DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro behaviour following DJI advice

Hand Solo

Reactions
Hi All,
I will try and make this somewhat concise.

2 flights prior ago (prior to lockdown) I noticed that my Mavic Pro (6.5 hours flight time in total) was having an issue with the camera - whereas I fly forward and sometimes, when decelerating the horizon jumps (almost like the camera got stuck and then unstuck).

Camera jumping

As my drone is in warranty, I contacted DJI this week and they recommended refreshing the firmware through DJI Assist which I duly did. The view was to see if this fixed it and if not then to send it back to them (Amsterdam!).

In my garden, I'm just able to obey drone code rules and so I took off and hovered. Shuffling forward and backwards in the small area I could operate with i couldn't see the camera sticking. I repeated this a further 4 times, take off, hover and shuffle forward and backwards. On the final test, I had swapped onto the drone the gold tip blades and lifted up once more. At that point my daughter enters the garden and my field of view, I look away from the drone to her and tell her to stay behind me but in those few seconds, the drone has crabbed across to where a chair is. I see the drone is about to hit the chair, I panic and actually yaw in the direction of the chair that the drone was just about to hit anyway. The drone lands on its roof. Upon visual inspection there is no damage (cosmetic or otherwise) to the drone, save the plastic rim around the motor is scuffed a little (even that is hardly visible after rubbing it). The prop that hit the chair had a chunk out the tip and one of the plastic lugs that connect the prop to the motor housing had snapped off requiring some upside down (so gravity could catch it!) tweezer work to remove it. After inspecting, I did hover the drone again, this time with my original props on and shuffled forward/backwards and side to side okay.

This is my first crash and I accept I was flying in too narrow a corridor because I wanted to obey lockdown and the drone code and if the refresh of the firmware hadn't worked at least the drone was heading back for warranty repair at a time it cant be used anyway. It does leave me with the following questions though.

1) I assume DJI will now use this 'hard landing' to avoid repairing the camera issue (if it has persisted past the FW refresh) under warranty?
2) Why did the drone crab when there was no wind last night? Because it happened straight after putting on new props, could it be related to some unseen issue with those props?

Thanks
G

Last edited:
Are you checking the video on a.lther source? Ie taking the memory card out and viewing on your pc.

If could be the video feed thats jerky. I get that on a samsung tab.

Another source.
Sorry im not very good at typing on theses phones

Are you checking the video on a.lther source? Ie taking the memory card out and viewing on your pc.

If could be the video feed thats jerky. I get that on a samsung tab.
Thats a good call but unfortunatly its on the video on the SD card too

hi all, umping this post as im hoping some of th ecommunity that havent seen this can help, either identify the issue with camera shake issue or my questions at end. thanks.

The gold tip blades (MPP "quiet blades", i assume?) are run at a lower RPM by the MP to achieve the same lift. Unless you fiddle with the gain settings, it can be a bit unstable, IME. The MPP is progrsmmed to take this into account, thus is more stable with those blades.
Also, if you post your flight log, we can see if the GPS and IMU had anything to do with it.

The gold tip blades (MPP "quiet blades", i assume?) are run at a lower RPM by the MP to achieve the same lift. Unless you fiddle with the gain settings, it can be a bit unstable, IME. The MPP is progrsmmed to take this into account, thus is more stable with those blades.
Also, if you post your flight log, we can see if the GPS and IMU had anything to do with it.
hiya ratjr...should of mentioned I do have the Mpp

You have the MPP, you shouldn't even own (or be running) the M1P 8330 (silver band) props.
You said you changed to the 8331 gold tip, so were you running 8330 silver band first ?
That sounds strange if so.

I have an M1P (3-1/2 years) and soon after getting it have run the 8331 MPP props with no issues or gain adjustments needed.

If you have the MPP, you should run the 8331 props only, not sure where you would have got 8330 silver band props from . . . or maybe this is a misunderstanding on my part.

It sounds more like you didn't get a good lock on sats for that last run, and VPS is not locked onto something good on the ground, it will drift.
I am fairly confident drift will only happen if you have lack of satellites or perhaps compass issues.

If DJI logged your inquiry before the crash, they would likely understand this minor crash happened after the fact.
The cash report data could even tie it to the props etc.

HAve you considered uploading the flight logs here for analysis ?

Post up the phantom help report, or the txt / dat files in a new post in the crash / flyaway section.

Reactions: Hand Solo
You have the MPP, you shouldn't even own (or be running) the M1P 8330 (silver band) props.
You said you changed to the 8331 gold tip, so were you running 8330 silver band first ?
That sounds strange if so.

I have an M1P (3-1/2 years) and soon after getting it have run the 8331 MPP props with no issues or gain adjustments needed.

If you have the MPP, you should run the 8331 props only, not sure where you would have got 8330 silver band props from . . . or maybe this is a misunderstanding on my part.

It sounds more like you didn't get a good lock on sats for that last run, and VPS is not locked onto something good on the ground, it will drift.
I am fairly confident drift will only happen if you have lack of satellites or perhaps compass issues.

If DJI logged your inquiry before the crash, they would likely understand this minor crash happened after the fact.
The cash report data could even tie it to the props etc.

HAve you considered uploading the flight logs here for analysis ?

Post up the phantom help report, or the txt / dat files in a new post in the crash / flyaway section.

Hi Mavic_South_Oz - thanks for your response and suggestion. I have now posted Crash thread as you suggested.
As for the props, I got the MPP at Christmas and the only props i have used with it are the onesa that came in the box. There were 6 silver tipped ones and 4 gold tipped and look like the 8331 that are on the DJI website (8330s look very different). I really hope that DJI take the view you suggest that if the problem existed before the crash it then they will fix it still. Its not a conversation im looking forwrd to having with them.
Cheers
G

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
There were 6 silver tipped ones and 4 gold tipped and look like the 8331 that are on the DJI website (8330s look very different).

Ah, maybe the 8331 also came with full silver tip, the M1P props have a silver band, just back from the tip.
If bought new then you would have all 8331 props, I'm sure.
But it would be interesting to double check silver and gold tips, I'm not aware there are any subtle variations, so maybe it was just a cosmetic thing.

Ha ha, search and ye shall find . . .

Ok, hopefully you can find relative dat / txt for the other thread (I saw that) and someone, sup, sar104, can take a better look for you.
Good luck, and don't stress over talking to DJI, they are usually pretty reasonable.
No point worrying about something until it happens.
Cheers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada