DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic OK with ipad mini 4?

CraigVMN

Reactions
I really like what Mavic has to offer, but before I invest in an iPad mini, will a gen 4 be adequate for use with Mavic, or do I want a later generation?

There have been some discussions about a mini 5 being the baseline recommended.
I just purchased a Mini-6

Reactions: SethB
Mini 4 is borderline, you can’t cache imagery while flying, you can’t record your screen… and it will probably get worse with future software updates.

After trying an iPad Mini 4, I’ve been happy with the basic Mini 5.

Edit:
My comments above are about running DJI Fly on ipads. I see people are doing fine with DJI GO4 on iPad Mini 4.

Last edited:
I fly an Air 2 - DJI Fly App. The common thread thread with the "Hi CPU" requirements is the Fly App vs the Go4 app.

Lots of reports about the Mimi 5 being fine with the DJI Fly App.

The Mini 6 was an eye towards futureproofing.

I really like what Mavic has to offer, but before I invest in an iPad mini, will a gen 4 be adequate for use with Mavic, or do I want a later generation?
My Gen4 Mini works well with my Mavic Pro, but not with the Mini2. It just does not have the computing power needed. I also found that my iPhone 6Max was inadequate with the Mini2, so I upgraded to a refurbed XMax and that works well with the Mini2. I'm contemplating getting a Gen5 ipad mini, but may save a bit more for the Gen 6 ipad mini.

I do have a 12.9 ipad pro that works very well, but it is very heavy and awkward to fly with.

I sure wish Apple made something with a brighter screen!!!

J'aime vraiment ce que Mavic a à offrir, mais avant d'investir dans un iPad mini, une génération 4 sera-t-elle adéquate pour une utilisation avec Mavic, ou est-ce que je veux une génération ultérieure ?
BSR
a priori oui, j ai acheté un IPAD MINI5 d'occasion avec un DJI AIR 2S , c'est nickel

I ran into the CPU problem yesterday with my MA2. Originally started with my iPhone 12 Max Pro (A14 Bionic Proc.) worked great but my aging eyes did not agree. Next I tried my 1st Gen iPad Pro (A9X Proc.) with a LifThor Baldur 2 for DJI Air2-Mini2-Mavic3 mount. No problems there but even with the mount the controller was a bit unbalanced. Being a new pilot I wanted to practice with something more comfy. I decided to go with the iPad Mini Gen 4 (A8 Proc.). You can pick them up refurbished for around $200 from Newegg, Gazelle, etc but don't, at least for MA2s. Kept getting CPU overload warnings and reduced performance as the app warned. When I pressed the RTH the drone appeared to be returning fine but ended up landing 10' from my landing pad so there are issues. I returned the Mini 4 to Newegg (no problems). I ended up getting a refurbished iPad Mini Gen 5 (A12 Bionic Proc.) from Gazelle for $300. I'll update you when I try it out. Considering the A9X processor in the iPad Pro worked fine the higher Gen 5 Mini with the A12 processor will be fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu