DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Powering on by Itself

Reactions
Hi All,
I’m new to flying and have a Mavic Pro 2 that I purchased prior to Christmas 2021. I wanted to be able to fly a couple of hours so I purchased additional batteries (1 came with drone + 4 additional) and marked each one so I could keep track of the ones I use. When I fly, I start with one battery then proceed to use the others leaving the last one in the drone when I pack up and return home. The drone and batteries are stored in a Lowepro backpack when not in use. The other day I opened the backpack and to my surprise I found the drone in a “powered on” state. I turned it off and closed the bag. The next day I was working at my computer and I heard the distinctive “beeping” from the backpack that sounded like the drone when it performs its power-on self-test. I checked it out and found the drone had powered up again. I keep a basic log of my flights (I’m an **** engineer) and determined that I have never left this battery in the drone when it was stored between uses. It has only been in a storage bag, used for flying, then back to the storage bag. The drone has only powered-on by itself with this battery so I think it might be the issue because the drone has been stored with two other batteries with no issues. Any thoughts on why the battery might be powering up the drone by itself?

Just an FYI, I use the Mavic Pro 2 Smart Controller which is stored with the drone in the same backpack. It was in a powered-off state so I can’t see it having any interaction with the drone. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Hi All,
I’m new to flying and have a Mavic Pro 2 that I purchased prior to Christmas 2021. I wanted to be able to fly a couple of hours so I purchased additional batteries (1 came with drone + 4 additional) and marked each one so I could keep track of the ones I use. When I fly, I start with one battery then proceed to use the others leaving the last one in the drone when I pack up and return home. The drone and batteries are stored in a Lowepro backpack when not in use. The other day I opened the backpack and to my surprise I found the drone in a “powered on” state. I turned it off and closed the bag. The next day I was working at my computer and I heard the distinctive “beeping” from the backpack that sounded like the drone when it performs its power-on self-test. I checked it out and found the drone had powered up again. I keep a basic log of my flights (I’m an **** engineer) and determined that I have never left this battery in the drone when it was stored between uses. It has only been in a storage bag, used for flying, then back to the storage bag. The drone has only powered-on by itself with this battery so I think it might be the issue because the drone has been stored with two other batteries with no issues. Any thoughts on why the battery might be powering up the drone by itself?

Just an FYI, I use the Mavic Pro 2 Smart Controller which is stored with the drone in the same backpack. It was in a powered-off state so I can’t see it having any interaction with the drone. Any assistance would be appreciated!
Try just storing it all in the open on a shelf. If these events are resolved the change your storage mode. If not contact DJI or your retailer for return.

Reactions: TruckeeSnowblower
Not the first time I’ve seen several threads on this ,hears one

Yeah. There are a few threads on it, I created one last year to explain my own situation. It’s a faulty battery. Had 2 of those, and DJI replaced them under warranty. I suggest take a video of the battery powering up on it’s own.

Hi All,

Beware of skynet

• Haha
Reactions: Thomas B
Yeah. There are a few threads on it, I created one last year to explain my own situation. It’s a faulty battery. Had 2 of those, and DJI replaced them under warranty. I suggest take a video of the battery powering up on it’s own.
Call me OCD but I never leave a battery in the AC when not in use.

Hi All,
Thanks for your responses. Just a quick follow up to my issue. I removed the battery from the Mavic Pro 2 and left it on my computer desk for about 10 days. I went to fly the other day and pressed the power button on this battery to check the status. None of the lights lights would illuminate. I put it in the charger and it doesn't light up when connected. It's dead so I have now contacted DJI to see about a replacement. Hopefully end of issue.....

Is it because you are worried the battery might fail while stored in the AC or is is something else? Just curious.....
My logic is that I do not want the battery and AC in the flight ready position except for pressing the power on button. I have two young granddaughters who, like most young children, are very curious about "toys". Plus when I go flying, everything is stored in a backpack, and I want to avoid unintended presses to the battery power button.

My logic is that I do not want the battery and AC in the flight ready position except for pressing the power on button. I have two young granddaughters who, like most young children, are very curious about "toys". Plus when I go flying, everything is stored in a backpack, and I want to avoid unintended presses to the battery power button.
That makes sense and better being safe then sorry as they say....Thanks for the response.

