DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pause when landing with left stick

waxings

Reactions
I am coming from a phantom 4. With the Mavic, when I land & bring the left stick down, the drone will pause a few feet above the ground. I have to hold the left stick down and it is as if it auto lands from that point. I don't seem to have much control once that happens? I think the VPS below the Mavic is causing this.

This is fine if I'm in an open area but if I want to do a precise landing, on a small area, this might be difficult.

Is there a way to change this?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

This is part of the VPS system on the Mavic. You have to keep the stick down so the Mavic knows you are trying to land or use the auto land feature for faster landings.

The only way to turn this off would be to turn off the visual sensors (all of them) and you would loose all obstacle avoidance etc. Not a great idea if you are flying with lots of things in close proximity.

Cheers

So if I'm trying to land on a hard case, and it is windy out, I have to get where I think I'm above the case and hope the Mavic will land on the small landing area. This might also be an issue if you were on a boat and it was windy out.

Am I over thinking this?

I believe there is a setting I came across on mine to disable that whole auto land. I'll look for it cause it is annoying for sure

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Sometimes you need to be able to land real quick like and that whole delay/confirm could actually cause a problem imo

So if I'm trying to land on a hard case, and it is windy out, I have to get where I think I'm above the case and hope the Mavic will land on the small landing area. This might also be an issue if you were on a boat and it was windy out.

Am I over thinking this?

Nope - it's DJI trying to Nanny/idiot proof the aircraft.
Unfortunately one size doesn't fit all and there are times when you legitimately need to override certain protections (like being able to manually switch to Atti mode for instance).
I said in another thread, I can guarantee I am able to land more gently and with finer control than any algorithm

I thought I had read holding the left stick down avoided the landing pause ??

Sent from my SM-G925F using MavicPilots mobile app

There is still a slight pause but not more than a second or so

Just hand catch it

Reactions: dirkclod
You can manually land if you turn off the downward vision positioning in DJI GO.

DJI-GO.jpg

I found the Mavic likes to hop around on the ground a bit when landing though. The landings seem much smoother when it auto lands itself.

I have never been one to hand catch but might need to if I can't get it to let me land under my control.

I always hand catch. And if I could always hand launch. I come from a photography background and I can't stand the idea of the props kicking up dust during take off and landing and having the dust particles brush across my lens.

I agree this feature is annoying and I'd prefer to be able to turn it off. Makes precision landing next to impossible. And no, the auto precision landing isn't all that great.

Slightly OT, but those of you that hand catch, do you have to fight the full throttle up that happens within a second or two of grabbing the underside of the MP? It's obviously not too strong to get away, but it is loud and startling for those that may be nearby and aren't prepared for it. I just prefer not to draw attention to myself when flying.

What about switching to Sports mode before landing? I guess the VPS is then off and that would be the quickest way to do it?

I have never been one to hand catch but might need to if I can't get it to let me land under my control.

I've been hand catching ever since my third or fourth flight with my phantom pro three and I also plan to do this with my Mavic pro

If you turn off VPS you can hand catch easily without that happening

You can hand catch it with VPS on. My new method is to land it in my waiting hand grip. The Mavic thinks my hand is ground, and begins landing. Shuts off gently and no violent rpm increases as it tries to fly away from you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo