DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro. CALGARY, Alberta, Canada

Shiner1953

Reactions
New to this forum. Haven't flown too much in the 4 yrs that I've had the machine.
I waited for all the rules and regulations to be sorted.
I have Basic pilot certification, but I still feel there are so many restrictions, especially in National and Provincial Parks. The City is also very restrictive! So finding an area to fly and film seems to be quite difficult.

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Welcome from Northern Ontario.
Canada is a big country. Lots of places to fly even with the Basic certificate. Use the Nav Canada selection map if your not sure. Depending on the Provincial Park you can get permission to fly at certain times of the day. (not busy) I have done it many times. Also most are not illegal to fly over so take off and land out side the park. National Parks are off bounds though. I'm sure Calgary would be a difficult city to fly in.

I am from that area as well.

There are actually a lot of nice locations to fly South/West of the City before you get to Banff that you are free to fly in:

2021-10-13_103245.jpg
The map uses colour to identify areas that require additional caution, or are prohibited from drone flights. Areas filled with red are prohibited. Areas filled with yellow require additional caution due to other air traffic. Areas filled with orange require permission from Nav Canada, Parks Canada, National Defence, or an airport operator.

Not sure why the map suggests you can fly in Provincial parks but you can't without permission or unless you start your flight outside of the park.

New to this forum. Haven't flown too much in the 4 yrs that I've had the machine.
I waited for all the rules and regulations to be sorted.
I have Basic pilot certification, but I still feel there are so many restrictions, especially in National and Provincial Parks. The City is also very restrictive! So finding an area to fly and film seems to be quite difficult.
Yeah, most of Calgary is part of the control zone for Calgary International Airport. That's one reason I took my Mini when I visited relatives there this year — so I could get some images of the Bow River (specifically Harvie Passage).

As Agustine mentioned, use the NRC site selection tool. There's a lot of great scenery within an hour or two drive that isn't restricted. The ranchlands around Bragg Creek, for example. Badlands near Drumheller (although be careful of helicopter tours in some of the canyons). There's a lot of land in the mountains that is public land but not a park, so OK for flying there.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo