DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro boosted set up: Did I forget anything?

brett8883

Reactions
I have finally pulled the trigger on getting a dyi boosted set up for my MPP and would like to know if you think I got everything I need please.

I have been reading this thread by @droneuser closely but admittedly even with the detailed explanation I am not sure I got everything correct. I wanted to get it here before Christmas so I can give myself a nice project to do with my days off so I went ahead and ordered what I thought I needed.

I plan to amp only the left side as I hear from people that the benefit to boosting the right side is minimal. I ended up going with this

Sunhans eSunRC Mini 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm amp

because it served a few purposes I was looking for.

-It’s smaller
-It runs on a 5v 2amp power supply and even includes a USB adapter so I can use any standard power bank or even a Mavic battery with the USB adapter. This means I don’t have to buy a new battery or charger.

I also got a 4 pack of these 4 Inch Length U.fl Extension Cable IPEX to SMA Female Pigtails because the one the amp comes with is 6 inches and it seems the kits that are made for the Mavic Pro remote all come with 4” ones and I wasn’t sure about the quality of the one supplied with the amp.

Now the part that gave me a lot of trouble was how to connect the amp to the remote. You’d think that you should be able to connect the amp directly to the other end of pig tail reducing the number of connections but I couldn’t find a U.FL to RP sma male to connect the the RP sma female on the “to radio” end of the amp so I got this RF Coaxial Adapter SMA Coax Jack Connector SMA Male to RP SMA Male

Did I do this correctly? Was there a better way to do it?

Lastly I got a 7dbi antenna

and a 9dbi antenna

because I don’t know any better and they are cheap enough that I can figure out which one I like better before throwing down for a nicer antenna (though I still don’t understand what makes one antenna “better” than the next other than the gain profile)

Sorry for the long winded post but please let me know if I did ok or if you have other suggestions. Nice thing about Amazon Prime is free returns and one day shipping so if you correct me I can still probably get it by Christmas.

Thanks guys!

Not sure of everything going on here, but for such a long antenna, you might need a stabilizer to keep it upright, unless your connectors are not sloppy. This dual antenna bracket keeps things straight.
IMG_7438.JPG

Reactions: brett8883
Not sure of everything going on here, but for such a long antenna, you might need a stabilizer to keep it upright, unless your connectors are not sloppy. This dual antenna bracket keeps things straight.
View attachment 88596
Thanks I didn’t think about that. Dang the 9dbi are that big aren't they. So you get the same RF dispersion as stock but with higher gain and the only downside is they obnoxiously long antennas, is that right? I’m still a noob to all this.

The 7 dbi look much shorter, it will be interesting to see if the 9sget that much better range.

Thanks I didn’t think about that. Dang the 9dbi are that big aren't they. So you get the same RF dispersion as stock but with higher gain and the only downside is they obnoxiously long antennas, is that right? I’m still a noob to all this.

The 7 dbi look much shorter, it will be interesting to see if the 9sget that much better range.
I have both the 5dbi and 7dbi whips from Titan. They supplied the bracket that stabilizes the two against each other due to the thicker of the bracket. Sliding fit.
As far as gain in distance (no amp) I did see a definitely reproducible improvement.
I think where you are headed will be much better that mine. I’ll let you scout the path, then I might want to follow. Watching...?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC