah an awesome feature for when you are flying through trees or over hanging objects! I always fear my Mini losing signal and initiating a RTH and flying up into the branches.

Hope this helps.
Sli-woodie said it exactly right re white balance.

In aesthetic terms, "warmer" usually means more yellow which occurs at lower K and "cooler" means more blue which occurs at higher K. Just look at the labels of light bulbs.

If you apply a white balance at a higher K, then it will be treating light at higher K as white, while light coming in at a lower K will show up as yellowish.

Indoor light with incandescent lights as it has been traditionally in the past would appear too yellow if you used outdoor film or WB setting.
Conversely outdoor lighting which tends to be at a higher K will show bluish if you use indoor film or WB setting.

Great video! Thanks for taking the time to put it together

No problem at all, really glad you enjoyed.
It would be nice if DJi gave us some presets, but the slider is better than nothing I guess.
A lot of drone pilots (myself included) don't want to be faffing around adjusting white balance on every shot, so this video was just to show that if you find a good base level (that you are happy with) then the results should be pretty half decent and stops the annoy auto WB correction.
In post production you can always slightly adjust the temp without losing too much quality.
Happy flying everyone!

I think DJI produce Fantastic product, but I find it unbelievable that they offer white Balance on a sliding Kelvin scale when the Mavic Air and Pro have default Sunny, Cloudy... etc. I thought this was aimed at beginner.

Yeah a selection of Presets would make sense.
The mini is aimed at beginners and I sure most pilots don't want to be faffing around moving the slider up and down trying to set their white balance. In the video you see that I find a base level which covers most outdoor flying. I think this is the simplest way for many.

Thank you, very nicely done. Simple, quick, informative.

To fix this white skin effect, it's just a matter of exposure, try to shoot with -0.3EV or even more and the face will darken..

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121