DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini - why did it crash?

Robert Carney

Reactions
Finally got some data to send in and really hope someone will help me understand how this has happened! (Flyaway)

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-12-30_[15-35-04].txt
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
Finally got some data to send in and really hope someone will help me understand how this has happened! (Flyaway)
@Robert Carney , generally it's not a proper way to interfere in other members threads & mix in your own events if they not correlate to the discussed event ... Please start your own thread instead ... in that way it's much easier to follow & all info is about the discussed event.

You ran into a tree during the Auto land phase in the end of your commanded RTH.

You started your flight by zipping around the trees at approx 2 meter altitude, ascended later up to 30 meter followed by descending down to ground level ... from 2 meter altitude you then commanded RTH & it ascended up to your set RTH altitude of 30 meters and started to go home.

Just before your drone arrived to the landing spot you probably noticed the difficulties to descend though the trees & you made stick inputs to stop it (which you can't other then abort the RTH) The drone continued with it's auto land while you probably in panic made all kinds of stick inputs in all possible axis. At approx 25 meters altitude the drone hit the tree and starts to tumble (Yaw goes all over the chart). This is, sorry to say, nothing else then a pilot error not planning the flight properly, not understanding the effect of commanding RTH & not having enough knowledge about his equipment.

2020-01-12_11-08-06.jpg

The crash is also visualized directly in the AirData.com view for the Compass below

2020-01-12_11-09-51.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently I asked for help in the wrong place of this website and I apologize for the mistake. However I will not be able to learn anything with an immediate ban because of my mistake. I do appreciate the information given as to how to get my data and text files posted for analysis. I do not know how I was called an experienced pilot as I had never flown a drone prior to purchasing this mini. I flew it on three different occasions and on the last one it flew away and crashed into a tall tree and I have been unable to locate it since. The responses pointed out my lack of knowledge and I have indeed paid the price with the loss of my investment. The responses to my files submitted above show my home position way away from the actual start point. I lost it for all the reasons pointed out. However no one mentions that the home point is way away from where I was flying. It ascended as it was supposed to and went very fast heading to a Home point I did not set and was destroyed apparently. There was no wind on the ground for sure but I do not know if there was wind topside! Panic kills and of course I lost my drone with all the RTH movement done incorrectly. Why though would it just fly off to an arbitrary Home point as seen in the map above? It was a healthy normal flight for 20 minutes and when the battery warning appeared I hit RTH and then when it flew away I made a slew of mistakes. Again I apologize for being in the wrong place but I just wanted help!

I am saddened for your crash Robert. It's a hard way to learn something.

One has to be extremely aware of the status LED in the back of the Mini, it has a meaning. Also the APP announces if the homepoint has been set and has a pre-flight check notice in the upper part you should always look up before taking off.

I have to catch myself because I’m usually too excited to get up into the air that I’ll sometimes fly away before waiting for a good gps lock. That’s crucial.

I have to catch myself because I’m usually too excited to get up into the air that I’ll sometimes fly away before waiting for a good gps lock. That’s crucial.

Excellent advice, always run through a routine checklist before take-off.

Are my props on nice and tight?

Is my battery nice and snug?

Is my app up and running with all of the settings set properly?

How many GPS satellites do I have?

Are there any wind or compass warnings?

After take-off, do I get confirmation that my home point has been set?

After developing little habits like this you are more likely to avoid a crash or fly away.

Also, make sure you know how to cancel the return home command before initiating it.

Im very sorry about your loss Robert, but always remember that when flying a new drone for the first time, it's always best to use a large wide oper field.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54