DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic out of focus on left side of screen

Is strange as mine was fine up to a short while ago and started to be like that.
Just took as it had to do with one of the updates . And sebastian is right there are several threads on it.
Welcome to the forum .

Reactions: sebastian.bilbao
It is common and you could try and downgrade your firmware if you wanted to see if a firmware upgrade induced that out of focus imaging. Was the same issue present before upgrading firmware. Well, I guess the first question really is. Have you upgraded your firmware since receiving the Mavic Pro:?

Have never tried resetting the camera 4wd but am now and yes it does make it better with mine
to tap towards it but really like just to hit back button as I have them set for center focus for me.
Not sure bout OP as he asked and hasn't been back . 0ROJYyg.png

Have never tried resetting the camera 4wd but am now and yes it does make it better with mine
to tap towards it but really like just to hit back button as I have them set for center focus for me.
Not sure bout OP as he asked and hasn't been back . View attachment 29294
I will try and focusing on the left side. I'm not sure exactly when the focus problem occurred, I just happen to notice it one day. I am going to go back and look at some original video from purchase (may 2017) and work forward to see of there is a correlation between an software upgrade. The only other thing I can think of is I forgot to take the gimbal lock off when i fired it up. I had to re-calibrate the gimbal after that occurrence.
Thanks!

It is common and you could try and downgrade your firmware if you wanted to see if a firmware upgrade induced that out of focus imaging. Was the same issue present before upgrading firmware. Well, I guess the first question really is. Have you upgraded your firmware since receiving the Mavic Pro:?
I have upgraded a couple times since the focus problem started

I will try and focusing on the left side. I'm not sure exactly when the focus problem occurred, I just happen to notice it one day. I am going to go back and look at some original video from purchase (may 2017) and work forward to see of there is a correlation between an software upgrade. The only other thing I can think of is I forgot to take the gimbal lock off when i fired it up. I had to re-calibrate the gimbal after that occurrence.
Thanks!

That does stress the gimbal motors , but many people have done the same by accident without lasting ill effects. From my understanding on newer versions of firmware the Mavic was able to determine gimbal overload (present an onscreen message) and reduce power being sent to the gimbal motors during initial start up. Like an electronic clutch that disengages so damage does not occur.

That does stress the gimbal motors , but many people have done the same by accident without lasting ill effects. From my understanding on newer versions of firmware the Mavic was able to determine gimbal overload (present an onscreen message) and reduce power being sent to the gimbal motors during initial start up. Like an electronic clutch that disengages so damage does not occur.
I did get an on-screen message on the gimbal overload. I went back and looked at some video from last June and it seems there was a bit of focus issue if I look closely, but nothing like the current state. I am going to try the latest upgrade and if that doesn't do it I guess back to China it goes. Hoping that is not the case. Thanks everyone for the input!

I am not sure if this thread is still active. Sadly my Mavic Pro also suddenly had this problem between flights after a battery change only. The focus is out on the right-hand side (in my case) for photos and videos. I have uploaded new firmware since then but there is no correction. As you can see from my bench test, my case is rather bad. Drone is 14 months old.
1-DJI_0253-001.JPG1-DJI_0253-001.JPG.

I am not sure if this thread is still active. Sadly my Mavic Pro also suddenly had this problem between flights after a battery change only. The focus is out on the right-hand side (in my case) for photos and videos. I have uploaded new firmware since then but there is no correction. As you can see from my bench test, my case is rather bad. Drone is 14 months old.
View attachment 51003View attachment 51003.

That's not a firmware issue - that looks like a camera with one or more lens elements not parallel with the sensor. I also doubt that it's repairable.

Reactions: Adriaan Bal
Welcome to the forum and try a search on this as there are lots of threads on it . If resetting didn't do it
here's one thread . @Thunderdrones might know of a trick or it's like sar said .
100% fix for the "Right side blurry" issue... Here's what one did .

So you can replace the lens barrel?

Yes it can be replaced, but it's not easy. I have done hundreds of them, but not without a handful of failures. If an owner wants to try it they need to be very careful for a few reasons:

1. The camera barrel is secured by 4 screws, 2 screws that secure the camera barrel bottom cover and protect the LVDS silver stranded cable cable coming out of the barrel. There are also 2 screws on the sides of the camera barrel securing it to the gimbal roll motor.
  2. The first 2 screws that hold the motor cover on are easy to get out. The 2 screws on the sides of the camera barrel strip very easily, because they are loctited in! Even if you use the correct Phillips PH00 driver, the screws easily strip, then the screw will round, and then you will have to dremel it out.
  3. Dremeling it out could easily destroy the delicate LVDS cable, then that will be a whole new project that will require complete disassembly of the gimbal and installing a new LVDS silver stranded cable.
  4. If all 4 screws were removed successfully, then the camera barrel needs to be pryed off the motor assembly bearing in mind that the LVDS cable is still attached.
Long story short, if an owner has the right tools to do it, has the skills and patience, and knows the risks, it can be done. Also, many owners like to tinker, so this project is a minor one and you dont have to open up the drone and void your warranty do do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
@dirkclod thank you for mentioning me

@Adriaan Bal This is repairable. Where are you located?

Thanks for the reply. I am in Malaysia now. I have a friend visiting Houston for the next 2 weeks. And I will move to Australia in 6 weeks time. I am hoping for a fox before Xmas. Researching, it now looks as if I need to replace the camera barrel.

Last edited:
?
Yes it can be replaced, but it's not easy. I have done hundreds of them, but not without a handful of failures. If an owner wants to try it they need to be very careful for a few reasons:

1. The camera barrel is secured by 4 screws, 2 screws that secure the camera barrel bottom cover and protect the LVDS silver stranded cable cable coming out of the barrel. There are also 2 screws on the sides of the camera barrel securing it to the gimbal roll motor.
  2. The first 2 screws that hold the motor cover on are easy to get out. The 2 screws on the sides of the camera barrel strip very easily, because they are loctited in! Even if you use the correct Phillips PH00 driver, the screws easily strip, then the screw will round, and then you will have to dremel it out.
  3. Dremeling it out could easily destroy the delicate LVDS cable, then that will be a whole new project that will require complete disassembly of the gimbal and installing a new LVDS silver stranded cable.
  4. If all 4 screws were removed successfully, then the camera barrel needs to be pryed off the motor assembly bearing in mind that the LVDS cable is still attached.
Long story short, if an owner has the right tools to do it, has the skills and patience, and knows the risks, it can be done. Also, many owners like to tinker, so this project is a minor one and you dont have to open up the drone and void your warranty do do it.

Thanks, for the detailed response Thunderdrones. Indeed I have now seen a couple vids on the operation. I keen to have a go at it. Do you have any barrels for sale? I see they are said to be cheap ($12-15) if so I will buy two in case one still has a problem. I have a friend in Houston right now for 2 weeks. Could you send it to him ASAP? Thanks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N