My Mavic 2 pro has just turned itself on in its bag, I heard the bootup beeps. it's just over a month since I bought it. I also purchased the fly more kit and one of the 3 batteries is already dead, will not light up or acknowledge a charge,. I have raised the issue with Dji and its awaiting collection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
My Mavic 2 pro has just turned itself on in its bag, I heard the bootup beeps. it's just over a month since I bought it. I also purchased the fly more kit and one of the 3 batteries is already dead, will not light up or acknowledge a charge,. I have raised the issue with Dji and its awaiting collection.
File a repair request with DJI. I sent the defective battery to Texas and received a new one from them about a week later. At least this time they stood behind their product. I was happy with the service & response. Good luck!

Reactions: Droniac
It happened to me last night.....I was in the process of prepping for some flight time in the am. Battery 1 charged I put in my Mavic zoom as I always do....just the wife and I.....no kids, no gremlins though I have to question that now. I was watching some TV, the drone on the kitchen table, arms open while charging battery number 3 in the den, the controller was off and not being charged, I heard the familiar sound of start up and flight check. I had but to stand up and look onto the kitchen table to see the lights blinking and hear the fan blowing. I rushed over to turn it off....pushing the battery button of course and it powered down, no problem though no explanation as to why it powered up. I have been doing this same practice from day 1 and here it is a year later, with this, one of three batteries bought in the Flymore package, still in excellent condition physically and electrically as per the data.

Scary not knowing why but I suspect I will change my practice of putting it in my drone the night before and wait until I am on my way to the field

WDK

It happened to me last night.....I was in the process of prepping for some flight time in the am. Battery 1 charged I put in my Mavic zoom as I always do....just the wife and I.....no kids, no gremlins though I have to question that now. I was watching some TV, the drone on the kitchen table, arms open while charging battery number 3 in the den, the controller was off and not being charged, I heard the familiar sound of start up and flight check. I had but to stand up and look onto the kitchen table to see the lights blinking and hear the fan blowing. I rushed over to turn it off....pushing the battery button of course and it powered down, no problem though no explanation as to why it powered up. I have been doing this same practice from day 1 and here it is a year later, with this, one of three batteries bought in the Flymore package, still in excellent condition physically and electrically as per the data.

Scary not knowing why but I suspect I will change my practice of putting it in my drone the night before and wait until I am on my way to the field

WDK
Personally, I never place a battery in the AC unless I am going to power up and fly. I think I am slightly OCD.

Personally, I never place a battery in the AC unless I am going to power up and fly. I think I am slightly OCD.
I think we all get that…..but that would be much the same as unplugging ALL your appliances before you leave home or taking the spark plugs out of your engine to make sure it does not fire up in the middle of the night and so on….that can be endless……stuff happens and you can’t plan for or prevent everything.

The reason for my post as I have read them all is just to compile more data. The problem seems obviously the battery coming on for some reason but again after nearly 200 times of doing it this, it has not happened. A definitive answer is still the quest.

WDK

I think we all get that…..but that would be much the same as unplugging ALL your appliances before you leave home or taking the spark plugs out of your engine to make sure it does not fire up in the middle of the night and so on….that can be endless……stuff happens and you can’t plan for or prevent everything.

The reason for my post as I have read them all is just to compile more data. The problem seems obviously the battery coming on for some reason but again after nearly 200 times of doing it this, it has not happened. A definitive answer is still the quest.

WDK
I understand your point....although my appliances and car do not run on Li-Po's. Since 2013 I have used Li-Po's and have a healthy respect for them.

Reactions: WDKZoom
I understand your point....although my appliances and car do not run on Li-Po's. Since 2013 I have used Li-Po's and have a healthy respect for them.
……I am a 30 year journeyman electrician….and have come across in the industry quite a few appliances burning down homes…..many more so than Lipo’s at this point…..trust can be a deadly thing. I have a very healthy respect for electricity…..been shocked quite a few times and seen a lot of stuff burn up because of it but I still don’t unplug everything before leave home.

Like I said, I will probably change my practice of placing my battery in the drone the night before but thousands are doing it as I type and I would not fault them one bit.

WDK

Last edited:
……I am a 30 year journeyman electrician….and have come across in the industry quite a few appliances burning down homes…..many more so than Lipo’s at this point…..trust can be a deadly thing. I have a very healthy respect for electricity…..been shocked quite a few times and seen a lot of stuff burn up because of it but I still don’t unplug everything before leave home.

Like I said, I will probably change my practice of placing my battery in the drone the night before but thousands are doing it as I type and I would not fault them one bit.

WDK
Not to belabour the discussion, I suspect there are millions more appliances in homes than Lipo's. I agree though, appliance fires are not highly unusual and do cause a tremendous loss of life and property. Given your long experience, I bow to your expertise. Thx.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82