DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic on an international flight. Actual "FACTS" thread.

WilliamG

Reactions
So, I've been reading about people asking questions on how to bring their Mavic on flights.

I've read just about everything I could find, like put the drone in checked luggage, but carry on the batteries. Make sure to drain the batteries to 30%, and be sure to put terminal covers on, and put them in Li-Po bags.

So, given there's SO much information going around, I'd like some actual FACTS.

For example, nowhere have I found on any airline (that I've looked at) tells me to drain the battery X amount. I don't have to do that on my huge iPad Pro or on my huge laptop, so why would it be necessary on a drone?

For example, nowhere have I found on any airline page does it tell me to put battery terminal covers on, or put the batteries in Li-Po bags. Again, I don't need to do that with my laptop battery, so again - where are the FACTS?

So, this thread is NOT for people to tell me what they think or suggest, but rather to provide actual FACTS (citing PRIMARY sources - not drone-enthusiast sites - which are SECONDARY sources).

FYI, I'm traveling to England at the end of the month onNorwegian Airlines. I've found precisely ZERO information about bringing my drone in my hand luggage with all batteries, charged or otherwise, in Li-Po bags or otherwise. So I intend to just bring my drone and not worry about it unless anyone can provide me with some "real" information to the contrary!

I flew a couple time from the US to Europe, Mavic with battery as a carry-on, 2 spare batteries (each in its own case) in checked in baggage. Has not been an issue for AA, BA, Air Berlin, United... it never even came up during security checks.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamG
Fact - You cannot check batteries so all the batteries you bring have to be in your carry-on which may have weight limits.
Fact - Luggage gets "lost" all the time so you do not want to check any valuable electronics. (You can but most airlines w - arn you against the practice so if your luggage arrives missing the Mavic you will be SOL from a claim standpoint.)
Fact - You're not allowed to carry on "Items with a sharp point or edge". I don't know if the props would be considered as such but you might want to stuff a spare set in your checked baggage.
Fact - Your biggest issue may be a carry on weight restriction once you get all the stuff you want to bring loaded up. I think Norwegian's at about 22lbs for the kind of tickets I can afford. Others, like EVA going to Asia, are even less.

Reactions: WilliamG
Don't search for drones on a plane, its not relevant.
Search batteries on a plane and you will find all the info you are looking for.
First one in google search
Travel Tips Tuesday: Safely Packing Batteries for Your Trip

Good link, thanks. Also, the TSA are SO wishy-washy about this stuff... for example (from that link, - bold is mine).
  • If you’re traveling with spare batteries in addition to the ones inside your devices, consider placing each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Isolating terminals prevents hazards due to short-circuiting.
Consider? CONSIDER? Fine, I considered it, and decided not to. Jeez, TSA. Either tell us to DO something or NOT TO DO something.

So ok, - we don't HAVE to use Li-Po cases, plastic bags, packages or put tape across the battery contacts. That's a FACT according to the TSA.

Good link, thanks. Also, the TSA are SO wishy-washy about this stuff... for example (from that link, - bold is mine).
  • If you’re traveling with spare batteries in addition to the ones inside your devices, consider placing each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Isolating terminals prevents hazards due to short-circuiting.
Consider? CONSIDER? Fine, I considered it, and decided not to. Jeez, TSA. Either tell us to DO something or NOT TO DO something.

So ok, - we don't HAVE to use Li-Po cases, plastic bags, packages or put tape across the battery contacts. That's a FACT according to the TSA.
Take the info is entirely up to you.
You asked for the info and it's there on this Secondry info site

Edit
I apologise for my reply sounding rude, not intentional.
As you say TAS is a bit wishy washy but imagin how big the info page would be if they tried to cover every battery, its size, its use, its chemistry.
I could quote you 50 plus pages regarding batteries and the transporting and packaging.
The bottom line is we all want to get through airport security as quick as possible without causing a problem over a battery.
By following TAS guidelines and being able to quote them or print off and keep with the batteries, any over zealous or uninformed exray handler will see that you are taking batteries safely onto a passenger aircraft.
This is a small thing to do to ensure you get to your destination with your batteries.
As far as lipo bags go this is best practice for any lipo.
Also consider sharp objects (they are more concerned with sharps than a drone) just remove the props and put them into you hold luggage. I would not fly after a long journey without checking that they were not fitted properly, so no biggie.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580