DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic portable solar battery charging SOLVED

Mcolvin32

Reactions
I have been searching online for solutions for charging my mavic on long hikes and I have found it.
392f27bad696fd768d8da8b3e5df2726.jpg
c7805b7b9b6da75d6da49dd2da245462.jpg

This is Allpowers 80 watt solar panel.

A simple 10 amp buck converter.

And a sacrificial mavic charger.

I used ec3 plugs to make all my connections and I am doing my first timed charged test here in a hot day in ohio.

If this is the Solar pack? Amazon.com : [New Version] ALLPOWERS 80W Foldable Solar Panel SunPower Solar Charger (Dual 5V USB with iSolar Technology+18V DC Output) for Laptop, ipad, iphone, Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo Notebooks and More : Patio, Lawn & Garden. On it's 18v side only produces 50.4 watts of power, but I do find this interesting information. The solar cells will give peak power output when they are perpendicular to the sun. Which means you need to preposition them every 15 to 30 minutes.

If this is the Solar pack? Amazon.com : [New Version] ALLPOWERS 80W Foldable Solar Panel SunPower Solar Charger (Dual 5V USB with iSolar Technology+18V DC Output) for Laptop, ipad, iphone, Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo Notebooks and More : Patio, Lawn & Garden. On it's 18v side only produces 50.4 watts of power, but I do find this interesting information. The solar cells will give peak power output when they are perpendicular to the sun. Which means you need to preposition them every 15 to 30 minutes.
Yep that is the pack and the solar panel peaked at about 45 watts so not bad charged the battery in 1:25 only thing is that I did get a blinking 3rd led for an overcharge but I flew it and it was great and the panel puts out 22 V and drops under load.

The buck converter doesn't appear to be adjustable? Is it 18V to 12V?
I assume you intend to use this as a charger which you monitor? Which should work fine since you're on the trail.

did not notice those pots earlier, thanks. So, this should input about 4.5A into the battery on a nice sunny day. I guess the plan would be to get the battery to about 80% (bulk) then unhook it as there is no "charge controller" to lower the amps as the battery reaches the "float charge" area?

did not notice those pots earlier, thanks. So, this should input about 4.5A into the battery on a nice sunny day. I guess the plan would be to get the battery to about 80% (bulk) then unhook it as there is no "charge controller" to lower the amps as the battery reaches the "float charge" area?
The mavic battery actually had its own bms so it's not much of an issue you just provide it with charge at proper voltage and it will take it. Works awesome finial charge time on sunny day with intermittent clouds was 1:25

It's not a light weight solution (39lbs) but I had one of these sitting around, the 2082 that is 33AH, with 4 cigarette lighter sockets:
Kendrick Power Packs - 18AH Power Pack, ePacks, Power Pods and Accessories
I bought 4 of the non DJI 12V battery chargers so I can charge 4 batteries as once. That way there is no waiting to fly.
I just got a solar panel in the mail so I can leave it at the remote hilltop where I fly from and have it charge when I'm not around. It's in a waterproof backpack right now but bought a nice cooler to put it in to keep it dry and will put some permanent electrical connectors on the outside so it will stay sealed.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-26-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey/49229405#about-item

It's not a light weight solution (39lbs) but I had one of these sitting around, the 2082 that is 33AH, with 4 cigarette lighter sockets:
Kendrick Power Packs - 18AH Power Pack, ePacks, Power Pods and Accessories
I bought 4 of the non DJI 12V battery chargers so I can charge 4 batteries as once. That way there is no waiting to fly.
I just got a solar panel in the mail so I can leave it at the remote hilltop where I fly from and have it charge when I'm not around. It's in a waterproof backpack right now but bought a nice cooler to put it in to keep it dry and will put some permanent electrical connectors on the outside so it will stay sealed.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-26-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey/49229405#about-item
That's pretty cool almost like a power station.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder