DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 RAW photo files

CiaranMcHugh

Reactions
Hi, I'm a landscape photographer and am looking to buy a Pro 2 to use for my photography. I am just looking to double check that the quality of the photograph images are good enough to sell. Does anyone have some RAW samples at various ios setting that they would be able to share? Had been hoping the Pro3 would be announced by now but looks like could be any time this year. Thanks Ciaran.

You can forget about high ISO. Stay at base ISO bracket 5 shots. Do not try to push the flies as noise even at base ISO can be extreme.

Resolution is 20mp can produce a fine print.

Avoid aperture setting past F5.6 unless you are trying to shoot towards the sun and don’t want blown high lights.

Still the best flying 20MP camera reasonably priced. Only other option is the Inspire and that’s a lot more cash and risk.

When conditions are perfect MP2 can produce excellent images.

Paul C

I'd go with that. ISO100.
Absolutely max if it cant be avoided, ISO400 with post processing noise reduction.

Sharpness is best around f/4 but in reality there's very very little difference f/2.8 to f/4.5 so gives you 1.3 stops to work with.
Once you hit f/5.6 diffraction starts to really bite and soften an image.

The DNGs produced are a little oversaturated, especially in the green channel but thats nothing a Colour Checker tool cant sort out to create a proper profile.

For video i dont class ISO above 200 as acceptable at all. Too much detail lost with the required noise reduction.

That said, the M2 used at ISO100 or 200 between f/2.8 and f/4.5 can produce excellent images. More than good enough for printing or selling. Its pretty good for a drone with a small sensor.

Reactions: anotherlab
Hi, I'm a landscape photographer and am looking to buy a Pro 2 to use for my photography. I am just looking to double check that the quality of the photograph images are good enough to sell. Does anyone have some RAW samples at various ios setting that they would be able to share? Had been hoping the Pro3 would be announced by now but looks like could be any time this year. Thanks Ciaran.
I doubt DJI will be releasing an M3P within the next 2 days.[emoji16]

Absolutely max if it cant be avoided, ISO400 with post processing noise reduction.

Sharpness is best around f/4 but in reality there's very very little difference f/2.8 to f/4.5 so gives you 1.3 stops to work with.

The DNGs produced are a little oversaturated, especially in the green channel but thats nothing a Colour Checker tool cant sort out to create a proper profile.

For video i dont class ISO above 200 as acceptable at all. Too much detail lost with the required noise reduction.

That said, the M2 used at ISO100 or 200 between f/2.8 and f/4.5 can produce excellent images. More than good enough for printing or selling. Its pretty good for a drone with a small sensor.
Happy New Year. I don't suppose you would have a sample file you could share at some stage? Would be really useful.

No one mentions shutter speed ? I've found it very helpful in different light situations. I feel I'm missing something that everyone is just talking iso and f stop. Is there a drawback to using shutter speed I've not heard about on this camera ?

Shutterspeed is no effect on image quality assuming its fast enough to avoid blur whereas ISO and aperture do.

Ideally iso100 f/4 and only go from that if the resulting shutterspeed is too slow and motion blur is an issue.

Aperture priority mode is generally the way to go for still images for that reason.

Quality is good from f2.8 to f4 but it doesn’t compare to a DSLR of the same resolution and a good lens.

Don’t be fooled by the Hassleblad label.

I was thinking more for situations where it's too bright and the whites wash out, you can go to f stop 11 ? But if image quality suffers, make shutter speed faster instead seems to work wel, and no risk no risk of motion blur. No sacrifice of quality like a high f stop.

Generally i wont let the aperture go above f/5 as i lose sharpness.
But the shutter goes to 1/8000th which is more than enough to properly expose even in the brightest conditions.
As a general rule, the faster the shutter the better for stills (but not at the expense of iso/aperture)

I just thought it was odd I didn't see any mention of shutter speeds in the discussions I've seen in here about settings for different lighting conditions etc. Thought I'd bring it up as it can play a big factor too

Shutter is basically just the last variable.
You NEED a specific iso and NEED an aperture within a range. Shutterspeed other than having an acceptable minimum is the variable that can change with no detrimental effect on the image at all.

Aperture priority mode takes the issue out of this, lock ISO and aperture and just monitor shutterspeed it chooses.

Cymru how did you go, do you still need some images to view, I see nobody has posted for you?

That's not referring to me. Im not the original poster.
I've got about 24,000 raw files!

So I am still interested in a raw file to compare. I'm debating between picking up the mini 2 as a starter and stacking the raw files for resolution/noise control vs just jumping for something much higher resolution like the M2P. I'm a landscape photographer primarily as well and am perfectly comfortable with combining files in post as I do a lot of nightscaper work.

Side note I've also been looking at how altitude impacts the three prosumer levels of dji offerings as I live in the Denver area so we'll be taking off at 6,500ft at a low point. So far it looks like a wash between weight and power across the spectrum after the mini refresh.

There are quite a lot of M2 sample RAWs online.

Altitude isn't an issue. I've flown it up to 14,000ft with no obvious degradation of endurance or power.

FWIW a modified (unlocked) version was flown by a Nat Geo team at Mt Everest at 28300ft.

That isnt going to be an issue.

The max altitude (service ceiling) of the M2 is specified s 6000m (19,700ft). I know the definition of service ceiling for regular aircraft is when the climb rate decreases to 100ft/min. Not sure if it is defined the same for drones. I suspect that for an M2 to fly at 28,000 ft it might need modified props with a higher pitch. Just a guess.

The max altitude (service ceiling) of the M2 is specified s 6000m (19,700ft). I know the definition of service ceiling for regular aircraft is when the climb rate decreases to 100ft/min. Not sure if it is defined the same for drones. I suspect that for an M2 to fly at 28,000 ft it might need modified props with a higher pitch. Just a guess.
The only modification was the 500m limit (to get higher above launch point). It was operating ~6000ft above launch point.

Its all on the nat geo behind the scenes.

Ultimately the M2 has no issues operating at altitudes a normal consumer is going to approach.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121