DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC MINI WITH IPAD 7 TABLET

Minimavicdronefly

Reactions
Hi Everyone

I have just purchased a Mavic Mini - my first drone. I want to use it with a new iPad 7 (2019) tablet and am wondering if anyone out there is doing the same. I don't have the drone yet, but it appears on the app store list, but below is the message I got from DJI today Jan 3rd). Any advice about whether this is a good idea, and if so what tablet holder and cable I should get would be much appreciated. Any other considerations/concerns about using a tablet in preference to a smartphone? Thanks for your help and advice. John

"I understand where you are going but let me clarify that currently the DJI Fly app doesn't support any iPad and tablet devices and there is no plan on having it compatible with the application. For now, we suggest to use a mobile devices that is on the compatible list on our website":

Reactions: old man mavic
I have DJI Fly installed on my iPad Air (2019 model), but I haven’t actually tried flying with it. My intention was just to try to use it for video editing.

Thanks crystal-pete. Any thoughts about best tablet holder and cable required for the tablet? Thanks John

I use the inexpensive PGYTech Tablet holder - it works perfectly. Suggest getting a genuine Apple cable to connect the iPad to the bottom USB port on the DJI remote control device.

The app does work on the latest Ipads and Ipad Mini's, some of the earlier versions struggle with processing power and ram

As the app is not optimised for the ipad it's not full screen, on the Ipad mini 4 there is a 2cm border on the left, right and bottom borders

Many thanks for that. But, apart from the Borders issue, does the DJI Fly app run OK on the latest iPads?

Yes, it runs perfectly , I have a 5th gen Ipad 2017 (10.7in) and an Ipad Mini 4, DJI Fly works on both of these older units without a hiccup
I prefer the Ipad Mini 8in size as it fits within the jaws of the remote controller without having additional mounts which just get in the way and cumbersome to carry

You might have problems if have a under powered device, then the screen image might lag, break up and freeze etc, but this is true for iphones and android devices as well
I've read it runs on Ipad Mini 2's and early Iphone's like the 6 but I haven't had personal experience with these

the reason for the reply from DJI is simply that they designed the MM to be super portable,and their thinking behind it is, that most people will just use the phone they have on them to fly it with,thats ok if you have good eyesight, but for someone like myself i need the bigger screen that a tablet allows ,and i use the same 9.7 ipad that i use for my MPP,the screen size in 16.9 and using the x2 arrow at the bottom gives a great picture and is around the same size as an 8 inch tablet would be

Reactions: dirkclod
I use the inexpensive PGYTech Tablet holder - it works perfectly. Suggest getting a genuine Apple cable to connect the iPad to the bottom USB port on the DJI remote control device.

The Mini doesn’t have a USB port on the bottom of the controller, only the micro USB on the side. ;)

the reason for the reply from DJI is simply that they designed the MM to be super portable,and their thinking behind it is, that most people will just use the phone they have on them to fly it with,thats ok if you have good eyesight, but for someone like myself i need the bigger screen that a tablet allows ,and i use the same 9.7 ipad that i use for my MPP,the screen size in 16.9 and using the x2 arrow at the bottom gives a great picture and is around the same size as an 8 inch tablet would be
Yes, ageing eyesight was a consideration in choosing an iPad - as was the potential to miss that tree right in the corner of a small smartphone screen!

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69