DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro camera black after rebuild

mutti_wilson

Reactions
I recently clipped some tree branches at speed which sent my Mavic Pro into the ground. I broke the middle frame, bent the gimbal and broke the mounting plate. I bought a gimbal with a ribbon already attached a new middle frame, PTZ cable and gimbal mount. I swapped everything over and powered it up. Had some calibrations that needed to be done but the camera is now black. The gimbal works as it should and it flies fine, but I have no image. When I press record for a video it sometimes starts, most of the time does not. I am not able to take a picture. I did get one 2 second long black video. I reset all the camera settings to no avail. The AF box flashes on the screen if that means anything. Could I have gotten a bad PTZ cable? The camera board looked just fine as did all the other cables that I didn't replace.

I recently clipped some tree branches at speed which sent my Mavic Pro into the ground. I broke the middle frame, bent the gimbal and broke the mounting plate. I bought a gimbal with a ribbon already attached a new middle frame, PTZ cable and gimbal mount. I swapped everything over and powered it up. Had some calibrations that needed to be done but the camera is now black. The gimbal works as it should and it flies fine, but I have no image. When I press record for a video it sometimes starts, most of the time does not. I am not able to take a picture. I did get one 2 second long black video. I reset all the camera settings to no avail. The AF box flashes on the screen if that means anything. Could I have gotten a bad PTZ cable? The camera board looked just fine as did all the other cables that I didn't replace.
The least expensive part (and most likely the one that is failing you) is the ribbon cable. That is, if ou are sure that the camera didn't suffer any damage (doesn't have to be visible).

Reactions: Thomas B
The least expensive part (and most likely the one that is failing you) is the ribbon cable. That is, if ou are sure that the camera didn't suffer any damage (doesn't have to be visible).
The flat ribbon cable or the stranded cable? The gimbal I bought had the flat cable with it. I replaced the stranded cable with a new one although it could be bad. I did order another one and will swap it to check. The gimbal appears to work properly which would mean the flat cable is working right?

The flat ribbon cable or the stranded cable? The gimbal I bought had the flat cable with it. I replaced the stranded cable with a new one although it could be bad. I did order another one and will swap it to check. The gimbal appears to work properly which would mean the flat cable is working right?
I meant the cable that came with the gimbal. This is what I would look into first. And no, if the gimbal is working correctly, the camera doesn't have to. It just means that the gimbal signal is coming through, one or more lines inside the cable designated for camera could still be broken.

Edit: Are you sure the cable is seated all the way in the socket? Please, check that first, be sure not to force anything, but still push it into the socket firmly.

Reactions: Thomas B
I meant the cable that came with the gimbal. This is what I would look into first. And no, if the gimbal is working correctly, the camera doesn't have to. It just means that the gimbal signal is coming through, one or more lines inside the cable designated for camera could still be broken.

Edit: Are you sure the cable is seated all the way in the socket? Please, check that first, be sure not to force anything, but still push it into the socket firmly.
I will check. Just to clarify the video signal is sent over the stranded silver cable and the gimbal functions are transmitted over the flat black ribbon cable (this came with the gimbal).

I will check. Just to clarify the video signal is sent over the stranded silver cable and the gimbal functions are transmitted over the flat black ribbon cable (this came with the gimbal).
I'm sure someone more technically versed than me can verify that, I'm not sure. Just trying to get you to check basic things that could save you the trouble of sending the drone in for repair, which means connection of the cable. Could be the camera itself. Could be something else entirely because of the impact.

Reactions: mutti_wilson
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S