DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 1 vs Phantom 3 Advanced

samiam

Reactions
While there seem to be topics here dedicated to DJI drone models other than the Mavic series, I don't see one specifically for this model, so if the mods see fit to move this thread to a more appropriate topic (or merge it with my previous thread on what to look for in a Pro 1), it's fine with me.

I am a rookie, and have been looking for a reliable, capable FPV drone to start with that wouldn't cost over $1000 and that I wouldn't immediately outgrow. The Mavic Pro 1 seemed to be a good choice. I have been finding some promising examples for sale locally, but hadn't yet decided on one to pursue. This morning, I found a DJI drone listed on FB Marketplace, supposed to be in excellent condition, that the seller has identified as a Phantom 3 Advanced. Can someone point me to information (here or elsewhere) that summarizes the differences (including strengths and weaknesses) between these models? Is the Phantom even FPV capable? Can its firmware be modified/replaced in the same manner as the Pro 1, if I should ever decide to go in that direction? Is $300 a good price for a decent example, and are there items I should check out that are specific to this model? I will definitely require an in-person flight demo before purchase. Other thoughts? Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

haven,t used a phantom 3 so i don,t know much about it have used atried phantom 2 but the difference between it and the pro the phantom is going back to cave man days , although the camera on the mavic pro isn,t up to all the new ones it is a reliable rocksolid little aircraft and does great 4k

I have a Phantom 3 advanced and a Mavic 2, I know you are talking about a Mavic 1.
With regards to the Phantom there is an entire forum, Pro/Adv Discussion, dedicated to Phantom 3's.
From memory FPV is available on the Phantom and quite honestly I prefer the inteligent flight modes of the Phantom (go App) to those of the Mavic 2 (Go4 App).
With regards to firmware up dates for the Phantom they are or were available, I haven't looked to see if there are any recent ones but in general I would say leave a working combination ALONE.

I still fly the Phantom, it is a good drone but, and it is a BIG but, in terms at lugging the thing around with you they are MUCH bigger and cumbersome than the Mavic series.
The phantom has solid propellors that screw on and off.
You also need to check the Phantom 3 body shell for stress cracks around the motor mounts, that is a must. Check the legs for damage too and check that the gimbal has two diagonally-mounted clear-plastic safety-pins and the associated locking washers in place or light cable ties etc. to the same effect. The gimbal assembly hangs from 4 rubber gaitors, the pins etc. go through these gaitors and are there just incase a gaitor should fail or be dislodged.

How many batteries with the Phantom? With regards to prices I would check against prices on ebay

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Phantom 3 advanced and a Mavic 2, I know you are talking about a Mavic 1.
With regards to the Phantom there is an entire forum, Pro/Adv Discussion, dedicated to Phantom 3's.
From memory FPV is available on the Phantom and quite honestly I prefer the inteligent flight modes of the Phantom (go App) to those of the Mavic 2 (Go4 App).
With regards to firmware up dates for the Phantom they are or were available, I haven't looked to see if there are any recent ones but in general I would say leave a working combination ALONE.

I still fly the Phantom, it is a good drone but, and it is a BIG but, in terms at lugging the thing around with you they are MUCH bigger and cumbersome than the Mavic series.
The phantom has solid propellors that screw on and off.
You also need to check the Phantom 3 body shell for stress cracks around the motor mounts, that is a must. Check the legs for damage too and check that the gimbal has two diagonally-mounted clear-plastic safety-pins and the associated locking washers in place or light cable ties etc. to the same effect. The gimbal assembly hangs from 4 rubber gaitors, the pins etc. go through these gaitors and are there just incase a gaitor should fail or be dislodged.

How many batteries with the Phantom? With regards to prices I would check against prices on ebay
Wasn't aware of that forum, thanks. With DJI apparently changing the names of some of their products and lines, there seems to be a player/scorecard issue developing. The rest of your reply is great information as well. I did see that compared to a folding Mavic Pro, the Phantom seems like a beast in size, but that shouldn't impact my initial intended uses much. I downloaded and skimmed the manual, and I did see a reference to the gimbal pins, but it didn't go into the risks for not having those. The manual did also appear to clearly indicate the availability of FPV. One Phantom I am looking at has one battery, another has two. Amazon seems to have well-reviewed replacement batteries for $60-70, so that isn't a huge issue for me. I will examine any Phantom demoed for me for the stress cracks you mention. I will also join the Phantom board, but from what you have told me, it doesn't seem to be a bad way to get my feet wet in this activity.

I fly the P3A at work and a Pro 1 at home. Both are great aircraft, and for most general purpose applications either would work well. If you're looking to maximize for a particular application then you need to look at the respective specs. The P3A is ideally suited for mounting and carrying a payload, the Pro fits into a camera or overnight bag, For general web / social media purposes the cameras on both exceed by far capabilities required. - In my HUMBLE opinion.

Oh, one other thing has come to mind, the Phantom has a switchable ATTI mode.
In that mode it does NOT use anything to hold position (excluding height), i.e. the wind can blow it about and it is up to the pilot to control its position. It is good training for delicate use of the controls.

That may sound a bad idea but I find it VERY handy for checking wind strength at height. I do not know if the Mavic 1 has a switchable ATTI mode but I sometimes wish the Mavic 2 did, ditto the Mavic Mini. I know that there is a software hack for one or both the Mavic 2 and the Mini but I am not into hacking.

Try for three batteries at the least.

You might also want to consider the Mavic Mini but bear in mind it struggles in winds the P3 and Mavic Pro probably handle 'easily'. The Mavic Mini also NEEDS A 64bit screen device, CHECK your current 'phone' for compatibility, the latter caught quite a few people out

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa