DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Yx Parallel Charger (UPDATED)

rangemaster728

Reactions
Mavic Mini Yx parallel charger

I recently purchased the Yx parallel charger for the Mavic Mini and did some limited testing; I have other Yx chargers for my Sparks, M1P and M2E birds and they have worked well so I thought I’d give this one a try.

$39.99USD, Amazon Prime; arrived in two days.
Helistar Battery Charger Compatible with DJI Mavic Mini 6 in 1 Smart Battery Charger Hub with Safety Cover 4 Batteries and 2 USB Ports Amazon.com: Helistar Battery Charger Compatible with DJI Mavic Mini 6 in 1 Smart Battery Charger Hub with Safety Cover 4 Batteries and 2 USB Ports: Toys & Games

The set consists of the charger (white plastic with four small feet), the power cable (2-wire, ungrounded), four plug-in cables (coaxial on one end, Mavic Mini battery connector on the other) and an instruction sheet in English and Chinese.

The bottom of the charger is vented; it appears there is no internal cooling fan but initial tests indicate it’s not needed.

The body of the charger measures 4.5”L x 4.5”W x 1.25”H including the feet.

ae6ed7ba6f23d04a04ef48dbbe2955ff.jpg
dd3addf61c2ed3fbcd662740f39d931c.jpg
325576ab64778b185c8a0644ddabaec3.jpg

I especially liked this phrase...”The company shall not be liable for any damages caused by the users’ improper use (such a short circuit, overheat, entry of foreign bodies or improper touch on the terminals by hands or mental etc.).”

Ok, noted...no bending of terminals by psychokinesis (lol); I do like the fact that the battery connectors have captive covers to protect the terminals when you’re not charging batteries.
820488d581f069ab44c9da979e7c9c3a.jpg

The connectors seem to mate well with the batteries with no indication of stressing/bending the pins.

I tested the unit with 3 batteries (I don’t have 4); those batteries started at approximately 20%, 25% and 30% charge respectively and those batteries reached full charge at 53, 65 and 71 minutes elapsed time.

Ambient temperature for the test was 65°F ; the charger and batteries were placed on a ceramic plate for the test to insure clearance below the charger and were monitored by my Part 107 ground crew/Visual Observer, cleverly disguised as a Persian cat.

e9a09385a48400ef3948850bb80d6e72.jpg

Thermal measurements (using peak hold on IR gun):
Initial temp of charger 65°F/Initial temp of batteries 58°F.

(All temperatures below are peak measurements in Fahrenheit)

After 10 minutes:
Charger top 80 top/88 bottom
Batteries 60

20 min:
90 top/106 bottom
Batt 65

30 mins:
95 top/113 bottom
Batts 65

40 mins:
115 top/120 bottom
Batts 67

50 mins:
109 top/114 bottom
Batts 67

(One batt fully charged at 53 min)

60 mins:
101 top/111 bottom
Batts 67

(Second batt fully charged at 65 mins)

70 min:
97 top/103 bottom
Batts 66

(Third batt fully charged at 71 mins)

80 mins (now all batteries charged, cooling down):
89 top/93 bottom
Batts 65

90 mins:
68 top/ 78 bottom

This unit advertises about 80 minutes to charge 4 batteries, so that claim is plausible.

I have not had a chance to test the USB output yet, as I’m discharging the Mini batteries down to about 10% to re-run the test and add two USB loads, measuring the USB current output with my tester and continue the thermal tests.

At no time were there any unusual smells, smoke or any indication the charger was malfunctioning; charger temperature never exceeded 120°F (49°C).

This looks good so far but I’ll do additional testing. As always, never leave charging batteries unattended.

Last edited:
I have the similar brand and setup for my MA and it has worked well for me for over a year, with similar results. I had been considering buying this one for my MM. Your testing was the final nudge I needed. Thank you. Enjoy your flying.

It seems like on Amazon the prices vary from about $30 to about $50 for what appears to be the same charger. Anyone knows if indeed it is the same charger?

Without a detailed teardown that might be hard to determine in some cases.

A lot of knockoff products out there as you know... I ordered mine through Amazon Prime because it had a quick delivery, and if there’s any problems it’s an easy return/refund.

@rangemaster728 ... excellent info/review. Thx for posting.
Mavic Mini Yx parallel charger

I recently purchased the Yx parallel charger for the Mavic Mini and did some limited testing; I have other Yx chargers for my Sparks, M1P and M2E birds and they have worked well so I thought I’d give this one a try.

$39.99USD, Amazon Prime; arrived in two days.
Helistar Battery Charger Compatible with DJI Mavic Mini 6 in 1 Smart Battery Charger Hub with Safety Cover 4 Batteries and 2 USB Ports Amazon.com: Helistar Battery Charger Compatible with DJI Mavic Mini 6 in 1 Smart Battery Charger Hub with Safety Cover 4 Batteries and 2 USB Ports: Toys & Games

The set consists of the charger (white plastic with four small feet), the power cable (2-wire, ungrounded), four plug-in cables (coaxial on one end, Mavic Mini battery connector on the other) and an instruction sheet in English and Chinese.

The bottom of the charger is vented; it appears there is no internal cooling fan but initial tests indicate it’s not needed.

The body of the charger measures 4.5”L x 4.5”W x 1.25”H including the feet.

ae6ed7ba6f23d04a04ef48dbbe2955ff.jpg
dd3addf61c2ed3fbcd662740f39d931c.jpg
325576ab64778b185c8a0644ddabaec3.jpg

I especially liked this phrase...”The company shall not be liable for any damages caused by the users’ improper use (such a short circuit, overheat, entry of foreign bodies or improper touch on the terminals by hands or mental etc.).”

Ok, noted...no bending of terminals by psychokinesis (lol); I do like the fact that the battery connectors have captive covers to protect the terminals when you’re not charging batteries.
820488d581f069ab44c9da979e7c9c3a.jpg

The connectors seem to mate well with the batteries with no indication of stressing/bending the pins.

I tested the unit with 3 batteries (I don’t have 4); those batteries started at approximately 20%, 25% and 30% charge respectively and those batteries reached full charge at 53, 65 and 71 minutes elapsed time.

Ambient temperature for the test was 65°F ; the charger and batteries were placed on a ceramic plate for the test to insure clearance below the charger and were monitored by my Part 107 ground crew/Visual Observer, cleverly disguised as a Persian cat.

e9a09385a48400ef3948850bb80d6e72.jpg

Thermal measurements (using peak hold on IR gun):
Initial temp of charger 65°F/Initial temp of batteries 58°F.

(All temperatures below are peak measurements in Fahrenheit)

After 10 minutes:
Charger top 80 top/88 bottom
Batteries 60

20 min:
90 top/106 bottom
Batt 65

30 mins:
95 top/113 bottom
Batts 65

40 mins:
115 top/120 bottom
Batts 67

50 mins:
109 top/114 bottom
Batts 67

(One batt fully charged at 53 min)

60 mins:
101 top/111 bottom
Batts 67

(Second batt fully charged at 65 mins)

70 min:
97 top/103 bottom
Batts 66

(Third batt fully charged at 71 mins)

80 mins (now all batteries charged, cooling down):
89 top/93 bottom
Batts 65

90 mins:
68 top/ 78 bottom

This unit advertises about 80 minutes to charge 4 batteries, so that claim is plausible.

I have not had a chance to test the USB output yet, as I’m discharging the Mini batteries down to about 10% to re-run the test and add two USB loads, measuring the USB current output with my tester and continue the thermal tests.

At no time were there any unusual smells, smoke or any indication the charger was malfunctioning; charger temperature never exceeded 120°F (49°C).

This looks good so far but I’ll do additional testing. As always, never leave charging batteries unattended.

Great information. Very detailed.

UPDATE: I ran a second test, this time with batteries down to 10% +2 USB loads.

Yx Mavic Mini charger test 1/19/2020

Test loads:
3 Mavic Mini Batteries, all depleted to 10% using the charging hub as battery bank.
Ipad Air 2, 65% charge running all radios (BT, Wifi, Cellular and GPS) and playing media.
iPhone 6, 20% charge

Initial measured USB loads when powered by charger:
iPad 2.2A
iPhone .6A

This is fairly consistent with the manufacturer claim of the USB ports having the ability supply a total of 3A.

Test room ambient temperature 65°F; charger and batteries placed on a flat ceramic plate to ensure adequate airflow beneath the vents.

Temps (charger top/bottom/batteries; all in Fahrenheit, peak hold on IR gun):
0 time 65/65/64
10 mins 80/93/65
20 mins 93/112/67
30 mins 112/130/72
40 mins 121/138/72
50 mins 129/150/72
60 mins 135/154/72
70 mins 130/135/72

80 mins 113/125/68 (in cool down due to all Mini batteries now charged, iPad and iPhone still charging).

Charging times:
1 battery reached full charge at 68 mins.
2nd battery fully charged at 71 mins.
3rd battery fully charged at 76 mins.

Due to the high(er) temperatures experienced in this test I have sent an inquiry to the manufacturer/distributor to see if these readings are within specification.

I’ll let the group know when/if I get an answer.

Depending on the materials they used and tolerances these figures could be typical and normal but I want to verify this data. As noted in the first test, no smoke or odors coming from the charger.
———————
Just as a reference, here is the difference between first, second and third-degree burns:

1st degree burn can occur at 118°F.
2nd degree burn can occur at 131°F.
3rd degree burn (destruction of human skin) occurs at 162°F.

Fly safe!
Gregg

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed data. On the Yx parallel charger that I use for my Mavic Air, I have found charging four batteries (3 cell) will generate heat from the charger. I was concerned at first, but after multiple uses over a year, I am satisfied that it is not overheating. I also stand mine on end to ensure good ventilation through the "vent" slots. While I have not measured with an IR, I find it helps. Of course, a fan would be nice. Rarely do I use the USB, as I have faster charging options. A note here: For safety, I encourage folks to always monitor li-po battery charging, regardless of charger.
BTW: Based on your post, and my experience with this product, I ordered another for the MM and it should arrive Tuesday. I expect similar results. Thanks again. Enjoy your flying.

I just received a reply from the distributor, who is preparing to be closed for Chinese New Year (imagine that)...my inquiry:

I recently purchased a Mavic Mini 6-in-1 charger from you (brand labeled Yx).
In testing this unit I charged 3 (I do not have 4) Mavic Mini batteries, plus an iPad and an iPhone simultaneously.

The charger was placed on a flat ceramic plate for this test to insure no obstruction of the bottom vents.
All batteries, iPad and iPhone were in good electrical and mechanical condition prior to the test, and ambient temperature in the test room was 65°F(18°C). All drone batteries were at 10% at the start of the test; the remote and iPhone were at 25% charge at the start of the test.

In performing heat measurements every 10 minutes of the charge cycle I saw (at 60 minutes from the start of the test) peak readings from an IR heat gun of 135F on the top of the charger and 154F on the bottom (58C and 68C).

These max surface temperatures seem excessive...what are the normal charger surface temperatures per the manufacturer’s specification?

And their prompt reply:

Thank you very much for your feed back for the Mavic mini charger.
I am so glad to got this message from a professional gentleman like yourself.
Happy Chinese new year. Just now is our holiday in China now.
The surface temperatures up to 70C is safe for this charger, please noted with thanks.
Hope you have a nice day.
Best regards,
Kitty

Wow... 70°C (158°F) max temperature. Note to self:
a9496dd634bebf33d5b1580b61593a51.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: halifax
I have the similar brand and setup for my MA and it has worked well for me for over a year, with similar results. I had been considering buying this one for my MM. Your testing was the final nudge I needed. Thank you. Enjoy your flying.
Just read your data on Yx charger. Question, will it work with Mini 2 batteries?

The company shall not be liable for any damages caused by the users’ improper use (such a short circuit, overheat, entry of foreign bodies or improper touch on the terminals by hands or mental etc.
I am pretty sure that is/was wrote mental instead of metal, due to the mental problem of the human who wrote that text, a known problem of attention and ability to keep a stupid automatic corrector 100% hold off.

Can this charger discharge also? I am coming from the RC world and every charger I have can do controlled discharges. Is there something similar for the Mavic Mini batteries?

Can this charger discharge also? I am coming from the RC world and every charger I have can do controlled discharges. Is there something similar for the Mavic Mini batteries?
No. I am also used to smart chargers with balance, discharge, storage, etc. All this "dont worry I'll do it for you" stuff and judging LiPo voltage by blinky lights {what?) is alien to me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo