DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 unexpected crash

jmm4jmc

Reactions
Good afternoon,
I have a new MP2 with Smart Controller, 3-days old, very little flight time. I took it for a quick flight this morning and it didn't go well. Fully charged battery including controller, set my RTH position (including RTH altitude of 90ft) and took to the air. Switched the controller to "S" and took it to about 150ft and flew in a straight line down the beach (wind was about 10mph) within line of sight distance of about .8 miles, dropped down to about 100ft and then the screen image froze. The controller then had a message saying the AC is returning to home. During the entire flight the controller had good signal etc, antennas pointed in the correct direction for best reception and I didn't see anything of concern showing up on the controller, other then when the screen image froze. So as the AC is returning home the image is still frozen but I can see on the screen the air speed, distance counting down and the altitude as it is returning, and soon I can finally visually see it. The AC finally hits the home position and is sitting at 90ft hovering, then it starts to decent as I am looking up at it. I was thinking of taking control but the image was still frozen on the screen so I didn't want to take a chance, I just decided to let it RTH land by itself. As I am watching it decent seemingly normal, at about 40-50 ft it took an immediate and fast approximate 60deg decent straight to the sand. I quickly thought to myself "well at least it will hit the sand and not the end of the street", but it ended up hitting a group of boulders, just missing the sand by a couple feet. It almost looked like the AC had folded up some during the fast 60deg decent/fall, but maybe it was an optical illusion. The new Drone is now trashed, two broken arms, detached motor, detached gimbal and camera, and filled with sand. Just heart breaking!

Not sure what happened, everything seemed normal and was functioning properly and then all of a sudden it didn't. The battery was fully seated and the props were secured. The night before I had a flawless flight, even went through 3-batteries with no errors or problems.

So I hooked up the smart controller to my pc (Windows 10) and was able to retrieve the flight log .dat file. Converted it to .txt with DatCon. See attached .txt file.

I then tried to hook up the AC to the PC to retrieve the flight log from the AC and DJI Assistant 2 would not recognize it. The AC turns on, does it's pre-filght noises, lights etc, even the controller sees it but DJI Assistant 2 does not.

Does anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong? And do you think this may be something that DJI will cover? And last night was my 48hr cutoff for the Care Refresh, decided not to purchase it.

Thanks so much for your time.

Jim

Attachments

• 20-01-19-08-08-08_FLY019.log.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 28
@jmm4jmc The MP2 aircraft .dat files are encrypted and not readable. Converting them doesn't help. What you can do is upload the .txt log file directly here and/or to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help and share a link back here.

Reactions: Thomas B
@jmm4jmc The MP2 aircraft .dat files are encrypted and not readable. Converting them doesn't help. What you can do is upload the .txt log file directly here and/or to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help and share a link back here.

@Fly Dawg
Hopefully this is what you need, uploaded the .txt log file to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Here is the link

and also downloaded the log viewer generated .txt file, see attached. It looks like the same file I originally uploaded here.

And FYI this is the log from the controller not the aircraft.

Jim

Attachments

• 20-01-19-08-08-08_FLY019.log.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 8
And FYI this is the log from the controller not the aircraft.
That is not the correct file. The .txt log should look something like this: DJIFlightRecord_2020-01-18-[09-44-46].txt
The uploaded file to Phantom Help is the same as posted above. No data.

@jmm4jmc I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. The only thing I can suggest is wind during the autoland after RTH. Everything else looks fine. Except for the fact that the data stream ends at ~50 ft in altitude, so what happened after that would require the aircraft .dat, which is not readable for the MP2.

1579476239233.png

Good afternoon,
I have a new MP2 with Smart Controller, 3-days old, very little flight time. I took it for a quick flight this morning and it didn't go well. Fully charged battery including controller, set my RTH position (including RTH altitude of 90ft) and took to the air. Switched the controller to "S" and took it to about 150ft and flew in a straight line down the beach (wind was about 10mph) within line of sight distance of about .8 miles, dropped down to about 100ft and then the screen image froze. The controller then had a message saying the AC is returning to home. During the entire flight the controller had good signal etc, antennas pointed in the correct direction for best reception and I didn't see anything of concern showing up on the controller, other then when the screen image froze. So as the AC is returning home the image is still frozen but I can see on the screen the air speed, distance counting down and the altitude as it is returning, and soon I can finally visually see it. The AC finally hits the home position and is sitting at 90ft hovering, then it starts to decent as I am looking up at it. I was thinking of taking control but the image was still frozen on the screen so I didn't want to take a chance, I just decided to let it RTH land by itself. As I am watching it decent seemingly normal, at about 40-50 ft it took an immediate and fast approximate 60deg decent straight to the sand. I quickly thought to myself "well at least it will hit the sand and not the end of the street", but it ended up hitting a group of boulders, just missing the sand by a couple feet. It almost looked like the AC had folded up some during the fast 60deg decent/fall, but maybe it was an optical illusion. The new Drone is now trashed, two broken arms, detached motor, detached gimbal and camera, and filled with sand. Just heart breaking!

Not sure what happened, everything seemed normal and was functioning properly and then all of a sudden it didn't. The battery was fully seated and the props were secured. The night before I had a flawless flight, even went through 3-batteries with no errors or problems.

So I hooked up the smart controller to my pc (Windows 10) and was able to retrieve the flight log .dat file. Converted it to .txt with DatCon. See attached .txt file.

I then tried to hook up the AC to the PC to retrieve the flight log from the AC and DJI Assistant 2 would not recognize it. The AC turns on, does it's pre-filght noises, lights etc, even the controller sees it but DJI Assistant 2 does not.

Does anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong? And do you think this may be something that DJI will cover? And last night was my 48hr cutoff for the Care Refresh, decided not to purchase it.

Thanks so much for your time.

Jim
You have already retrieved the correct .DAT. But, providing the eventLog stream from that .DAT via DatCon isn't very useful. Please provide that .DAT either by attaching it to a post or via a public sharing site like Dropbox.

Last edited:
You have already retrieved the correct .DAT. But, providing the eventLog stream from that .DAT via DatCon isn't very useful. Please provide that .DAT either by attaching it to a post or via a public sharing site like Dropbox.

@BudWalker
See attached .dat file. I'm assuming it is the correct .dat file?

And thanks guys for the feedback.

Jim

Attachments

• 20-01-19-08-08-08_FLY019.DAT
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: slup
I absolutely can't see anything out of the ordinary until the DAT abrupt ends, not a single deviation before it drops ... will follow this to see were our experts lead us.

2020-01-20_16-05-28.jpg

@BudWalker
See attached .dat file. I'm assuming it is the correct .dat file?

And thanks guys for the feedback.

Jim
Just like the .TXT file, the .DAT log ended when the drone was still at good height, all four motors were spinning at about the same speed, the drone was level and descending steadily. It appears that some catastrophic failure has occurred causing the transmission of telemetry data to the remote controller terminated. There should be some more detailed flight data inside the drone but only DJI can decipher them. I will be very surprised if failure of this kind is not covered by DJI's warranty.

1579532908115.png

Well I thought I'd keep this thread updated. I sent the M2 back to DJI repair two weeks ago with a very detailed description of what happened etc. They responded very quickly after the evaluation basically saying that I was at fault. They sent a few images of the damage and also the attached image. I am assuming they are trying to tell me this was the problem, probably user error. But I never saw on the SC that the IMU was initializing. And I didn't think it was even possible to move the AC when the IMU was initializing?

So DJI came back with a repair cost of 476.00. I paid it and they shipped me what I am assuming is either new or refurbished, visually looks new though, new serial number etc. So this time I purchase the Care Refresh, just in case something happens again.

At least the positive is DJI repair was quick and easy, I am impressed with zero complaints. Plus the cost could have been worse I guess.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Jim

Attachments

• c3716e94-337b-4b64-a104-c450d6b5933e.jpg
    c3716e94-337b-4b64-a104-c450d6b5933e.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 46
Well I thought I'd keep this thread updated. I sent the M2 back to DJI repair two weeks ago with a very detailed description of what happened etc. They responded very quickly after the evaluation basically saying that I was at fault. They sent a few images of the damage and also the attached image. I am assuming they are trying to tell me this was the problem, probably user error. But I never saw on the SC that the IMU was initializing. And I didn't think it was even possible to move the AC when the IMU was initializing?

So DJI came back with a repair cost of 476.00. I paid it and they shipped me what I am assuming is either new or refurbished, visually looks new though, new serial number etc. So this time I purchase the Care Refresh, just in case something happens again.

At least the positive is DJI repair was quick and easy, I am impressed with zero complaints. Plus the cost could have been worse I guess.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Jim

You should get them to clarify. If the IMU re-initialized in mid-air then that's certainly not user error.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun