DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro antenna mods: Pretty much all the same for the controller?

iowahill

Reactions
After reading various posts and reviews I bought the Itelite Nanosync range extender and understand the controller side mods. In comparing other systems including the Titan boosters it appears that all we're doing is bringing the internal board antenna connectors out to replace the stock antennas with SMA RF connectors that all appear to be the same, assuming you ignore the various mounts for unique antennas.

So, as I'm looking at eventually adding RF amplifiers at some point (maybe Titan) am I correct in assuming that I can avoid having to do a second mod to the controller simply to accommodate another mounting system? I can pretty much fabricate my own mounting system as I eventually find the optimal system for my needs.

Last edited:
I think you got it! This is the one I wanted to try, but the guy won’t sell it unless he does the install!?!? There are some other versions of it available on the net that I will probably get. Just lazy so far. But you are correct in your thought about getting the connectors outside the controller. Once they are out, build your own mount for whatever your going to use and you’re done.Drone World

I think you got it! This is the one I wanted to try, but the guy won’t sell it unless he does the install!?!? There are some other versions of it available on the net that I will probably get. Just lazy so far. But you are correct in your thought about getting the connectors outside the controller. Once they are out, build your own mount for whatever your going to use and you’re done.Drone World

The passive antennas all appear to be circular polarized versions with a few variations for omni or semi-directional characteristics. I have a selection of various CP's left over from my P2, FPV, and R/C aircraft collection that I thought I'd try out for range testing as comparison to the Itelite Nano once I do the mods,

An inline RF amp between each antenna would be the next step though the current Titan offerings look tempting. But as we've all witnessed in the past couple of years, each day brings new choices for new platforms.

The Itelite Nanosynce kit was $109 from Amazon, and that was just cheap enough for me to take a chance on. There have been good reviews from MP members in the past, but this product is over a year old now so newer "bells and whistles"are surely on the horizon!

The passive antennas all appear to be circular polarized versions with a few variations for omni or semi-directional characteristics. I have a selection of various CP's left over from my P2, FPV, and R/C aircraft collection that I thought I'd try out for range testing as comparison to the Itelite Nano once I do the mods,

An inline RF amp between each antenna would be the next step though the current Titan offerings look tempting. But as we've all witnessed in the past couple of years, each day brings new choices for new platforms.

I found a number of 5 volt and 12 volt wideband RF amplifiers on Banggood's website like this: RF Wideband Amplifier LNA 0.1M-2G Gain 60dB Two-stage Amplification. Two models were less than $8 each in the 2.5 to 6GB bands so the price is right.

Not being that bright or experienced when it comes to RF my first thought was that too much gain would overdrive the receiver circuitry. I ordered a couple of 20dB and a couple of 10dB amps that will take me into the 2GB and 6GB ranges to experiment with once I gather more of a sense of how to couple them without blowing an input stage.

I'll experiment and see how they do on one of my P2V+ birds first to see how the work. The Banggood modules come as bare boards with SMA connectors so I'm going to form some small Faraday shields for them to reduce noise and parasitics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horace G Hill Sr
Of all the systems I have tried by far the Titan Switch system was the very best for me.
With this system you have the best of both antennas (directional and Omni directional).
With this system I am getting more distance then my AC batteries will allow me to go and return.

Of all the systems I have tried by far the Titan Switch system was the very best for me.
With this system you have the best of both antennas (directional and Omni directional).
With this system I am getting more distance then my AC batteries will allow me to go and return.

I've seen constantly good reports about the Titan and am leaning in that direction, though the next few months and time for the newer M2P pilots to come on board might see some improved systems.

Thats the one I was watching but the booster is what makes it expensive. I don't want crazy miles just no loss of signal when I get behind trees.

Reactions: Horace G Hill Sr
Hi Guys
Interesting post, some really good advice, perhaps you could help me, I would really love to have a system with remote antennas, so that I could mag mount the antennas on to the roof of my SUV, and then I could sit inside the vehicle and stay warm whilst I flew, ( unfortunately we don't all live in sunny California Ha Ha), because from now till end of March it's too cold to stand outside and operate the controller.

Any help or suggestions of where to buy the necessary kit would be great.

All the Best Waylander

I think there's some hood ones out there i went with drone world,there maxx mod kit helical system for my mavic air, which works outstanding. I never fly out of ols.but have flown a good distance from hp with no signal loss.which was a big confidence boosterfor me .I really like the titan system as well it looks well made but with all the bells and whistles its almost 500 bucks so maybe ill buy myself a Christmas present for my M2zoom.

Hi Guys
Interesting post, some really good advice, perhaps you could help me, I would really love to have a system with remote antennas, so that I could mag mount the antennas on to the roof of my SUV, and then I could sit inside the vehicle and stay warm whilst I flew, ( unfortunately we don't all live in sunny California Ha Ha), because from now till end of March it's too cold to stand outside and operate the controller.

All the Best Waylander
Titan has what you want on there website check them out its a great product for winter months.

Reactions: mereflyer
Hi Guys

All the Best Waylander

Titan has exactly what you are looking for.
https://www.commandcase.com/online-...ssage_id=a2c35d44-f511-488c-bf6b-9d9a1473314e

Reactions: mereflyer
Hi Guys,
My thanks to you both for your replies.

sea157 the link you sent for the antennas is exactly what I am looking for, but correct me if I am wrong, but there is no mention of amplifiers on the site you recommended. Surely with 10 feet of coaxial cable, you would need an amplifier, not to mention the kit needed to mod the RC. If you or anyone else knows where to get that from please post.

Many Thanks
Waylander

I sent an email to James Crutchfield at Titan Drones regarding the antennas on the Mavic Pro and the MP2. Here is his reply, less than 12 hours after I sent it yesterday afternoon!

"The left antenna, if hooked to the “left” connector on the main board, transmits and receives data and video. The right antenna acts a type of diversity antenna for receiving video if it has a stronger connection to the AC. I have been able to use just one amp on the Mavic Pro and get the same results as two amps as long as the amp is used on the correct antenna. This is also the case for several other dji aircraft. With that being said the Mavic 2 appears to use both antennas for rx and tx and I’m still going through testing on that. It appears though the Mavic 2 has to utilize two amps to be effective if you use an amped system. More to come on that later.
Titan Drones Inc Customer Service P: 1-866-202-5624 E: [email protected]

So that settles the question (at least for the MP1) about the second antenna (on the right). It's a "diversity system" for video reception where stronger signal is detected on one antenna than the other. James and Titan are tops in my book!

Hi Guys,
My thanks to you both for your replies.

sea157 the link you sent for the antennas is exactly what I am looking for, but correct me if I am wrong, but there is no mention of amplifiers on the site you recommended. Surely with 10 feet of coaxial cable, you would need an amplifier, not to mention the kit needed to mod the RC. If you or anyone else knows where to get that from please post.

Many Thanks
Waylander

Yes here is a link to their site, look it over and you could always contact them, they are VERY HELPFUL !
And yes you would need to modify your controller, you could do it or like me have them do it for you.
I am using their SWITCH system, it gives you the best of both worlds (Directional antenna and Omni Directional antennas) you can use these antennas amped by simply attaching the amp to your controller or without amplification by letting the amp off your controller.
https://www.commandcase.com/

The biggest one in the kit is the booster. When used together u get amplification, omni directional signaling

Yes here is a link to their site, look it over and you could always contact them, they are VERY HELPFUL !
And yes you would need to modify your controller, you could do it or like me have them do it for you.
I am using their SWITCH system, it gives you the best of both worlds (Directional antenna and Omni Directional antennas) you can use these antennas amped by simply attaching the amp to your controller or without amplification by letting the amp off your controller.
https://www.commandcase.com/

Wow... sea157 that is some kit right there, many thanks for posting... perhaps a bit too expensive just now, what with Christmas just around the corner, but I really like the thought and build quality that has gone into that design, ( do you have one..? ). I think I will contact Titan in the new year and see if they can sort me out a simplified version.

Once again many thanks for you post.

Waylander

Wow... sea157 that is some kit right there, many thanks for posting... perhaps a bit too expensive just now, what with Christmas just around the corner, but I really like the thought and build quality that has gone into that design, ( do you have one..? ). I think I will contact Titan in the new year and see if they can sort me out a simplified version.

Once again many thanks for you post.

Waylander

Yes Waylander I do have one of the Titan Switch antenna systems and I love it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929