DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 500m height restriction

McGhee473

Reactions
Hi all, if I were to fly my mavic pro off the edge of a mountain would it decend to below 500m of ground directly below it or would it keep within 500m above its launch altitude? I want to fly across a valley. Thanks.

Reactions: Mica
Hi, Newbie here from Boston. Great question, can't wait to learn from all the knowledgeable drone pilots here.

The Mavic will fly down into the valley if you would like. The display telemetry in the DJIGO4 app and Remote Controller would both indicate negative values for altitude. It can then fly up to the Maximum height that you have set within the DJIGO4 app for Max Altitude or 3.7 miles whichever comes first.

Please keep altitude to 400 feet < than Home Point. FAA requires that you do so.

The mavic will not exceed 500 meters above its launch point unless the firmware was altered. If you fly from a mountain and cross a valley, the valley floor elevation will not matter to the drone. All altitude readings are established at launch point. If you fly down into the valley, from your launch point, you will get negative numbers on the screen.

The Mavic will fly down into the valley if you would like. The display telemetry in the DJIGO4 app and Remote Controller would both indicate negative values for altitude. It can then fly up to the Maximum height that you have set within the DJIGO4 app for Max Altitude or 3.7 miles whichever comes first.

Please keep altitude to 400 feet < than Home Point. FAA requires that you do so.
Where did you find a mavic that goes up 3.7 miles? I want one!

Reactions: BD0G
I am not advising this nor condoning this , but here is one at 8200 feet above the island of Milos which is a volcanic Greek island in the Aegean Sea.

Last edited:
if I were to fly my mavic pro off the edge of a mountain would it decend to below 500m of ground directly below it or would it keep within 500m above its launch altitude?
After flying over the edge, the Mavic will continue to fly at its current altitude unless you ascend/descend. It doesn't know where the ground is located, so it'll act the same way that it does when flying over level ground.

Reactions: Mica
Hi all, if I were to fly my mavic pro off the edge of a mountain would it decend to below 500m of ground directly below it or would it keep within 500m above its launch altitude? I want to fly across a valley. Thanks.

After flying over the edge, the Mavic will continue to fly at its current altitude unless you ascend/descend. It doesn't know where the ground is located, so it'll act the same way that it does when flying over level ground.

Great question and good answer. I live above 6000 ft. in the Rocky's near the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado. The Gorge is 1000 ft. deep with shear cliffs. I could have the opportunity in the future of flying over the edge at an unpopulated area. Not to mention many other mountainous locations. Being new to flying, living where I do, this is good to know information.

Thank you all so much for your answers. To clarify, launch position sets the altitude at zero and up or down from that point, regardless of land proximity will be the altitude reading (plus or minus).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11