DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro and Mavic Air

Johndrone2020

Reactions
I am sure they have been a lot of threads about this, I apologize, I just couldn't find my answer.

I hope this is the right section to post this as well.

I have been searching to get a drone for travelling, taking great videos from my vocations, etc.
I also want to try and get little gigs here and there to make some cash if I can.

My question is;
What are your thoughts between those two?
Where should I purchase my drone from? I am looking to get the best deal I can,

So far, I was planning to purchase it from walmart or best buy and price match it for the best price from amazon.
I could go ahead and purchase it from amazon but i don't trust shipping companies since they love to throw packages around like they are piece of nothing.

Thanks,
John

They would both be superb choices for traveling and vacationing. If you're not sure of the differences, you can compare the specs here.

Where should I purchase my drone from?
Buy it from an authorized DJI dealer. It sounds like you already know which dealers you're going to buy from.

You can find a list of current Mavic deals here. For price matching, I know Best Buy will only price match if Amazon is listed as both the seller and fulfiller. That'll rule out most of the deals on Amazon since Amazon is not the seller for most.

Both are great birds and there are plenty of YT videos to help you decide. As for 'vendor', most (reputable/DJI-authorized) are not far off from DJI website prices; that said, as MavicHelp suggested, check the list in his link then I'd start checking their websites... FWIW, buying from an out-of-state vendor often helps you avoid sales tax which, depending on your state, can be a hefty chunk. *IF* you can buy local for about the same price, you always have someone (local) to turn to for after-the-sale support which can be invaluable for a new pilot.

I ordered directly from dji, but later found out that the local distributor had it for the same price, all in, everything. I agree with atxmavic, developing a good working relationship with local sales/tech folks can an invaluable resource (and you're employing local people). Just in case people are looking in Canada, DJI Drones in Canada from best source is based in Edmonton, Alberta, but they have a brand spanking new retail store in Toronto (with great tech support).

Last edited:
John,

Long story short I ended up with a Pro after I had bought the Air. The thing I really love about the Pro is the flight time, it seems soooo much more... Especially as I am still new and working it out, by the time I get the Air in the air I used up 20% of the battery ! :)

Either way, do yourself a favour and go with the "fly more" package, gives you2 extra batteries and some other bits and is cheaper than buying 2 individual batteries later.....

Both are great birds and there are plenty of YT videos to help you decide. As for 'vendor', most (reputable/DJI-authorized) are not far off from DJI website prices; that said, as MavicHelp suggested, check the list in his link then I'd start checking their websites... FWIW, buying from an out-of-state vendor often helps you avoid sales tax which, depending on your state, can be a hefty chunk. *IF* you can buy local for about the same price, you always have someone (local) to turn to for after-the-sale support which can be invaluable for a new pilot.

I live in Delaware so no taxes :D

John,

Long story short I ended up with a Pro after I had bought the Air. The thing I really love about the Pro is the flight time, it seems soooo much more... Especially as I am still new and working it out, by the time I get the Air in the air I used up 20% of the battery ! :)

Either way, do yourself a favour and go with the "fly more" package, gives you2 extra batteries and some other bits and is cheaper than buying 2 individual batteries later.....

Yes there is one with 2 extra batteries for pro for 849 on amazon, i might go with that one.

Since I am planning to record for weddings, it will be very useful and some events to make some extra cash hopefully

But first I need to practice a lot and make some videos and create a profile.

I hope you are having fun with your drone!

Yes there is one with 2 extra batteries for pro for 849 on amazon, i might go with that one.

Since I am planning to record for weddings, it will be very useful and some events to make some extra cash hopefully

But first I need to practice a lot and make some videos and create a profile.

I hope you are having fun with your drone!

Fun.... Sometimes when the stars align.... Consistent fun, not yet. Hopefully that will change this week, have a 7 day island cruise coming... Finger crossed :)

I have done many weddings over the years just for photography, videography/drones is a whole other world... Not sure I would want to cross over to it ! hahahahh

the Air is a slightly more capable aircraft overall. better sensors and better camera gimbal design. flight time is shorter. it's a little more compact.

the single defining difference though is the lack of Occusync on the Air. the difference between Occusync and wifi is night and day.

They would both be superb choices for traveling and vacationing. If you're not sure of the differences, you can compare the specs here.

Buy it from an authorized DJI dealer. It sounds like you already know which dealers you're going to buy from.

You can find a list of current Mavic deals here. For price matching, I know Best Buy will only price match if Amazon is listed as both the seller and fulfiller. That'll rule out most of the deals on Amazon since Amazon is not the seller for most.
I recently (3 weeks ago) got the Mavic Air Fly More bundle for $850 from Best Buy... price match from Amazon. Felt like that was a decent deal. In hindsight, if size isn't an issue, i would hav me gone with the Mavic Pro, Platinum, or Mavic 2... top of my list was portability on my motorcycle and the Air folds up nicely.

If I stick with this hobby long enough (which I feel like I will unless regulations get too prohibitive) I will buy a Pro, Platinum, or 2.

the Air is a slightly more capable aircraft overall. better sensors and better camera gimbal design. flight time is shorter. it's a little more compact.

the single defining difference though is the lack of Occusync on the Air. the difference between Occusync and wifi is night and day.

Is this occusync available for the Mavic Pro ?

I had the very same dilemma recently...I opted for the Pro Plat.....the sound was a major consideration for me especially as some people/passers-by have seen lots of negative press about drones..
I did n' t stretch to the Combo as I got amazing deal. I can fly with only one battery and will probably only buy one more when I get more experience. I did n' t fancy the case as I use a strong hard case (for various reasons).
I got a spare set of props and a SanDisk extreme SD card with the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest