DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic obstacle avoidance during flight a few times.. Nothing around?

Kmccb

Reactions
I was flying in my neighborhood last night and around 3 times I got an alert from the obstacle avoidance I think 3 or 4 times.. I was around 250' and there was nothing in sight none of the times it went off?

Anyone ever see this? It made me nervous so I brought it back home.. Looked at the sensors and they looked clear / clean.. I was hoping that flight log would show when it happened so I can line it up with the video and see if I can see anything but unfortunately it doesn't show that..

When you say "last night" do you literally mean after dark?

Reactions: charliesRig
When you say "last night" do you literally mean after dark?

Sorry.. No, it wasn't dark.. It was about 8:45 EST but still light.. Wasn't black out but the sun was going down.. Could that be it?

Thanks for the reply..

It could be, I've gotten alerts when flying right before the sunset. Seems to me like the angle of the light hitting the sensor may have something to do with it?

I think the sensors suffer from refraction artfacts rather like the lens and it assumes there's an object.
Better turned off anyway if you don't expect to be near any objects.
You can still have the radar and warning beep turned on without automatic braking.
With OA turned on speed is reduced and it can be more affected by wind.

Yeah I got this too, facing the sun at sunset. Like 4wd said, I think it has to do with incorrect interpretation from the collision avoidance sensors.

Yes, you are all correct. It is the sun being interpreted by the Mavic as an 'obstacle'. That's one of the reasons I have turned off the 'climb to avoid obstacle' feature anytime I fly within an hour of sunrise or sunset. The MP is fantastic but I doubt it can fly high enough to clear the sun....

Thanks fellas.. Glad to read it happened to others.. This was the first time I flew this late so makes sense that's what it was..

Hey guys this also happen to me when my mavic was new. There is a fix, or at least it worked for me. Recalibrate your vision position system. Haven't hand any problems since. Hope this helps.

It's a Picture of the sun.
I had taken from my other drone.
Looking through My files
thought I would share.
Optics of the low grade camera when looking at the sun turned the Sun black
Mavic Setting sun avoidance sensors Off 7-13-17
Mavic setting sun 7-13-17.jpg

Sorry.. No, it wasn't dark.. It was about 8:45 EST but still light.. Wasn't black out but the sun was going down.. Could that be it?

Thanks for the reply..
Yep, had it happen myself when facing the setting sun.

I've been in Costa Rica for the past week and almost every time I fly the obstacle avoidance comes on and the drone stops. It's a little unnerving at altitude over a beach... There is generally a high level of sun out when this happens so it might be what you all are talking about.
I'm going to recalibrate the vision position system today to see if that helps(thanks Mavic Magic). Will keep you posted as to whether that worked.
Thanks for the thread!
Chris

Thanks for the reply..
I was freaking out last night trying to get some footage and my alarm started going off with it about 2k ft away from me...

It is quite unnerving when this happens at first especially as it often happens when it is 'returning to home' which usually means facing the sun.

The cure is obviously to switch off your obstacle sensors and perhaps the quickest and easiest way to do this is to switch to 'sport' mode.

It's for the best - you would not want your expensive drone to crash into the sun ...
Especially during the day.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters